Notices

Numb toes after quitting drinking?

Old 11-17-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Numb toes after quitting drinking?

Hi,

I progressed really rapidly in my late 20's and by 29 was a full blown alcoholic, eventually having around 20 seizures due to withdrawal. I got sober and was sober for a couple years, and relapsed. My relapse lasted for around 6 months, and towards the end I felt like my toes were always numb. I also have bad anxiety, so it's hard for me to tell if it's my anxiety-ridden brain tricking me, or if my toes actually are numb. I can feel them when I touch them, they just feel a little "off". I am taking clonazepam, albeit less and less each day, so that I wouldn't have a seizure. I also still have mild shakes (much better than the first few days obviously), again, it's tough for me to tell if it's because I'm anxious or if it's due to withdrawals. I've googled a bunch but haven't found anything particularly useful. I'm uninsured, so I'm reticent to go to the hospital. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on being an active member of these forums. Thanks a ton in advance.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dominic and Welcome

Numbness is not really something you should ignore. It could be as simple as a pinched nerve or it could be something more serious.

Maybe you could get some advice and a looksee at a free clinic?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding Scale Clinics | NeedyMeds
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
Call 2-1-1

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D
Old 11-17-2016, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Like Dee said, I'd get it checked out. I have anxiety too and get pins and needles in my feet and hands when I'm panicking. I used to sit badly for hours when I was drinking (I have a habit of sitting on my feet) and had bad circulation in one foot because I did it for so long but it's all okay now once I stopped it and gave it a while. If you're worrying about it, it's probably making your anxiety worse so nothing wrong with getting confirmation from a doctor!
Old 11-17-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

i had this and still have this. I went to a neurologist test after test they thought maybe i had diabetic neropathy but never gave me a diagnoses or could figure it out as I didnt have diabetes. I sobered up and thought the same thing mayeb its from all the drinking or the fact that i was so obese or maybe it was because i smoked 2 plus packs a day.

Here i am 5+ years later. still have issues cold hands cold feet lack of sensation in my toes etc.. and no one knows. I just assume it is what it is in my case.

I hope it works out for you.

ONe thing that has kinda helped me tho is going around barefoot as much as possible and wearing barefoot type shoes has seemed to help wake up those feet so i'm feeling a little more these days then before I'll give it that much.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR dominic. You've gotten a lot of good advice here already, i'd add that as a health anxiety sufferer I've had lots of physical symptoms that were rooted in anxiety as well. If you can get access to a free clinic somewhere that could help calm you. Don't rule out checking into free/sliding fee anxiety counseling/therapy too. If your anxiety is indeed the problem there are lots of ways to deal with that too.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dominic22 View Post

towards the end I felt like my toes were always numb
Years ago due I think to excessive smoking cigarettes my toes had bad circulation and were slightly purple. I quit smoking and things got better but, still saw a doctor.

Our toes being at the very bottom of our bodies tell us and doctors a lot -- possible heart disease etc etc. -- be safe and see your doctor.

M-Bob
Old 11-17-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

i even read too tight shoes can be a culprit too even who new. but still best to get it checked out.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it doesn't stop soon I would go to a clinic. Alcohol directly effects the central nervous system, circulation, and many other things. During my withdrawls I had a weird pain in my calves, but they went away after a few days. But this could be something serious. I am a type 1 diabetic and I know that tingling/numbness in the feet could mean bad circulation and problems with the nervous system. I would see a doc if I were you.