Notices

Do I need help?

Old 11-01-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I need help?

Hi,

I am 22 and am questioning my drinking. My senior year of college I started drinking nearly everyday anywhere from 4 beers to half a bottle of liquor a night (Went about a year and a half). I now work full time and it has not effected me at work. I typically drink at my home while watching tv or playing video games and so forth. I haven't drank until puking since college. I was looking for advice on what I should do. I have never had withdrawal symptoms while stopping. The only thing that has changed is a blood pressure increase. I haven't had a drink in 72 hours at this point and have felt fine the whole time. Any advice from you guys?
Old 11-01-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR!

Only you can really know if Alcohol is a problem for you, but there are certainly lots of "red flags" to look for. Drinking half a bottle of liquor a night will eventually do a lot of damage to your body - so even though you may not be feeling the effects yet you will some day. The problem is you never know when it will happen - you could theoretically keep drinking that much for years, but liver disease and even death can happen to people from too much alcohol consumption even in their 20's.

You say that drinking isn't causing you any problems right now, I'm wondering what prompted you to come on a sobriety forum and ask your question? Are you experiencing some problems you aren't listing perhaps?
Old 11-01-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome to SR!

Only you can really know if Alcohol is a problem for you, but there are certainly lots of "red flags" to look for. Drinking half a bottle of liquor a night will eventually do a lot of damage to your body - so even though you may not be feeling the effects yet you will some day. The problem is you never know when it will happen - you could theoretically keep drinking that much for years, but liver disease and even death can happen to people from too much alcohol consumption even in their 20's.

You say that drinking isn't causing you any problems right now, I'm wondering what prompted you to come on a sobriety forum and ask your question? Are you experiencing some problems you aren't listing perhaps?
That is the only changes I've had. I've notice that my tolerance went up in college but I can surpass a half a fifth if I wanted to. I wanted to ask because I figured I would see what people think I guess.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by GreatGansbino View Post
That is the only changes I've had. I've notice that my tolerance went up in college but I can surpass a half a fifth if I wanted to. I wanted to ask because I figured I would see what people think I guess.
Well, based on what you've told us you are ( or at least were ) binge drinking on a daily basis - so that' a red flag. The fact that you would "want to" surpass half a fifth is also a red flag - there is no good reason to ever consume that amount of alcohol in one session. The fact that you drink these kinds of quantities on your own at home is also a red flag.

So while you may still not be feeling physical damage, there's definitely a lot signs that your drinking has crossed into the abusive spectrum.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Well, based on what you've told us you are ( or at least were ) binge drinking on a daily basis - so that' a red flag. The fact that you would "want to" surpass half a fifth is also a red flag - there is no good reason to ever consume that amount of alcohol in one session. The fact that you drink these kinds of quantities on your own at home is also a red flag.

So while you may still not be feeling physical damage, there's definitely a lot signs that your drinking has crossed into the abusive spectrum.
I meant I couldn't surpass a half a bottle if I wanted to, sorry. However I thank you for the advice. My tolerance has been steady for about a year now. I didn't drink until 20 and I couldn't really drink much. I'm 5 foot 7 and 175 lbs if that says anything as well. I don't really go out because bars are expensive. I'll have friends over to the apartment occasionally to hang out.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why do you think (enough to be researching online, and even setting up a profile on a sobriety and recovery forum ) that your drinking might be problematic. You're telling us lots of reasons that you think it's okay, but presumably something promoted this questioning.

Have you done the online questionnaire on the AA website or similar? Thing is, you're focussing on the physical side of things. Number of drinks, this count, that count, etc. At the end of the day, that is only part of the bigger picture. Alcohol makes areas of lives unmanageable - health is actually only part of it, and as you're young then you may be able to get away with a lot of the physical effects (for now anyway). How is it affecting your relationships, your finances, how you view yourself, your behaviour, your mental health (it causes depression and anxiety in many people, as well as arrested emotional development ).

Maybe have a little go at this ..
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...ntVP2DV8-Ejzng
https://www.ncadd.org/get-help/take-...olic-self-test
Addiction Self-Test: AUDIT, Alcoholism, CAGE Screening
Old 11-01-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Berrybean;6194043]Why do you think (enough to be researching online, and even setting up a profile on a sobriety and recovery forum ) that your drinking might be problematic. You're telling us lots of reasons that you think it's okay, but presumably something promoted this questioning.

Have you done the online questionnaire on the AA website or similar? Thing is, you're focussing on the physical side of things. Number of drinks, this count, that count, etc. At the end of the day, that is only part of the bigger picture. Alcohol makes areas of lives unmanageable - health is actually only part of it, and as you're young then you may be able to get away with a lot of the physical effects (for now anyway). How is it affecting your relationships, your finances, how you view yourself, your behaviour, your mental health (it causes depression and anxiety in many people, as well as arrested emotional development ).

anonymous.org.uk/download/1/PDFs/Who%2520me.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwi49pL6oYjQAhWrDMAKHRvrAD 4QFggqMAc&usg=AFQjCNFHCrtQ2qhB3Q8y3GYaMei7rpL6iA&s ig2=

Thanks! I think even after these few comments I just will continue not to drink. Like I said I don't need it, I just liked catching a buzz.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a good decision to me Gansbino

D
Old 11-01-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you think you might have a problem, best to tackle it now before it gets worse. And drinking always gets worse, never better.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good. It takes some effort and making changes, but it's worth it.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by GreatGansbino
I just liked catching a buzz.
Well there are lots of ways to do that! You're only 22?! Jump out of an airplane, go rock climbing, backpack through a foreign country, run naked!! Oh the natural buzzes I would have had in my 20's had I not drank them away lol If you're not the daredevil type, you can still get a great buzz from creative endeavors like art or music. Accomplishing something hard, whether it mental or physical, still gives me a great high!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I started drinking when I was 20...I am 24 now...never had problems with work...Alcohol was my motivation...Never had any mental health issues...This June was the first time I experienced a withdrawal and It had zero warning signs...It was the scariest instance of my life.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you feel like you can take it or leave it at this point, my advice is to leave it - just not worth it developing into a problem. The years of "no consequence" drinking add up fast, and the consequences can sneak up fast. If you read around and see how hard it is for people to quit, it seems like a great idea to eliminate it from your life now while quitting is easy
Old 11-01-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

First, I am glad you have decided to join us on here, and that you are feeling so good after 72 hours. I wish I could go back in time and tell my 22 year old self to quit drinking. It took me until 45 to finally stop for good.

Sobriety is worth it!