Notices

Poll: What have you learned?

Old 11-13-2016, 11:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Poll: What have you learned?

What have you learned in recovery? Did you have to learn a lot of things for the first time? How to be honest? How to let things go?

I think I am learning that recovery is about facing fear and looking at reality.

Please share anything you have learned during your journey.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I learned to be stupid. To stop over complicating things. I've talked myself into hundreds of relapses over 21 years.

The first time i went to an AA meeting was in june of 1995. A guy at the table said you can be too smart for this program. "keep it simple"

8 months into my sobriety, in my 21st year attempting to get sober, i think i finally get it. better late than never i guess.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There is a god and it's not me.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

1) that I have emotional management problems
2) im not invincible and often hang on by a thread
3) that i dont know how to forgive and forget
4) that I have trouble accepting being me without alcohol
5) that i dont understand lots of things about myself
6) that my anxiety works on DURACELL
7) that i have vertigo attacks when in stressfull situations
8) that i could become addicted to anything and everything
9) that i have no rock bottom if i dont stop
10) that its so important to try to make others happy
11) that theres some good in everyone
12) that i need help
Old 11-14-2016, 02:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

The realization that life is perception and I can bring far more positive energy to myself by removing me from the equation. In other words life is not all about me. I would have laughed at anyone who told me I thought that way previously but now I've found the more useful I am to others, removing my feelings and my expectations of what's coming in return, the more peace and joy I experience.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
I think I am learning that recovery is about facing fear and looking at reality.
That's a pretty astute statement and I'd agree. I've learned that almost all of my problems surrounding my addiction ( the addiction itself, anxiety, etc ) were based in my unwillingness to accept responsibility and face reality for what it is.

I've also learned that facing reality and accepting responsibility for my actions is not nearly as scary or difficult as I once imagined.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

i dunno probably to many to list. but I have realized that to some degree things where moving along ok for me prior to drinking like crazy. I did not need to bite off more then i could chew. I did not need too look for some way to make life better or easier or more tolerable or something by drinking.

things are not perfect now. they where not perfect before i drank really either. But they where far worse when i drank.

One thing that does still concern me is extreme situations outside of my control. For example my abusive upbringing as a child i had no way to cope with this. no idea and the abuse was outside of my control. Granted now that I'm an adult I may have a few more options available to me if i'm ever in another extreme situation again (and I'm sure I will be) but there is that what if? what if? Tho that what if is proabbly just my AV constantly trying to plot my demise.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I've learned that A is A, This is This, and I'm an alcoholic.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Obviously, I have learned that I cannot drink no matter what and that this is a very serious thing in my life, not one to be neglected.

Like others, I have also found that things are often not as complicated and threatening as my mind makes them seem. I have definitely experienced a great reduction in anxiety and learned how not to cause more anxiety to myself with poor decisions, procrastination etc.

I feel I have become a better communicator with a wide range of people, much less self-absorbed and more attentive.

Definitely learning how to accept reality without altering it artificially, denying parts of it, or escaping into fantasy worlds much.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've learned a lot, too much to post.

One of the most important things I learned is that life becomes a lot easier when I quit playing God and let Him have his job back.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

What did I learn?

Exactly how much I don't know! I am still working through all this.