Notices

non-alcoholic beer

Old 10-31-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It would confuse my brain to drink a crappy tasting non-alcoholic beer. My AV would expect a buzz and would be mad I drank such a foul-tasting disappointment. Similarly, I don't drink decaf coffee or tea, nor do I eat low-fat stuff when I can eat a smaller portion of full-fat.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeaOfSerenity View Post
thanks for the first paragraph. its nice for someone to answer a question without reading between the lines.

and youre right about the second. I suppose I'm looking to not disrupt others from drinking due to my problem or make them feel bad. as I know I couldn't get my head around people not drinking when I met someone and would bug them like a meat eater does to a vegan.

as for everyone mentioning relapses and making lame excuses. I haven't drunk any, I was asking questions for people experiences and opinions of it as it had crossed my mind that it must be seen as an option to those new to recovery like myself. if i was looking for excuses id would have drunk them. just curiosity

ideally i wouldn't have made the thread as i know what this place is like with anything slightly edgy but i can never get the damn search to bring up any relevant results.
I am happy that you started this thread.

We take our sobrieties seriously, so we tend to be rather strident in our opinions about staying sober.

NA beer and a handful of other topics are frequent fliers on these boards.

They make for good debate and they involve important issues.

What we all really want is that you keep your existing sobriety date.

And that all of us do the same.

Keep hanging around here with us and keep us posted.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't drink it purely because I've tried this in the past while sober, for me I bought 6 cans of non alcoholic lager, i put them in the fridge then later I drank 1 and instantly thought nothings happened so I drank another then another then all 6 had gone nothing happened so I went to the shop and bought a crate of alcoholic lagers and got drunk, my point is for me it messed with my mental obsession even though I'd not actually drank any alcohol for a month or 2.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

NA beer is one of the only carbonated non alcoholic drinks that doesn't taste too sweet. That's why I drink it sometimes, not because it reminds me of alcohol. I find it easy to drink just one or two. It's a personal thing. If it triggers you to drink for real then don't do it.

You may also want to try non alcoholic ginger beer (which unlike NA beer isn't really beer and contains no alcohol at all). Some brands like "Q" are very refreshing and not too sweet.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Plain soda (sparkling) water - or those with a dash of fruit flavour - are not sweet...give them a try Rob

D
Old 10-31-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

thank you everyone. I will be avoiding. seems like a potential pitfall not worth exploring. water hasn't let me down yet.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SeaOfSerenity View Post
thank you everyone. I will be avoiding. seems like a potential pitfall not worth exploring. water hasn't let me down yet.
It is certainly a personal choice, I think you made a wise one.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I would think that Non-Alcoholic Beer would be like a gateway to real Beer. And if you're in your sobriety drinking NA Beer, then you're going to have that taste of beer back in your mouth and system again.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'd very strongly associate real alcohol with it.

Just seems crazy tempting to me.

I avoid temptations!

I DON'T NEED POISON BOOZE!

DECIDED and DONE!

Old 11-03-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I drank a few in early sobriety when out to dinner with my girlfriend who drank wine or beer with dinner. It served as a substitute and kept me from considering the real thing, but quite frankly it does taste pretty bad.. as if something is missing. It didn't trigger any cravings at all. I haven't had one in at least three years as I much prefer tonic water or San Pellegrino now, and I don't see it here in SE Asia anyway.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The other day I heard "non alcoholic beer is for non alcoholics" which I thought was funny since I actually switched to NA beer (0.5%) for about two days before switching back to the actual stuff. For me, that phrase rings true. The taste is sort of dangerous for me as it seems to start this mental association unlike any other soft drinks I have. I drink pepsi and don't associate that with alcohol at all, but NA beer just seems to set something off in my head.

I couldn't and wouldn't tell you not to go ahead and drink it because I know there are people with years of recovery that have an occasional NA beer, but if it feels wrong, just skip it and don't risk it.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
nmd

I enjoy na beer and personally have found it to be a helpful tool during times when my cravings are the strongest. Is it a crutch? Sure, it's one of many possible crutches, but it's not drinking and it is not a trigger for me. I'm happy with and can enjoy one and I don't want a "real beer" afterwards. Surviving another day sober gets me to tomorrow to do it again. I have also found a couple brands I enjoy, which took some time to figure out. They run about 70 calories an arent loaded with sugar or artificial sweetener like soda.

I think it's a personal choice, and depends on whether na beverages are a trigger for you. You are an expert in your own recovery.

The labeling in these parts is na beers contain "less than 0.5% alcohol", which is not nothing, but one-half of one percent (or less than that). That is the legal limit in the US for labeling it non alcoholic, though, so it is likely less alcohol but I feel it safest to assume that one half percent. Ie. If you find yourself drinking a six pack and wanting more or a real beer, it's probably not a good choice for you.

Orange juice supposedly contains on average about 0.1% alcohol, btw. Yeast and bacteria are everywhere and sulphites in the juice only slow down fermentation. Kefir and kombucha also contain alcohol, legally at the same limits as na beer. Really, anything naturally fermented product will. I mention it because I see these trendy products showing up in the supermarket.

Read labels carefully and know what you are buying. Small beers are not na, and some states in the US that dont allow wine in supermarkets allow low alcohol wine. The problem is low alcohol wine (in New York State) can contain up to 6% alcohol. Na wine exists but is a different product entirely.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
zjw

when i smoked i one time thought its not the nicotine that has me hooked i just enjoy smoking. So i bought a pack of nicotine free cigarettes figureing i'd just msoke those from then on. I smoked the whole pack like a fein in like an hour and ran out and bought regular smokes I quickly realized that while smoking was great and all without the nicotrine it was crap.

My thoughts for NA beer are the same. I could totally see myself drinking any non alcholic drink like that in a very alcoholic like fashion maybe even worse then being ticked off and going out and getting the real thing. And yeah going into it thinking something like Oh i'll be fine I wont miss the alcohol I just love the tasste of beer..... I'd quickly learn that the taste of beer really isnt all that great once you remove the alcohol part.

I dunno having learned my lesson with the nicotine free smokes I figured NA beer would be the same routine for me. A waste of money and leave me angry. I even pondered it a few times as a way to enjoy beer without getting drunk back when i did drink but I just flet it'd be a wasted effort so never bothered.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi, SeaofSerenity. Thanks for your post. I drank non-a beer early in sobriety when I didn't want to discuss my new sobriety with anyone or seem to stand out. It was not a trigger, nor did it taste very good. As time went on, I became much more comfortable with drinking soft beverages at events and places where alcohol was served. Now I prefer local soft ciders when in season, sparkling flavored water, oj, and lemonade. I find them much more flavorful. Peace.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I would never drink nonalcoholic beer.

For me it could be the start of going down a slippery slope to a relapse.

An besides, it tastes like crap.

No upside, huge downside.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I tried the non alcoholic wine a long time back. Fancy glasses, nice looking bottle, expensive too. I used to hold the view that it was OK, and appreciate that it is a personal choice, but what I've found is that it really is about the "thinking" and led me back to drinking because my thinking had not changed.

Man, the way I stand at the moment uttering the words "I don't drink " are sweet to my ears. They can like it or lump it
Old 11-06-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I see no point.

I never saw much point in real beer either. Except to make it look like I was "drinking normally." The old sneak shots for the real buzz while nursing a beer trick.

Now I drink stuff I like. And sometimes an energy drink, but I'm cutting down on those.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I don't drink it. As others mention, it would only trigger a relapse further.

Previous Christmas, I had some non-alcoholic wine and thought it tasted like thin piss.

I'd rather just have water, then.