Notices

Oh boy... this is gonna be rough!

Old 10-29-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Oh boy... this is gonna be rough!

So this morning I stopped for some groceries. Afterwards I stopped by the a little mom-n-pop bait ship for some jigged hooks, thought I'd do some fishing at the pond later today if it isn't too windy. I'm checking out and this older guy walks in with a bottle of some rare, high-end bourbon. Its a gift for the shop owner. Shop owner sat it on the counter behind him... that was a little rough on me! For a split second I really wanted a taste of some bourbon again. But we all know us addicts can't do "tastes".

Walked out and went home.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience yesterday.

Went to a store to cash in some winning lottery tickets and the guy in front of me was buying a six pack of Vanilla Porter. Even the cardboard container it came it looked cool.

But I knew that if I drank that I would feel a rush for a short while and then suffer with anxiety and depression afterward.

Not worth it.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

Even the cardboard container it came it looked cool.
lol aint it a bitch sometimes. I walk in this one grocery store by me and its like i'll see a sign "Make your own 6 pack" along with other new brews that are now on the market that i never got to try yet and I'm like well maybe i should just stroll through that section and see what son sale or something just window shop ya know.

NOPE i just keep my distance and keep going about my business.

earlier in sobriety once we ordered soem food from a bar. I was liek I'll go pick it up. well i got there the food wasnt ready yet. so i sat there at the bar waiting for my food to be ready. Good god it was awful seeing all those cold drafts being poured people happily drinking smoking have a great time. By the time i got out of there i was twitchen. I told my wife Dont ever ask me to pick up food in that place AGAIN! i barely made it out of there.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think I'm over it.... came home and ate something, had another cup of coffee. It was that split second at the bait shop that I allowed myself to entertain a craving.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah steve for me its often just some fantasy that pops up but ones i think about it a bit i realize it'll never work out like the fantasy i got going in my head over it.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah... you can just see their wheels spinning when they will find that really special occasion to open that bottle.... you feel jealous. Some of that crap does taste good, that's unfortunate for us.... We just happen to know we will react badly to that first sip and we have to avoid it at all costs. It blows. I always give myself credit for having the ability to recognize what my mind is doing and stop it in it's tracks.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
So this morning I stopped for some groceries. Afterwards I stopped by the a little mom-n-pop bait ship for some jigged hooks, thought I'd do some fishing at the pond later today if it isn't too windy. I'm checking out and this older guy walks in with a bottle of some rare, high-end bourbon. Its a gift for the shop owner. Shop owner sat it on the counter behind him... that was a little rough on me! For a split second I really wanted a taste of some bourbon again. But we all know us addicts can't do "tastes". Walked out and went home.
Going for bass or panfish?
Old 10-29-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
Going for bass or panfish?
Panfish, sunnies, whatever. Might take a bigger rod and try for some cats if they're biting.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
yeah steve for me its often just some fantasy that pops up but ones i think about it a bit i realize it'll never work out like the fantasy i got going in my head over it.
This is true.

I identify drinking with being young, hitting the bars, partying, etc.

But now that I am 53 it is really ridiculous to think I can relive that.

99% of the drinking I did over the last 10 years was in my house, alone.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Two things: bourbon was my drink of choice when I drank. Oddly, I don't miss the taste. Now..beer, on the other hand. Also, sitting at the bar while waiting for a table or food is the worst. Beyond awkward. I don't do it anymore. Another thing in the long list of things I don't do any more. Not complaining, just saying.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Isn't it a good feeling when you see something, identify the problems with it, and step away without moving forward with a craving and caving in.

You should be proud of yourself for how you handled the situation. It shows that your work toward making a strong lasting recovery is paying off. I have found the more times I make good decisions the easier it is in the future to continue to make good decisions.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Two things: bourbon was my drink of choice when I drank. Oddly, I don't miss the taste.
For me, it was bourbon. Always. Unless I was poor then it was cheap canadian whisky handles (like Black Velvet, $14 out the door). Stuff was awful. Every once and again it was potato vodka or gin (thinking no one could smell it on me!)

I never was huge into beer. There were a few German brews I liked. That's it.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In California they sell alcohol in grocery stores. I avoided the wine aisle for the first two months I was sober. I will have ten months on Tuesday, and now can walk past the wine aisle without issue, I still don't go down it thought, no need to remember the large sums of money I spent down there!!

Hope the fish are biting!!
Old 10-29-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can't keep myself from staring when someone's enjoying a beer/ any other alcoholic drink still. I also study adverts for drinks, etc. with interest and even walk by where all the bottles are on display in the store, just to look at bottles. Today I picked up a vodka bottle in the store and just looked at it for several minutes, read the labels, looked at neat details on the label. Then I put the bottle back and left.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mmmmm beer. I sure loved me some beer but on the other hand, it gave me a lifetime's worth of hangovers. Like ZJW, I just follow the fantasy through and it never works out, it always ends up with a hangover. This summer I was coming home from a drag race with my old drinking buddy and there was this hideous line to get home and we stopped in a convenience store to get some water and some munchies. There was the beer. It was the worst craving I've had in a long time. It was so hot and boring. We talked about it and laughed it off. It sure is nice to have a few years in. Keep it up Steve-in-Kville, and it will get easier for you too.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A few years ago, wife was making dinner, (Shrimp something) i was two weeks out of detox. we needed a few things from grocery store, so off I go. While shopping, wife called wanting some cooking wine. When I returned home without it, see gave me a dirty look at first, then the light bulb came on, dinner was still good I know the alcohol would have been cooked off, but still...
Old 10-29-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by 1984Toy View Post
A few years ago, wife was making dinner, (Shrimp something) i was two weeks out of detox. we needed a few things from grocery store, so off I go. While shopping, wife called wanting some cooking wine. When I returned home without it, see gave me a dirty look at first, then the light bulb came on, dinner was still good I know the alcohol would have been cooked off, but still...
i can tdo alcohol in food. it spooks me. Its hard to describe as soon as i taste it i flash back to those panic attack drinking days and it freak. My wife made a dish with soem white wine in the sauce earlier in sobriety. I snubbed my nose at it. it didnt go over well but sorry i just coudlnt do it.

another time just recently i tried that kambucha stuff. it had the same affect i sparked a real intense craving / feeling of did i just drink a zima without the booze or something? spooked me again I couldnt drink the rest of it.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
no need to remember the large sums of money I spent
I don't even want to try and figure out how much I spent on drinking over the last 30 years.

Sure, I had a lot of good times and sure I may have still spent the money on something else - at least that's what I tell myself!!!

I probably could have bought a house with all the money I spent.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's kind of like when the wine reps come into my job and try to taste me on things. Those bottles that cost over $50 wholesale that I'll never taste again, they always bring a couple of them..

Oh well, I've accepted it, it's not like I haven't drank my share of so called "fine" wines and spirits.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1984Toy View Post
Originally Posted by zjw View Post
i can tdo alcohol in food. it spooks me. Its hard to describe as soon as i taste it i flash back to those panic attack drinking days and it freak. My wife made a dish with soem white wine in the sauce earlier in sobriety. I snubbed my nose at it. it didnt go over well but sorry i just coudlnt do it.

another time just recently i tried that kambucha stuff. it had the same affect i sparked a real intense craving / feeling of did i just drink a zima without the booze or something? spooked me again I couldnt drink the rest of it.
I went out to a restaurant the other night and felt certain I had some whiskey sauce with a cut of meat ....... not sure what was going on psychologically there but I even told myself I felt a rush from it. Kind of uncanny.