Notices

"The Four L's"

Old 10-03-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question "The Four L's"

At the first outpatient treatment center I went to 10 years ago they taught us about the four L's. They stated that everyone who came in there for treatment was there because of one of them and that it was a good indicator of alcoholism.
"The Four L's" are:
-liver
-lover
-law
-livelihood

... folks coming in for addiction treatment were there because of one or more of the following: health, spouse (partner), legal troubles or work related issues. EVERYONE in my class was indeed there for at least one of the four L's.

10 years ago I was in treatment for one of the four. Now I am in Recovery because all four have been affected by alcohol (though I haven't yet had any major health concerns, thank the Creator).

But since that program I haven't heard of the four L's since, despite repeating rehab in different places several times.

If you happen to be a newcomer perhaps you should consider the four L's and if any apply to you. And remember I began with one and have ended with all four in 10 years.

Thought I'd share
Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post Windancer!

I also have 3 L's off of the list;

Law.....2 DUI's 15 years ago
Lovers....many of them over the years, never survived the crazy train
Livelihood.....several missed opportunities because of the ride on this train
Liver....thank heavens this one didn't suffer (shockingly)

No more booze research needed here....

Old 10-03-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I hadn't heard of them, but rehabs are good at coming up with catchy ideas. For me I would add lunacy, and make it 5 Ls.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks WD
Old 10-03-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was livelihood for me.

I knew that my continued drinking would cost me my career, and that was pretty much all I had.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've said it before... health problems, and all those other kinds of trouble were there... they were never enough to make me decide to stop drinking. Trouble will come to me even if I quit, even if I stay quit. Example, my gastritis has improved immensely, but maybe I get breast cancer, as I have a strong family history of it. Maybe I get fired for missing too much work due to blackouts, but maybe the small company I work for goes under (it's been having some issues here lately). Maybe my hypothetical husband leaves me because I drink too much, maybe he leaves because my newfound religiousness makes him want to drink, I don't know. Point is, the circumstances of life will always be an up and down roller coaster, no matter how long we stay drunk or sober. And yes, I can not deny that life gets better and problems get smaller when we are sober. But we still have problems. What made me decide to become and stay sober is that I looked in the mirror and didn't know who I was any more. I was not the person I had set out to be. I think it is important to enter in to a recovery program or to take steps towards recovery with the intention of creating a better life, not necessarily of "I'm here cause the court told me I had to go" or "I'm here cause my wife's threatening divorce". Does this make sense to anyone else?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

All of them for me except the law. But it was only a matter of time.

I'd add leftovers. I wasn't quite dead as a result of my drinking, but I no longer knew what it was to. be alive either.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
For me I would add lunacy, and make it 5 Ls.
Good idea, Gottalife! Though I am not sure if many newcomers would want to have to handle that one as well I know 10 years ago, I had trouble admitting to one of those.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I think it is important to enter in to a recovery program or to take steps towards recovery with the intention of creating a better life, not necessarily of "I'm here cause the court told me I had to go" or "I'm here cause my wife's threatening divorce". Does this make sense to anyone else?
I totally get what you are saying. I had tried to add something like that in this post but had trouble finding the right words, so I left it. It struck me strongly in that treatment center that everyone was there because of something other than their own happiness and desire to be sober. They didn't seem like they were truly doing it for themselves. The Creator knows I wasn't, and I wasn't ready 10 years ago.

The Four L's never left my thoughts though and I still find it interesting that most alcoholics can be pinned down to having issues with one of them directly as a result of alcoholism.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They do help to reinforce my sobriety, for sure! Sometimes, I see someone drinking whiskey on tv and I actually get heartburn and nausea.