Notices

4 days in, After relapse.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 days in, After relapse.

I woke up today, 4 days sober. I was 10 days sober out of detox, but my IOP intake was 2 weeks after my release. So of course I slipped by having a drink, and that landed me on a 4 day drinking binge. I was back at work drinking, AGAIN. After finally having my intake and going to my first session I feel a little more in control. I know I could have easily went to A.A. meetings while I was waiting for my intake. But I didn't, so I'm not going to dwell on the past I can't control. I just know If I go back to drinking like I was I will be dead by 30, I'm 25 years old.
1 day at a time.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome job Rilla!

What I would give to have quit at 25, please listen to your intuition and take sobriety seriously! I lost more as I continued my drinking pattern into my 30's and 40's, trust me ....it's not a path you want to take!

Forgive yourself, and love yourself hard and strong!

Old 10-01-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 4 days Rilla. Learn as much as you can at IOP and keep an open mind. Don't be afraid to try different meeting or anything else you can find for support outside of the sessions too - and that includes SR! The more work we put into our recovery the more we get out of it....it's a simple formula, although not "easy" to follow. Keep up the good work and you will be rewarded.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rilla,
reading your OP leaves me wondering about I know I could have easily went to A.A. meetings while I was waiting for my intake. But I didn't, so I'm not going to dwell on the past I can't control.
no use dwelling on it, but there might be much use in examining why you didn't.
we make choices all along, about what we do and don't. and so when you're looking forward, and attempting to make different choices, getting clarity on why you chose not to do something in the past might help you with that choice next time it comes up.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Folks x
Old 10-01-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

It was hard to quit at 25. I didn't have any long term mental or physical issues. I could drink and be fine that night.

One i hit my 40.s my ability to drink increased while my ability to recover decreased. I was having withdrawals in my 40.s and didn't even know or care.

Now that i am educated, i deal w the insanity of the crave in spite of knowing it will kill me.

Addict for life here.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I got sober at 22, medically diagnosed as hopeless and unlikely to see 23. I bought the 90 in 90 deal as a metaphor for total imersion in AA, sponsor, steps, meetings. 90 days came up, time for the review. I was into step nine by this time. Did I want this new way of life, or did I want a full refund of my misery?

The difference in the old and new way was stark. My whole outlook had changed, I knew I was on the right track at last. I never went back to the misery.

Here's my point. I could never have found this out by attending a few meetings, or even 90 meetings. I had to also do the program to experience the benefits, and 90 days is ample time to come to grips with the first nine steps. This is a world away from sitting in meetings using other peoples suffering to remind me of why I shouldn't drink.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I waited until I was twice your age, Rilla. By then my life was chaos. Congrats on your 4 days - you'll never have the regrets many of us do.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 4 is fantastic Rilla!! Keep it going!!