SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Breakfast Diner Blessings? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/399364-breakfast-diner-blessings.html)

steve-in-kville 10-22-2016 06:25 AM

Breakfast Diner Blessings?

So there's this diner I used to frequent on a Saturday morning... basically I would be suffering from a hangover and all I wanted was a tall glass of water, coffee and some salty home fries and a side of ham. I remember feeling nauseated after eating such a meal as it was likely the only real food I'd eaten in several hours. I haven't been there in a few months...

.... This morning I was up early, did a little grocery shopping and stopped in at the diner for coffee. Found myself to be quite hungry so I ordered a decent sized breakfast. Ate the entire plate in no time and felt like a champion afterwards!

All those years of spending my weekends drinking from the time I woke up until I blacked out.... never able to appreciate an honest meal. At least without trying to medicate a hangover!

ScottFromWI 10-22-2016 06:27 AM

Even the little things are better sober, great story Steve!

zjw 10-22-2016 06:29 AM

yeah great story makes me wanna hit a local diner fro breakfast now lol.

soberlicious 10-22-2016 06:47 AM

The little things...the "tiny joys" I call them...are what life is all about.

I really want some bacon now.

steve-in-kville 10-22-2016 07:46 AM

mmmm..... bacon. Bacon solves a lot of problems!

One thing that I never thought I'd appreciate is being tired after a long day. Its been many years since I could doze off just sitting on the sofa, instead of passing out from drinking.

soberlicious 10-22-2016 10:44 AM

Well, you know they say money can't buy you happiness...but it can buy you bacon and that's pretty much the same thing :)

I never really slept well in all my years of drinking. Passed out never = real sleep, and I was always tired. Tired and sh*tty feeling. Life is exponentially better without the drink. Even through the worst of times, there is a beautiful quiet satisfaction in feeling things in a real unaltered state. Even if I'm feeling things that are really uncomfortable (because let's face it...life does that) it still feels good to actually feel. There is so much to appreciate, so many small but great moments, if we only look.

Mklove 10-22-2016 10:53 AM

I love the story of the diner! I was one of those super skinny hungover people who sat with others while they ate real breakfasts and drank real coffee while I picked at dry toast and drank bad tea, nausea and headache making the whole event really fun for me and others.....now, bring on the omelette! Home fries, good conversation or not, just so much better a morning adventure.

steve-in-kville 10-22-2016 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by soberlicious (Post 6182432)
Well, you know they say money can't buy you happiness...but it can buy you bacon and that's pretty much the same thing :)

I've heard that one before! I think it was a bumper sticker on a farmer's old truck.

BrendaChenowyth 10-22-2016 02:18 PM

I feel this on a spiritual level.

steve-in-kville 10-22-2016 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth (Post 6182594)
I feel this on a spiritual level.

Bacon?

BrendaChenowyth 10-22-2016 07:38 PM

Yes. And just enjoying food more in general. My daily drinking brought such severe gastritis and indigestion that I forgot how enjoyable the experience of eating could be. I could eat drunk without the physical discomfort but I was just stuffing the food in without really savoring it.

steve-in-kville 10-23-2016 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth (Post 6182930)
Yes. And just enjoying food more in general.

Heh.... made me think back to the eating habits/schedule I kept when drinking. I basically ate to subdue the hangover symptoms, at a lot of the time.

Now that I can eat normal, I can actually eat healthy and have it make a difference!