Notices

Feeling Brainwashed

Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by French123 View Post
I think maybe my problem is that I am finding it hard to logically accept the disease model and the higher power concept. I am an agnostic and have no desire to be anything different and I also think it is unhealthy to accept that you have a terminal disease that makes you powerless and if you don't do AA you will drink and die.
Lots of people feel this way, and there are plenty of alternative support groups for them, too. There's no reason to stick with a philosophy that doesn't work for you, or to deal with people who try to re-spin it or convince you that you're wrong in making decisions about what is right for you based on how you feel. For me personally, the AA philosophy nearly killed me, and I'm lucky I found alternatives, but of course there are others who have been saved by AA. Different strokes.

I eventually came to a place where I could take bits and pieces from different philosophies, including AA, and weave them into my own "program" that works best for me. I think at some level, whether we recognize it or not, we all do this to varying degrees.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I eventually came to a place where I could take bits and pieces from different philosophies, including AA, and weave them into my own "program" that works best for me. I think at some level, whether we recognize it or not, we all do this to varying degrees.
I did this, too. I have found that parts of AA, SMART, AVRT, and even WFS work together for me.