Notices

Ready to take this seriously

Old 11-03-2016, 12:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to take this seriously

I guess I made this account 3 years ago, which is when I started questioning whether I had a problem, but I always managed to find a way to justify it to myself

Well since then things went downhill fast, I was in a terrible co-dependent relationship, we would drink together daily. I was able to get myself out of that relationship and get back on my feet financially.. I moved to a new city but it's a party location so again I justified drinking "socially", it's almost funny how I thought this could work out somehow.

I was holding down a job until a few days ago, there were other factors beyond drinking but I overslept and was late due to being hung over and that was the final straw. I've been single for over 6 months but am talking to someone, we might make it official but I know he doesn't like the way I drink.. So at this point I can't deny that drinking has interfered with my life and caused real problems.

I've wanted a change for a long time but I guess needed a wake up call. I think the most difficult part will be severing ties with my drinking buddies.. I'm not sure how to navigate that since they really are my good and only friends here.

Anyway just wanted to reach out here since I don't have many people I can talk to about this..
Old 11-03-2016, 12:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back seabreeze

D
Old 11-03-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi seabreeze, welcome back to SR.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Seabreeze.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope this time you are successful at getting sober for good.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support!

Technically this is my first real attempt since I was so in denial about it.. I thought if I could cut back I'd be fine as long as I wasn't drinking everyday. But my tolerance has only increased of course and blacking out is now the norm

I've wasted the first half of my twenties but I know I can't and don't want to live this way for years to come so I guess it's time to actually take responsibility
Old 11-03-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Seabreeze. I think almost all of us tried the "I'll just cut back" thing at least once or twice. I personally tried just about every moderation method known to exist, and even invented some of my own! None of them worked of course.

Think of it this way though...you are still in your mid 20's and have your entire life ahead of you to change and move forward. Many of us literally drank for decades before we make the realization that we needed to quit - so you are way ahead of the game in that respect.

Responsibility is very important, and so is having some kind of plan. You'll hear a lot of people ask you what your "plan" is - and it can mean a whole lot of different things. Some folks use very structured plans like meeting based recovery ( AA, Smart, LifeRing, etc ). Some use self-led plans like AVRT. Others seek counseling, rehab, etc. Doesn't really matter which ones you use as long as you use something. Some of us even use SR as our main home base for our recovery. Stick around and you can learn a lot about all of these things and probably several not listed too!
Old 11-03-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yes welcome back.

I also started on this Forum 3 years ago, stayed sober for about 4 months and then went back to daily drinking.

I am again newly sober and also plan to take it seriously this time. When I quit drinking in 2013 I still wanted to drink. Now I have no desire to drink at all.
The anxiety and depression I experience when I do not have alcohol in me is too overwhelming to live with.

For me "cutting back" never worked. I am an all or nothing type of person. I could never just have one drink. It was either stay sober or get drunk.