SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Journey to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/400504-journey-recovery.html)

BrokenW 11-16-2016 06:27 AM

Journey to Recovery

Well.. last night was one of my good friends' birthday. My best friend and I were at my house watching movies when he called and asked us to go out. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since my car accident and DUI. I knew that if I hung out with him that I would end up drinking. I hadnt necessarily chosen to go the sober route but I do feel a sense of hesitation when I think about drinking. We arrived to his house and I went straight to the freezer to pour a tall cup of brown liquor. It normally takes a lot to get me drunk, but I've slowed down a lot since the incident. We went to a school event that was horribly lame. Drinking didn't make the event better like it normally does. We came back to his house and I began to drink more since I wasn't going to drive anyway. My best friend didn't drink at all. The night was so boring. My best friend took me home and I woke up with the worst headache. That usually doesn't happen. I don't think drinking gives me that same sense of fulfillment anymore. I've had so much on my mind since the incident that I can't really enjoy social events. I always end up throwing awkward jokes about my situation into the conversation. I literally can't help it lol. But yea, I'm pretty sure that a sober life is in my future. Things just don't feel the same anymore.

sleepie 11-16-2016 06:29 AM

my car accident and DUI
Big red flag... could have been worse.

Why repeat a thing that has already resulted in consequences?

ScottFromWI 11-16-2016 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by BrokenW (Post 6210580)
But yea, I'm pretty sure that a sober life is in my future. Things just don't feel the same anymore.

Glad to hear that you are leaning that way Broken. I think you are finally seeing what most of us did - that alcohol itself, and actually drinking it , is only a small part of what addiction really is. And that being "sober" is much, much more than just "not drinking". Nearly all of us have underlying issues to our addiction - depression, anxiety, OCD, there's a laundry list of possibilities. The good news, though, is that being sober gives you a much better chance of addressing those problems and fixing them - which you can never do if you keep drinking.

There's lots of support and understanding here if you decide that sobriety is what you want, I hope you make that choice!

BrokenW 11-16-2016 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 6210612)
Glad to hear that you are leaning that way Broken. I think you are finally seeing what most of us did - that alcohol itself, and actually drinking it , is only a small part of what addiction really is. And that being "sober" is much, much more than just "not drinking". Nearly all of us have underlying issues to our addiction - depression, anxiety, OCD, there's a laundry list of possibilities. The good news, though, is that being sober gives you a much better chance of addressing those problems and fixing them - which you can never do if you keep drinking.

There's lots of support and understanding here if you decide that sobriety is what you want, I hope you make that choice!

Thank you for your positivity

entropy1964 11-16-2016 10:32 AM

Hey Broken

I'm glad you're thinking about quitting. It sounds like you are young and if you're an alcoholic that means you have a lot of years for this condition to progress. Why not choose to live the happy life you had planned for yourself, without alcohol? Or you can roll the dice and probably have worsening consequences than the DUI you had a couple weeks ago.

You can do it! And if you feel you need more support, find some face to face groups. AA, Smart, Celebrate Recovery to name a few.

Delilah1 11-16-2016 12:41 PM

Hi Broken,

Glad you are here, and thinking about sobriety. I guarantee you will never wake up regretting remaining sober the night before. It isn't always easy, but you can do this!!

BrokenW 11-16-2016 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Delilah1 (Post 6211011)
Hi Broken,

Glad you are here, and thinking about sobriety. I guarantee you will never wake up regretting remaining sober the night before. It isn't always easy, but you can do this!!

Thank you for your positivity. It's strongly needed. :)

GerandTwine 11-17-2016 06:46 AM

Hi BW,
You have the capacity, right now, to determine whether you EVER again will have the experience of being under the influence of alcohol.

As a member of the cohort of young men in the US who have just experienced their first DUI, the odds are, here two and a half weeks post accident and arrest, that you WILL experience getting drunk again.

Now think, what IF you were to NEVER have another drink for the rest of your life, starting right now?
What are your feelings and thoughts around that prospect?

You may not know much about recovery at this point, so it's useful to know that quitting for good can be, and very often is, done without spending any time at all in recovery groups.

GT

BrokenW 11-17-2016 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by GerandTwine (Post 6211989)
Hi BW,
You have the capacity, right now, to determine whether you EVER again will have the experience of being under the influence of alcohol.

As a member of the cohort of young men in the US who have just experienced their first DUI, the odds are, here two and a half weeks post accident and arrest, that you WILL experience getting drunk again.

Now think, what IF you were to NEVER have another drink for the rest of your life, starting right now?
What are your feelings and thoughts around that prospect?

You may not know much about recovery at this point, so it's useful to know that quitting for good can be, and very often is, done without spending any time at all in recovery groups.

GT

Thank you. That really made me stop and think for a second.

Algorithm 11-20-2016 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by BrokenW (Post 6212013)
Thank you. That really made me stop and think for a second.

So, what is your plan, BrokenW? Are you going to drink again, or are you not?

Your court date is coming up, and unless you have a rock star attorney, you will probably be inducted into the DUI Court-MADD-RGM industrial complex. That means DUI school classes, a MADD Victim Impact Panel, AA meetings, and drug/alcohol testing for probation.

You do not want the DUI Court-MADD-RGM industrial complex to catch you drinking again when they test you for drugs and alcohol. You will probably have to abstain for a year or more. You definitely do not want to get a second DUI, or you will be in a world of hurt.

Let us know how the trial goes.