SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   life is precious (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/398511-life-precious.html)

tursiops999 10-04-2016 10:49 AM

life is precious

I know, it's a cliche, but this morning I am feeling that life is so precious.

I spent the last 10 days sitting with my 85 year-old mom in the hospital, as she dealt with some scary stuff. Her body is gradually declining from age, with occasional crises. Fortunately she recovered and was able to go home yesterday. I've had some issues with mom over the years, but sitting with her this past week, I felt just how precious her life is, and how precious are the days that we live in our bodies. We're not here for very long.

Knowing this, how could I ever again poison my body with substances that do me no good, and do a lot of harm?

Each of us is living out a very unique and precious life. We deserve only the kindest care, attention, and nurturing of our bodies and spirits. Others may or may not give us these things, we have no control over that. But we can give care to ourselves, absolutely. And we can give care to others.

ScottFromWI 10-04-2016 11:36 AM

Thanks for sharing and a fantastic reminder tursiops. I have a close friend who's 12 year old son was recently diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer. He's involved in aggressive treatment and there is a potential for recovery, although no guarantees of any kind. It does make me remember how precious life is, and also how colossally selfish my addiction was.

Soberwolf 10-04-2016 11:52 AM

:grouphug:

Fly N Buy 10-04-2016 12:03 PM

Your thread speaks of the grace, love and peace of the journey - your journey. Also, by your actions you make living amends..............

Beautiful post my friend.

waynetheking 10-04-2016 03:15 PM

Great post, thank you so much!

Soberandhealthy 10-04-2016 03:21 PM

Thank you great post.

MIRecovery 10-04-2016 03:47 PM

Life is indeed precious and we need to live life as if today is our last. For so long I waited for happiness to arrive but in sobriety I came to realize that the time to rejoice in our lives is now.

ScottFromWI 10-04-2016 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 6160429)
Thanks for sharing and a fantastic reminder tursiops. I have a close friend who's 12 year old son was recently diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer. He's involved in aggressive treatment and there is a potential for recovery, although no guarantees of any kind. It does make me remember how precious life is, and also how colossally selfish my addiction was.

I completely forgot to add, bless you for taking the time to stay with and care for your mother. Too few people are willing to do so these days and it's a wonderful thing to do.

CAPTAINZING2000 10-04-2016 04:32 PM

Thank you for sharing this

The past year, my 82 year old mother has battled cancer. I went thru the process of getting an FMLA to be able to take her to radiation.
While taking her to radiation, I was told I was taking too much time off work. My company was going to take dicsplinary action against me.
I elected to retire.

Wishing you strength to deal with what you're going thru. It's the hardest part of our lives dealing with our aged parents!

Dee74 10-04-2016 04:44 PM

Thanks very much for that post tursiops - prayers and best wishes for you and your mom.

D

Mountainmanbob 10-04-2016 05:04 PM

Grateful to be here today for yet another day -- no guarantees

Originally Posted by tursiops999 (Post 6160322)

Each of us is living out a very unique and precious life.

We deserve only the kindest care, attention, and nurturing of our bodies and spirits.

So true -- glad that we realize that today.
Grateful so very grateful.
MB

Hevyn 10-04-2016 05:31 PM

Beautiful thoughts, tursiops. When I was deeply into my drinking days, it never once crossed my mind how wasteful I was being with my precious life. When we're young the years seem to stretch out before us endlessly - we're so reckless with the gift we've been given. Never again.

I'm happy your mother got to come home. :)

Fly N Buy 10-05-2016 01:41 PM

:)

BrendaChenowyth 10-05-2016 05:32 PM

I take care of a 90 year old lady and often wonder if I'll approach anywhere near that. I'm only in my 30s but haven't really taken care of myself... Mom is pushing 60, didn't either... she figures she has another ten GOOD years, ten tops beyond that... I can't see me living much past 70, longevity just doesn't run in our family... anyway, I just think about it sometimes and I think I threw away a decade ****ing up and I don't want to throw away any more time I have on this earth... cause when I quit drinking this last time I learned that I can enjoy life a hell of a lot more than I ever thought I could.... let's stop living like our bodies will never break down

Fusion 10-06-2016 05:01 AM

Tursiops, what a beautiful, powerful, important post. I shall etch it on my mind, to pull up and reflect upon.

I'm so glad to hear that your mom was able to return home. How fortunate your mom is to have you at her side, ready and able to fight her corner, should it become necessary. :grouphug: