Notices

Unsure if I'm addicted

Old 10-25-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unsure if I'm addicted

Hi. I've been drinking a lot lately.it doesn't make me feel good. I tell myself I'll stop tomorrow but that never happens.I feel like I've lost control and feel helpless. I feel like without alcohol I'm unable to function or get through my days
Old 10-25-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Niall1985 View Post
Hi. I've been drinking a lot lately.it doesn't make me feel good. I tell myself I'll stop tomorrow but that never happens.I feel like I've lost control and feel helpless. I feel like without alcohol I'm unable to function or get through my days
Removing alcohol from life's equation puts many things in proper perspective as we gain some sober time. Alcohol is the illusionary cure that fails us.

Welcome
Old 10-25-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, Niall.

I once wondered the same thing - was I too dependent on alcohol? That was many years ago. I didn't take any action back then - just kept trying to control the amounts I drank. As a result I ended up drinking every day & never made a move without it. I'm glad you've joined us to talk things over. We care.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome niall. Only you can know for sure if you are addicted or not, but you do have a lot of the warning signs. Have you ever tried quitting before to see if things improve?
Old 10-25-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Niall

It's difficult for any of us to make pronouncements about whether you're addicted or not...but if you want to stop and can't, that's a problem whichever way you slice it?

You'll find support and understanding here tho - you're not alone

D
Old 10-25-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

You don't need a peer reviewed double blind study proving you're addicted. If alcohol's not working for you, cast it aside and reap the benefits.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Niall1985 View Post
I tell myself I'll stop tomorrow but that never happens.I feel like I've lost control and feel helpless.
If you are drinking against your own better judgement, that is telling you that you should not drink, then I would wager that you are addicted. Ambivalence is the dead give away.

I will also say, however, that the fact you are ambivalent at all is actually a very good thing. That part of you that is telling you that you should stop drinking can actually save you. You may presently feel that you have lost control, but you have within you the ability to regain it.

That feeling of hopelessness is actually a part of addiction, and it only gets worse over time, but the good news is that it can go away, if you stop drinking. There may be some unpleasantness for a short time, but it doesn't last forever.

How do you feel about that? About regaining control?
Old 10-25-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

if you cant stop then that's an issue. do whatever you can to address it now as if you don't it will escalate and put you into a real dark ugly place