Notices

Caught drinking again...

Old 10-13-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caught drinking again...

So I'm in construction and work in a business with my father. We were talking at my truck and we both notice at the same time a corona bottle cap and he says to me "drinking coronas?" And I said "I guess so"and kind of chuckled. It must have been from someone else's trash and ended up in my pick up bed. I think he knows it wasn't mine as he is well aware of my sobriety. But I couldn't help but wonder if he is second guessing my joke. I don't want to bring it up again either to further explain myself. Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced a similar situation?
Old 10-13-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not drinking - that's all that matters really.

I didn't drink, I changed...and those changes became obvious to everyone without me having to draw their attention to it or explaining myself.

D
Old 10-13-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im confused. Why did you create a title that says Caught Drinking Again, if you werent actually drinking?

with that aside, if you arent drinking, I would let it go. Something tells me that if you were drinking, he'd know, whether he saw a beer cap or not
Old 10-13-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If he's anything like my mother he would know you weren't cos you didn't smell of it. When you yourself are not drinking you can smell it a mile away! For my mother, make that 10 miles away. At one point, I was convinced she could smell it down the phone.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to hide my empties. I used to go to great lengths to dispose of them without being seen. I never lied when questioned but I have been accused of drinking something that I hadn't. Someone found an empty bottle of something in another room that had been there for a long time, it was a type of booze I drank, but not the brand I drank ever. They were sure it was mine. I was angry because I knew it wasn't. A friend left empty beer bottles in our recycling. I asked him to take them home with him, he argued that was silly because they didn't pick up recycling at his place, why would he take them there. I said I didn't want to be accused of drinking them. I was angry. Because I WAS drinking, and did not want anyone to know.

Today is day 54 for me.. I had an urge to drink at the end of my very long work day (three 12 hour days back to back) and the reason I didn't was because I didn't want to deal with the shame and the paranoia of not wanting to get caught with empties and having to dispose of them in secret.

But because I know I have been absolutely sober, I am free of all that stuff. I don't have to worry about what other people think of me or suspect because I know who I am and how I'm doing. My point is, don't wonder what your Dad is thinking. You'd be surprised how obvious your sobriety is to the ones who know you best and have seen you throughout your drinking. Just like your drinking, no matter how well you thought you were hiding it, was obvious to them.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I was a teenager, my sister used to smoke. I did not. But my Dad blamed the reek of cigarette smoke on me - surely my perfect older sister would never do such a thing!
So, guess what? I started smoking! I was getting blamed anyway.
I'm in no way suggesting you start drinking. Surely your Dad knows you're sober and took it in stride.
Congrats on your sobriety.