Notices

Long term drinkers

Old 11-22-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My blood panel was fine too until this last round, 10 months into total abstinence from alcohol. My fasting glucose is always good, too. But even when my a1c was coming back normal, I was testing myself- and I would go high after eating any carbs. And often, eating something sweet? Nothing! My friend who is diabetic gets the same thing. He eats carbs- boom, high blood sugar. Eat a slice of pie? Nothing. I am convinced carbs are just bad, bad bad. My numbers prove it. So I have cut back greatly. I am not a big sweets person and love a dark, bitter chocolate.

My downfalls are very specific items. Croissants, pizza, grilled cheese and fluffy "coffee" drinks... and peanut butter and chocolate ice cream. I am a big stress eater too. Lately if I do slip up I get right on the stepper and do 10 minutes, or do a brisk 10 minute walk no matter where I am.

on that note... I found a bread at Trader Joe's that is only 7 carbs per slice- [pretty great!
Old 11-22-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeh, sleeps, I get this blood sugar crash thing too. Been eating vast quantities of chocolate icecream as a substitute for alcohol - in that regard, I'm a bit like you, insofar as I'm baffled by these odd changes throughout the last five years of my recovery, which for me has been very on / off / on / off - right up to these past ten days, when i've drunk on five out of those days. (Of course, you haven't done THAT, as per your 11 month sober 'birthday').

What I'm saying is: I've only had the choc icecream substitute addiction seemingly outta the blue over the past twelve or so months. Never felt drawn to sweet stuff previously. I mention it to my GP often, and we both know that it's not a great thing at all for my health (or teeth, which are already wrecked!).

Sometimes - often - I simply don't have the appetite for proper food, and eat the icecream instead; other times, I do eat properly. Wtf...Needless to say, I've got way too uncomfortably fat, blurgghh. But some days, I have to say to myself - 'well, I haven't picked up booze today, so it could be MUCH worse'. MUCH worse.

That's what I wanted to say over on your 11 month thread that z started for you - 'yes, you've had some frightful things to contend with, and still do; but by gee, remember how much worse - MUCH worse - you would be feeling if you were back on the boozing/ using merry-go-round'. To date, you've achieved so much. And, yes, it's damn frustrating to still contend with all the other stuff - but you haven't given in to boozing / using!
Old 11-22-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Re the thread title , long term drinkers: I certainly qualify as one of them. First actual drunk episode about aged 15; I'm now closing in on 61 y.o. Only a few years in my twenties when I rarely drank, or only smoked grass (old fashioned term from the 70s :-)).

Do the maths; it's not pretty. But I've some periods of good continuous sobriety in the last several years, so far never more than 7 months. What's the upside? : well, if I hadn't achieved any of that, I'd be dead or at the very least, dying slowly and agonisingly.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi - bemyself - long term drinker myself - closing in on 61 years old - 10 months on the sober path. But oh, those years of booze, booze and more booze. Just can't do that anymore. My husband remains, as always, quite distant. Yet, I'm finding peace here and there. Mostly in my grandchildren's soft smiles.
Oh - and yes - the coconut ice cream and dark chocolate is swell!!!

Last edited by graced333; 11-22-2016 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added more input
Old 11-22-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I sorta get the IRL support thing. I felt pretty alone. I still have kids and wife however. but i have no local IRL friends. prior to this site I had only 1 other IRL friend. so coming here helped i know a few friends i talk to regularly from all over but again no one local. its usually not a big issue but just today i thought I wanna go a movie (a rare thing for me) and was like but i got no one to go with my wife wont wanna see this movie so wtf do i do figured pff i'll just go alone who cares i guess. Once in a blue moon a situation like that arises.

I guess a big part of my problem with not meeting people in IRL is i'm bad about being social. I dont like to waste my time iwth a bunch of aquaintences etc.. and I'm not tolerant of very much out of other people so its pretty common for me to be done with someone and unable to let a friendship progress either because they are that bad or i'm just that intolerant i dunno. Either way it is what it is.

I wish I had a solution for the IRL problem it does sound ideal to have IRL support from people who genuinely "get it" and are "there".

I chalk it up to in a perfect world .... kinda thing anymore myself.
This is so me.. thanks for sharing that zjw. I don't even do FB or any of the other social media stuff.. it seems like such a waste of time. I'd rather hike, bike, read a book or work in the yard. Cheers..