Notices

GP scared the living daylights out of me

Old 10-11-2016, 11:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The keep drinking advice is common in my neck of the woods too. It has to be taken with the thought in mind that it is not about curing you, there is no medical solution to alcoholism, it is about protecting asses. If you drink yourself to death, they can say that's your fault, but is they tell you to stop and you die from the withdrawal, well one of them might be in some trouble.

You seemed initially concerned about the physical aspects of your problem. That's not too hard to explain. You are dying, and if you continue to drink, you will continue to die.

Tapering is a form of moderation, impossible for alcoholics of my type. Maybe it would work for you, but there is a general consensus that alcoholics cannot moderate.

So if you want to stop drinking, you could continue on your present dangerous path as recommended by your doctors and alcohol workers, or perhaps you could take some action on your own account. AA worked for me, was very convenient and didn't cost anything. Previous posters made other suggestions which you could also look into.

Liver failure is not the only consequence of excess alcohol consumption by the way. Also common is heart failure and permanent insanity through brain damage, along with a range of cancers. These are compelling reasons to stop drinking, but for the alcoholic, they are sometimes not enough. We needed help. Maybe you do too.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Went see my dr today. I asked him if drinking half a bottle of vodka before a liver test would affect the results and he said not necessarily.

I asked him what the ultrasound was for if it was to show a fatty liver? He said it was to make sure it wasn't cirrhosis or scarring.

My numbers for ast were 354 and alt 234. I've calculated the ratio and it's 1.5.

They've been perfect over the years and in February this year.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good job on keeping in touch with your doctor, hopefully the ultrasound will show more so you can find a solution.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm still angry at them for not putting my name on the waiting list or giving me a home detox after the results in June.

If they told me the results were dangerously high I would have stopped then.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just a suggestion...Use that anger. Capture it. Harness it. Send it after your issue with alcohol. Anger can be a powerful ally. Be mad, and fight for your health. What do you have to do? What do you need? Who can help?

It is not easy to quit drinking, but it is do-able, and you are worth it!
Old 10-15-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Flowerbomb

Do you want to stop drinking or just find out if you're ok so you can carry on?

I had a few scares in my time and as soon as I found I was ok, I was drinking again! What would it take for me to stop?

I had to want to stop.

I hope you stick around, there's some good information on this site and like minded people who are willing to help.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Matt M

I went through a stage of thinking I was pretty much immortal when it came to drinking.
Despite all the withdrawal seizures and the *ridiculous* amount of hard spirits I used to drink, my liver somehow held up.

But after researching more and speaking to doctors etc, I realize that this kind of 'luck' (seizures, three shoulder operations, a fractured cheekbone etc, isn't exactly luck but you know what I mean!) only lasts so long and my next drinking binge could be the one that finally makes the fatal liver impact.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My understanding is that I some in countries doctors advise long term heavy drinkers to not quit drinking without medical supervision due to the risk of death from seizures. I've heard that is often the advice given to patients by NHS doctors in England. It is not acceptable, however, to have medical staff tell you to keep drinking for an indefinite period of time. Please use all resources available to push them into getting you into a safe detox facility so that you can quit drinking with the proper medical supervision. I am praying that you get the help you need very quickly.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by Alaskachick View Post
My understanding is that I some in countries doctors advise long term heavy drinkers to not quit drinking without medical supervision due to the risk of death from seizures. I've heard that is often the advice given to patients by NHS doctors in England. It is not acceptable, however, to have medical staff tell you to keep drinking for an indefinite period of time. Please use all resources available to push them into getting you into a safe detox facility so that you can quit drinking with the proper medical supervision. I am praying that you get the help you need very quickly.

Depends what GP you get.

About a year ago when I was having bad withdrawals, I went and saw my GP and they were a waste of time.
They knew my history of seizures, they didn't reccomend a detox, didn't give me any medication, absolutely useless.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Matt: Sorry to hear that you had to detox on your own and I'm happy to hear that you survived. Detoxing from alcohol can be very deadly. WebMD estimates that 1% - 5% of long term alcoholics who try to quit on their own will die. So I can understand a doctor advising a patient to not quit drinking until they are under medical supervision. What doesn't make sense is to have them to continue to drink for several months. That's just crazy!
Old 10-16-2016, 01:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by Alaskachick View Post
Matt: Sorry to hear that you had to detox on your own and I'm happy to hear that you survived. Detoxing from alcohol can be very deadly. WebMD estimates that 1% - 5% of long term alcoholics who try to quit on their own will die. So I can understand a doctor advising a patient to not quit drinking until they are under medical supervision. What doesn't make sense is to have them to continue to drink for several months. That's just crazy!

Well I could have died twice, I had two lots of three withdrawal seizures two years apart after detoxing on my own!!

It can happen to binge drinkers too. Just stopping after a period of alcohol abuse is super dangerous.

My friend who is now in detox was told to continue drinking too. I also found that very strange advice to come from a doctor.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I personally would start doing the groundwork yourself to look into getting into a rehab facility, or at a bare minimum ask them to prescribe you some meds so you can self detox.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

How are you now, Flowerbomb? Two days since you last posted.

The bottom line of what we are all telling you in different ways is that you have to take responsibility for quitting. NO MATTER WHAT. That is the creed of AA, that we will go to ANY lengths to get and keep our sobriety. Some of our circumstances are tougher than others, as far as the immediate part of quitting and those of us posting do understand that. But ultimately, you can quit no matter what. I say this, again, as someone with a major (a handle of vodka every 2 days, by the end plus often cocktails out after work) habit by the end, who is 5'7 and at the time weighed about 115lbs, whatever that is in kilos. And I did it cold turkey. PAWS was difficult, but as they say, the fear of quitting was worse than going through that. I may have taken a riskier path, as some have said, but it was still absolutely better than what you are trying to do- and what you seem to be convincing yourself is the right choice.

Because it is your choice. I hope you are sober today.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I have actually been sober almost two weeks now. I don't think I need the detox anymore. I'm seeing my alcohol worker this Wednesday and going to vent.

I've been seeing these people who are there to help you get into treatment for alcohol withdrawal for half of this year and my name isn't even on the waiting list yet which by the way is 3 months.

I'm also very depressed and cannot concentrate since stopping. I get cravings and ring drinkline but they're useless and never know what to say.

I still can't believe they never told me how dangerously high my liver enzymes were. I only found out from my gp not the alcohol services.

They give you drink diaries to fill in. And even after the scary high enzyme results in June they told me to carry on filling in the drink diary instead of worrying about my liver.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Flowerbomb View Post
I have actually been sober almost two weeks now. I don't think I need the detox anymore. I'm seeing my alcohol worker this Wednesday and going to vent.
Glad to hear you are still doing well, 2 weeks is fantastic! Resentments against others is not going to help in your recovery, and despite what you may or may not have been told - it was your choice to keep drinking even when you knew it might not be the best thing for you. Just about all of us have done that, I know I kept drinking long after many people suggested I quit.

Try and focus on what you can do today and moving foward when you see your worker this week and keep up the good work on staying sober !
Old 11-01-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Dr just phoned. There's just fatty change in the liver, no cirrhosis or scarring. They do want to do more tests for hepatitis but she says it's completely reversible. What a relief.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That is definitely good news Flowerbomb, best of luck on working out a plan to get things back to "completely normal"! And yes, what a relief it must be!
Old 11-01-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it's good news flowerbomb

D
Old 11-04-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Well there you go!

Sounds like you have been given another shot. Just remember though your luck could run out if you drink again. You've been given a new lease on life.

My liver numbers were never out of the normal range but once they were just barely on the threshold of being out of normal range along with my kidney functions. Since quitting both are well into the normal range and not even close to approaching the upper limits. In fact they are the best numbers i have had in 12 yrs since going to that dr.

Your body can do amazing things if you let it. But its unknown how far you can push it.

Keep building on those 4 weeks or so that you have now. Keep going on the sober path and you will be amazed how great your life can be. Its so worth the effort.