SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Does the insomnia ever go away after alcoholism? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/399613-does-insomnia-ever-go-away-after-alcoholism.html)

notgonnadrinknm 10-27-2016 07:20 PM

Does the insomnia ever go away after alcoholism?

Alcoholics, how long after getting sober were you able to start getting 6 hours of sleep per night again? For those of you that sleep normally again, did you always have the waiter ask the chef if there was alcohol in your food?

Dee74 10-27-2016 07:26 PM

Hi notgonnadrink :)

I think it varies for each of us. For me it was about 10 days. For some people it can be a month or longer.

If it's been longer than that, maybe seeing your Dr is a good idea?

even when I did accidentally eat things cooked in alcohol in the early days, it didn't affect my sleep.

D

ScottFromWI 10-27-2016 07:42 PM

You asked this same question in your previous thread, are you worried that you may have ingested food cooked in alcohol?

notgonnadrinknm 10-27-2016 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 6188456)
You asked this same question in your previous thread, are you worried that you may have ingested food cooked in alcohol?

Yeah, I'm concerned because I had a sandwich that had a sauce on it that contained wine. I didn't find out until after. Up to 80% of the alcohol in food remains after cooking. I also ate like 5 bites of raspberry sorbet about 6 months ago that apparently contained some champagne.

ScottFromWI 10-27-2016 07:57 PM

The trace amount of alcohol in food is likely so miniscule in those items that you wouldn't notice. Honestly the psychological impact of thinking/worry it about could most likely also cause insomnia too.

MattM316 10-27-2016 09:53 PM

I don't think I've gotten 6 hours sleep since I was about 8 years old.

Junoluna 10-27-2016 10:20 PM

i have just woken up from a 10 hour sleep and then only because there was a fly irritating me...

i only quit 10 days ago but the past 4 or 5 nights have been bliss

despite the sleep, i'm feeling a little fatigued but it is nothing compared to being hungover all morning

i know from past experience of quitting that i ten to oversleep for the first 2 or 3 months rather than undersleep

i know it varies from person to person but stick at it
the juice will be worth the squeeze

theVman31 10-27-2016 10:55 PM

Alcohol is only one of the aggravating factors in insomnia. As Scott say's the pyschological impact of thinking and worrying about alcohol in your food is worse than eating something with alcohol in it not knowinng or thinking about it.
Im talking from expérience.
Used to worry too.

Nowadays my wife usually gives me a tap or a nod fixing the food in her stare.

I live in france its hard to avoid wine and cognac sauces, cakes with rum or ricard....yuck.

Gottalife 10-28-2016 09:23 PM

I sleep fine when I am at peace. I reached a state of peace through the steps of AA. Before that, sleeplessness was the norm.

BullDog777 10-28-2016 11:26 PM

i'm almost 8 months in, and i still have insomnia. well, i'm almost never able to sleep when the time is appropriate, i should say.

I can sleep from about 4am-7-8am and then from like 10am -2pm so technically i sleep enough, it's just never at one time. I've long since stopped trying to control it. when it comes it comes.

Ben Franklin only slept when he was tired enough to fall right asleep and he lived to 86. I read somewhere that he went sometimes for days with only a couple of hours here and there.

when my body is ready, i'll sleep. i refuse to complicate it further. I hope you find peace with it soon.

Sober'sBest 10-28-2016 11:56 PM

I'm a big sleep fan.. the more the better... I awake restored and eager for challenges, and victories.

So for years now, I take 10-30 mg of Melatonin before bed.

My only concern is having too much CAFFEINE; which can easily ruin a nights wonderful sleep.

Now I realize I must have been just dazed and blanking out when I drank before 'sleep'.

Now sleep is a very rewarding 'high' for me... I especially like when I can feel myself floating off to sleep in just minutes.. Almost like being anesthetized. . .

Another sober reward.

Sober'sBest 10-29-2016 12:45 AM

I'd also like to mention how much I savor daily caffeine jolts.

Either good coffee, tea, or 200 mg pure caffeine pills... Usually about 400-500 mg a day.

All before 2pm though; so as not disturb my wonderful nightly sleep reward.

The stimulation and energy caffeine gives me feels great.

Another sober reward!

BullDog777 10-29-2016 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sober'sBest (Post 6190189)
I'd also like to mention how much I've come to enjoy daily caffeine jolts... Either good coffee, 200 mg pure caffeine pills, or teas... Usually about 400-500 mg a day.

All before 2pm though; so as not disturb my wonderful nightly sleep.

The stimulation and energy caffeine gives me feels great.

Another sober reward!

OMG...I though 2 diet Cokes was alot. that is impressive LOL :scoregood

sleepie 10-29-2016 12:57 AM

I am right behind Bulldog at 10 months and very much an insomniac. I also don't seem to be able to sleep more than 4 hours at a time before waking up. I wake up usually several times too.

I must stress that I still don't drink or take benzos though despite that.

steve-in-kville 10-29-2016 05:51 AM

I'm at about 7 weeks, I think (the longest I have gone in over 10+ years!). For me, once I was past 3 solid days sober, it got better, but not perfect. The crazy nightmares stopped after a week. I'd say after that my dreams got "normal".

My intake of coffee went up, whereas I am drinking coffee later into the day and it doesn't keep me from sleeping. I can have a cup at 6pm and be in bed at 9pm and I sleep fine. I still wake up around 2-3am to whizz, but I can go right back to sleep again for an hour or so until I need to wake up.

I'm sure you will realize we are all different when it comes to sleep patterns.

trachemys 10-29-2016 06:31 AM

I'm in the "old man insomnia" category. Mine's odd. When I can go to sleep at a reasonable hour, I wake up every hour. When I can't go to sleep at all, I shut everything down and meditate in bed.

A lot of my insomnia is caused by pain. I've started taking two naproxin sodium about 5 or 6 PM. They last all night and dull the pain in my legs.

Things I've learned: Flat panel displays give off light that interrupts normal sleep. Learn to meditate. You just lay there and concentrate on breathing and either sleep or rest will come to you. Accept that as we get older we need less night sleep and more naps. Set an alarm on you phone and get that 15 minute nap when you're drowsy.

I forget who the historical dignitary was that I read about doing this: Sit in a comfortable chair. Hold a spoon in your hand over a metal pie plate on the floor. Doze off. When you do, you'll drop the spoon on the pie plate waking you abruptly. That second of sleep will last you hours.

steve-in-kville 10-29-2016 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by trachemys (Post 6190424)
I forget who the historical dignitary was that I read about doing this: Sit in a comfortable chair. Hold a spoon in your hand over a metal pie plate on the floor. Doze off. When you do, you'll drop the spoon on the pie plate waking you abruptly. That second of sleep will last you hours.

I vote for Ben Franklin or Winston Churchill. I could see either one doing that!

BrendaChenowyth 10-29-2016 07:15 AM

I guess we are talking insomnia that comes with initial withdrawal here? Ten days. Then I slept like a baby, then I started dredging things up and creating drama to keep my mind occupied and now I don't sleep. I just need to learn how to put things aside until tomorrow and get some frigging rest.

BrendaChenowyth 10-29-2016 07:18 AM

When I was a drinker, I was unable to sleep unless I had a tv or radio or some background noise on.. usually a familiar movie that I knew every word to. If I didn't have that background sound I couldn't relax and fall asleep. Now any noise disturbs me. Even sounds like crickets and frogs or ocean waves or rain on a tin roof, which are supposed to lull you to sleep! lol

Mountainmanbob 10-29-2016 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by notgonnadrinknm (Post 6188461)
Yeah, I'm concerned because I had a sandwich that had a sauce on it that contained wine. I didn't find out until after. Up to 80% of the alcohol in food remains after cooking. I also ate like 5 bites of raspberry sorbet about 6 months ago that apparently contained some champagne.

Let those thoughts go ASAP and move on with your sober life. Believe me, there will be much bigger fish to fry later. We need to seek and enjoy serenity.
M-Bob