Notices

Does it get easier

Old 10-12-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does it get easier

Hi everyone, i am new here. After another relapse and now my third day sober again i decided to write here. Today has been one of my hardest days. I was already in the store to buy liquor (wine - hopefully was - my preference) and then my mind started the ultimate inner battle of 'yes and no'. I spent an hour walking around the store putting the bottle in and out of the cart (if somebody noticed they thought i was insane or something ) but with great effort decided NOT to buy the poison.
I am happy for myself for today I didn't cave but am still wondering and hoping that in time it gets easier...it took all my strength i had today to stay strong.
Maybe part of it is the fact that i decided to end my self destruction because i put everything on halt because of it, like my life is on pause while everything around me is moving forward.

I wish you all a great day!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. It does. I was a chronic relapser who once got a month sober...that was it...in 3 years of "trying" to get sober. Now, at 16 months sober I no longer think about drinking, or not drinking. The problem has been removed for me. Now, my emotions and learning to live an abundant, happy and useful life in sobriety...that is what I am learning to do.

But, early on, it is hard. I can't and won't soften the blow. The first year is hard. The first few months I had cravings and thought I would lose my mind if I did not take a drink. AA meetings, calling other women, getting a sponsor, going on walks, keeping busy...these things all helped me early on when my sole focus all day every day was NOT to pick up a drink or drug. Nowadays I don't think of drinking. I never thought that was possible.

My experience was that I worked, and continue to work, a 12 step program of recovery. I thought it was nuts at first and sometimes I still do...but no matter what comes my way, I do not pick up a substance. That's a miracle!

Reaching out into cyberspace to give you a huge hug. You can do this. I believe in you.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We're very glad you made the choice you did.

I suggest that you hang around and, I hope, learn a few things which have worked for us.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. I know i am only at the beginning and haven't really replaced that void that appeared with no drinking yet, and it's a little scary, because i finally want to do this right. A year ago i stayed sober for 3 months (that was the longest in my drinking career) and i felt great but still relapsed. Now i have wishes and goals that don't include drinking.
I know i need to do this myself one day at the time but i do admit i need all the support i can get.
all
Old 10-12-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Much easier but it takes time! Honestly, unless I am thinking about recovery, the thought of alcohol never crosses my mind. Most certainly not cravings. But I am pretty recovery focused and work on it frequently. I go to 2 AA meetings a week and check here almost daily. But otherwise my life is completely normal and "alcohol thought" free.

Hang in there and do not quit before the miracle happens!
Old 10-12-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi Marilynn,

look here :

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ghlight=easier

both: better and easier.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Day 3 was always the make/break point for me. Seems like if I got past the third day I was good for a week or two. I think a lot was habit and routine, plus the messed up sleep patterns.

Hang in there and stay focused!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this. Just don't drink. It will get better.
Welcome to SR, Hi, I'm wayne.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey there and welcome. Congrats on resisting the urge to buy booze.

Have you thought about what kind of support you might need to remain sober this time?
Old 10-12-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I assure you it does get easier. But its important to put some substantial time between yourself and your last drink. For some its a month, for others it maybe 3-6 months. I completely understand the battle early on. Its routine, its habit, its what we do....even though it is ruining out lives. Stay strong.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marilynn - it definitely gets easier. Not many of us would still be here if it didn't

Use this site for support - there's a Class of October Support thread for everyone quitting this month in the Newcomers Forum.

All you need to do to join is post

D
Old 10-13-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had to face the underlying problems, which were loneliness and shame. I had to first get sober and stay sober long enough to feel good physically, and that was hard because I couldn't sleep for the first week or two, first because of the withdrawal and then because of the feelings that would start to come up, especially at night. I had to start dealing with some pretty dark stuff that I'd never faced because I'd always drank to numb it. I think most of the hard stuff is worked out. It was painful and very very worth it. I don't know that other people have this sort of experience.. I do believe addicts use to cover pain, and that happy, whole people don't abuse themselves. I think the reason so many of us fail in our attempts to STAY sober is that we aren't ready to do the real work. At least I think that's why I failed so many times. The reason I'm saying all this is that I think when people ask when it gets easier they are asking when they will stop wanting to drink. The answer is when you have worked out the stuff that caused the need to drink.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! Hope to see you around.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Everyone is different . I know when I quit drinking it took some time for my body to get use to not drinking. I didnt really sleep for the first month but with time I slept. I tried to avoid places that sold alcohol as best as I could. At times it was hard but I made it. My first year sobor was the hardest but I made it. I now have over 11 years sobriety and I dont even think about it. I have had my ups and downs but I can deal with it now.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I know it's hard to see right now...but it DOES get easier. If you really want it, and work on the issues that made you drink in the first place, the feeling you'll get after a while can be downright profound and exciting.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It gets easier with time. Recovery is work, but very rewarding. Achieving solid sobriety and reducing the cravings took about six months for me, by then I had developed tools to better cope with trying situations like parties, and even dating. But after about a year I began to realize I had unresolved emotional issues from my childhood and younger years that I'd been using alcohol to self medicate. Never realized it when I was drinking. That's been more ongoing, but brings the kind of awareness and insight I never knew when I drank. I was so oblivious to my behavior and bad thinking.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes. It gets easier, but some days are hard. They just are. One thing I couldn't do early on, and still avoid, is walk through the liquor aisle of the grocery store. It might help you too, to skip it entirely. You will be pleased with your sober self!