Notices

Daylight "savings".

Old 11-06-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daylight "savings".

Seems somewhat depressing. 5:30 and it is already dark here. Anyone else feel like this messes with their internal clock?

This bugs me. I feel trapped in here, unable to go outside, and now it seems like all this additional darkness just wastes the night into nothing. Hard to explain.

Tried watching TV.
Tried some reading.
This was the time where I would just start drinking and relaxing to make the night "go faster".
Old 11-06-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

This time of the year is a love/hate thing. I did underestimate it though, beings I'm sober this time. I don't really have cravings anymore... but you're right, this is the time of day I'd be starting in on the bourbon.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We don't do daylight savings time here. I also don't like the long cold nights tho. We seem to get 10 months of winter here. Haha
Old 11-06-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Never had to worry about daylight savings after moving to Arizona
Old 11-06-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm all backwards. I get more anxious in the summer....too much light and long days. I do adjust somewhat but it's hard. I love the coziness, cold and darkness of winter. I'm definitely in the minority. I need to move to Norway or something.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

Yeah this time of year, and especially this weekend when it gets "official" can really be a bummer. Kind a turns me into a couch potato early than I'd like, but knowing it's coming and living with it while it's here really just requires some adjustments and a little maybe hard to come by effort to offset the effects, yeah?
The AV is the only thing that would try and take this universal 'dilemma' and try to refocus or repackage it as a special consideration centered on alcohol consumption. My AV is the only thing that thinks that since I drank in the past , which is true but irrelevant , has even an iota of consideration concerning drinking , much,less the relative position of the sun to the horizon and the hands of the clock.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We do have less daylight now. Because daylight saving time just ENDED.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I'll be the first to admit I do not like it when the time changes. I don't like having less daylight in general, but getting dark at 5PM does bum me out. This time of the year brings up some particularly difficult emotions for me already and the darkness, coupled with the cold, is just guilty by association. So, yeah, I can relate.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is nothing that will make me drink this time around.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

FYI just stumbled across this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mental-health/
Old 11-06-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I learned, while backpacking, to accept and embrace the darkness. I quit making campfires. I wander in the woods at night with no flashlight or headlamp. I found I could adapt to the darkness.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
Seems somewhat depressing. 5:30 and it is already dark here. Anyone else feel like this messes with their internal clock?

This bugs me. I feel trapped in here, unable to go outside, and now it seems like all this additional darkness just wastes the night into nothing. Hard to explain.

Tried watching TV.
Tried some reading.
This was the time where I would just start drinking and relaxing to make the night "go faster".
I am the opposite. Leaving for work in the dark was making me crazy!!
Old 11-07-2016, 01:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can relate. I started a new job 2 weeks ago with the hours being 7 to 5. It's out of town so I end up leaving an hour earlier to get there on time. This entails driving through a thick forest that becomes a winding road with hellacious curves decending through a deep canyon. I leave for work in the dark and when the work day is over, arrive home in the dark as well.
Not only is the driive nerve wracking because of the nature of it( I fear a collision with wildlife), arriving home in the dark and leaving in the dark gives my psyche the impression that I missed out on the whole day. Less quality time with family and friends cause the darkness tellse its time to
sleep. I also did a lot of my drinking at night . Light just gives me more pep and hope in general.Man do I miss the long days of summer.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post

I am the opposite. Leaving for work in the dark was making me crazy!!
This part is a good tradeoff for me. I do appreciate seeing daylight when I wake up in the morning.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm all for just getting rid of Daylight Savings Time altogether. I'm a morning person, so I don't like it when it stays light until 9pm during the summer.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I'm all backwards. I get more anxious in the summer....too much light and long days. I do adjust somewhat but it's hard. I love the coziness, cold and darkness of winter. I'm definitely in the minority. I need to move to Norway or something.
I'm along the same lines as you, frick. Not quite that much, but I have found as I am sober and going into winter (and maybe because I am older, ha!), I really like it when night falls. The light stimulus in my apartment because of the way it faces and because floor to ceiling windows line the sunny side, is too much for me. I like being awake during the day, but I feel calm at home, at night. By the end, I was drinking 24/7 except when asleep (badly) so that time of day for drinking thing became largely irrelevant

I'm also increasingly a fan of boots and jeans and pretty coats, not sundresses and tank tops! #thisis40

In Atlanta, though, the nightfall might shift but the weather remains unpredictable pretty much....all winter long. I don't look forward to the rain and junk of Jan/Feb, but that's many sober days from now!

Just glad to be here for all of it, I guess!
Old 11-08-2016, 01:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wonderful article. I was falling asleep at 8pm and waking up at 3am. So I was told to reset my "clock" by staying up from 3am till 10pm the next night.

The result? I'm up at 4am.

It messes with a lot of people. Now, I don't know to get up or try to sleep?
Old 11-08-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Agree with FBL.

I love the night and gray skies though.... Find them calming.

Oddly as I move into my 40's I actually wore dresses this summer for literally the first time in my life as well... There are inks, and scars and I can't care anymore. I live in tank tops and boots normally.

But a scarf and a little lip color I am convinced can brighten a day... Shop for some bright scarves, behindblueeyes?
Old 11-08-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ya'll should move on up here to the PNW. Dark when I get up and dark again eight hours later in December.

No likey.

I do likey Miranda as Sleepy's AV, tho. :-P
Old 11-08-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zjw

i hate it with a passion. teh time change thing just set the clocks 30 min in the middle and leave it the FRICK ALONE!.

now shorter days longer days theres no avoiding that really cept maybe moving more south can help. I get used to it the shorter days but it is a bit frustrating becuase i feel as if i'm solar powerd so the min that sun is going down i'm ready to be a slug. this i can be pretty frustrating when its still pretty early. I suppose i could adapt I just havent yet *sigh*.