Notices

Tense environment

Old 11-05-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tense environment

Hello, I am getting started with this (6 weeks sober) and I am living in a pretty toxic environment with a partner who suffers from anxiety disorders and alcohol. I have a 3 year old reason not to leave but I am struggling to keep it together.

My question is this... do you know of any alternatives that can help at the moment of stress / conflict? No substances or anything... but something to do?

In the past, in the heat of the moment, knowing I had to keep calm, I would always turn to alcohol, even though I knew it was hurting more than it helped. Without it, I think I feel better in general but I don't know how to handle the Conflicts.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-05-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Meditation and exercise best of luck! I'm in a bad place myself but I just want to say hi
Old 11-05-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you are in danger, contact the authorities.

Glad you are here.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Still learning how to delete doubles.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is a resource list in this forum which I have pasted below.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

If you choose to go to an AA meeting they usually have phone lists of people who are OK with you calling them.

also there is this

Someone To Talk To, Online Therapy & Free Counseling - 7 Cups of Tea

And you could also just go outside and take a walk around the block to let off a little steam.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

That was going to be my suggestion, go for a walk. Remove yourself from the situation, get some alone time to process the situation. Think about your reaction. Choose your battles, is the conflict at hand something you really need to fight?

Also, how is this affecting your three year old?
Old 11-06-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

4-7-8 breathing technique
Old 11-06-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agree with all of the above. Meditate, exercise, get outside, just breathe.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes! I am very happy to report I have learned how to relieve stress without alcohol. There's only a million and a half ways! Good on you for showing the desire to make these changes, it's important to find alternatives, otherwise sobriety won't work.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are you today, Catnip?

I feel for you. Living and/or working around a lot of tension is just not healthy...especially if it is on-going and/or chronic.

Granted, there are going to be times in life when things are tense. But if it's a lot of the time or if it is taking place frequently in the home, that really sucks big time. Home should be a place where you can ease your worries, tension, stress and you should be able to relax in your own home; take a load off.

If your SO has baseline anxiety as well as alcoholism, it 's like you're getting a double whammy. Living with someone who is anxious is hard enough as it is; they have a hard time relaxing and then it can be hard to relax in their presence. We tend to "take on" the anxiety of others around us.

So, what to do....

If he tries to pick a fight, don't engage. Detach, and don't engage. Some people are amazing in how they can pick fights though, so that can be a lot harder than it sounds.

Would he be willing for counseling? For him and for you as a couple? He would REALLY benefit from counseling for his anxiety. My husband did that and it made a big positive difference. As far as the alcohol goes, he is most likely partly drinking as a way to cope with his anxiety.

It's very hard to not let him rub off on you. When things get too intense or you are on the verge of a fight, can you take the little one and go somewhere; go for a drive, or a walk or do something fun?

Is he abusive? Or, just hard to live with? If you are indeed in danger you need help right away. I'm not sure how 'bad' it is.....

OK: I ended up writing more than I thought, but I hope it helps.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Meditation, exercise, walking, music...all great suggestions.

Toxic environments are difficult though. I can't survive in themy long. I guess there must be some impact on that 3 year old too? Kids are sensitive, like sponges, I always heard.

Very difficult. I grew up in a toxic household. I still remember the sense of unease around the house and have no doubt it had a lasting impact over the years.

But when my folks finally split...at 14 for me...looking back, that had a lasting impact too.

Who's to say? Make sure you have people to talk to would be my advice. Professionals. Or a Support Group. People who have been through similar experiences and can support you while you come to decisions.

Keeping a clear sober head yourself will help

Good luck

P