Notices

Things that keep me strong ...

Old 11-11-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things that keep me strong ...

It's been many years since I had a drink and life is so much better now. But every once in a while, it's nice to have something happen that causes me to look back and reinforce why I will never go back to that dark place again.

I rarely get sick, but I woke up this morning feeling pretty bad. As the morning progressed, it got worse and worse. I started to feel and do all those unpleasant things I once did every morning when I had a hangover. I've now progressed to a pretty bad case of the flu.

That's when the realization hit me. For YEARS I voluntarily gave myself the same symptoms EVERY morning. I feel so terrible right now and I was actually doing this to myself for what at the time seemed like FUN!

I'm sure not happy about having the flu today, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to reflect and realize how having the flu for a day or two helps keep me strong by bringing up painful memories.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great observation DoneDying, and I have felt that way too. It makes no sense at all that we used to make ourselves feel like this day after day, but then again addiction doesn't make sense ever. I hope you feel better soon and get some rest.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Perspective in unexpected places

I saw another thread like this.. in a bizarre way, he relished the fact it was just flu and not a hangover... I had a migraine this morning from mild dehydration, after overindulging in sleep.. lol I was deprived, but I overcompensated.. And it really reminded me of a hangover, and yeah, you really do go "Why did I put myself through this every single morning?"
Old 11-11-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

get well soon DD

D
Old 11-11-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know what you mean. When I'm sick, I wonder how the hell I did that to myself every day. I love waking up sober. I wake up happy most of the time. (except for when Jack was missing)
Old 11-11-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by least View Post
I love waking up sober.
I love sleeping sober! lying down, getting cozy, drifting off (not flopping down and passing out) sleeping thru the night (not getting up a few hours later to pee then toss for the next four hours) and dreaming. Best thing about waking up sober tho is remembering how you got into bed in the first place! :^>
Old 11-11-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're so right, DoneDying. What were we thinking?!

Feel better soon.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is a great thread!

I am going on 9mo sober and in the past couple of months have had a couple of colds and one bout of strep. It all sucked but I did think "you know, maybe this is my immune system working out some kinks" still around from how very, very sick I got myself before I quit in Feb. And that made me feel better while I was feeling bad

And the things like headaches- now bc of too much or too little caffeine, or such- a (now rare) bruise that I actually remember how I got it, any of that....bodies are indeed resilient and can heal but I never want alcohol to be the reason mine has to bounce back again.