Notices

Shakes, after 30+ days sober?!

Old 09-30-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shakes, after 30+ days sober?!

Anyone know why I still have the shakes after over a month of sobriety? They are not as bad at all and they come and go. I asked my doctor who basically said he didn't know. Useful.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I'm no dr. But some folks shake from Parkinsons.

There is medication for it.

Staying sober can only help health wise.

I had horrible paranoia, off and on, when I quit. So many things bothered or made me feel uneasy. Now at nearly 17 mo. Sober, I am beginning to get used to being sober.

It is serene.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I get them now but not bad. When I get them tho. It is usually after a workout, or prolonged periods of not eating. I recently had a complete physical and it came back completely healthy in all aspects. The one physical problem I had was blood pressure and now it is not an issue. So basically mine is not eating enough to what my body is burning. I notice if I eat anything within 5-10 mins I am fine. I am not saying this is your reason but was for me. My body is requiring alot of nutrients at the moment. I am not a doctor but I would guess alot of people's body requires more to heal? I dunno, but I do wish you luck, and I hope its nothing serious. Have an awesome day
Old 09-30-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 30 days! Shaking could come from a wide range of soures: physical. Neurological and psychological. If your doctor has ruled out physical causes you could get a second opinion or consider seeing a neurologist or even a counselor. I had some shakes and dizziness for quite some time after I quit and a lot of it ended up being anxiety related.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Findec View Post
I notice if I eat anything within 5-10 mins I am fine. I am not saying this is your reason but was for me.
Thanks, you know this might be the case. I lost so much weight from drinking and my blood sugar is so screwed up.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I'm no dr. But some folks shake from Parkinsons.
And for a lot of other more mundane and less serious reasons too - lets not start diagnosing

If your doctor didn't give me any answers, I'd get a second opinion Augustine?

D
Old 09-30-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee74, yes I will do. Good idea. Also, Parkinsons has a specific rhythm, which I am not exhibiting.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by augustine1 View Post
Thanks, you know this might be the case. I lost so much weight from drinking and my blood sugar is so screwed up.
Let's hope thats what it is. I like you was really worried, but I had the complete physical a week ago and everything came back perfect. As soon as I eat the shakes go away. I am thinking we might be in the same boat, but it never hurts to have a complete physical. I am newly sober and losing weight so with sobriety and loss of weight my system (like yours I imagine) is going haywire. I think in time our systems will level out. Also Gratz on losing weight!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I had that as part of my first year or so. I think it's just nerves still healing. I don't have them today!
Old 09-30-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think there are other causes and we just automatically make that link!

It could be caffeine or nicotine or nerves.. some people have more of a tendency to have tremors than others..

And a lot of us, I'm noticing, will still have tremors when we think about drinking sometimes. Last Saturday I smelled red wine and didn't feel anything, but yesterday, the memory of that smell caused a bit of a tremor until I took a couple cleansing breaths and focused on something else.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sorry if a scared you w the park thing.

I just saw a video on YouTube today and the guy smoked pot to stop the shakes.

That is why i thought of park.

Some folks just shake too.

If it is motivation to stay clean, use it.

I use my anxiety to motivate me. Although now that it is qwelling....i have to roll the tape.
.and remind myself i am an addict.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Human

I'm 62 days and I've had nonstop shakes for over a week now.
While working on getting into a doctor's appointment, my research has turned up with all the above suggestions, as well as adrenal fatigue.
I researched some supplements, b complex and multivitamins, valerian etc to combat it in the meantime. Some days it's highly noticeable and other days I can only feel it if I'm sitting still. It would be superrrrr great if it was just my nerves healing, haha. Optimism ftw.
If you just had a physical and everything was okay then, I would think your body is still having some adjustment pains for now worth it to chase down a second opinion on what your doctor told you if you're not satisfied.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Matt M

I think the more you think about it the worse they can be and after that amount of time much of it may be down to nerves.

For me now, my hands are fine, but I know if I had to go somewhere and sign my name on an official form in front of someone, I'd get shaky.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It could be low blood sugar.
When you are drinking, you are getting a LOT of sugar. When you stop, you crave sugar, and most people do eat a lot of refined sugar or refined carbohydrates after stopping. This causes blood sugar to peak. Which causes a lot of insulin to be released into the blood, to bring it down, which in turn caused a lot of adrenaline to be released, which can cause trembeling.