Notices

Strong Urge Today

Old 09-26-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strong Urge Today

Had a rough day yesterday that carried into today and I got that very familiar desire to drink. I don't think I will ever forget this feeling. I usually get to feeling better in the afternoon but not today, so I took time out from work to eat a very filling afternoon lunch, I wanted to feel full. On the way to my 5:30 meeting I loaded up on Nestle's Semi Sweet Morsels and Diet Dr Pepper's from the grocery store to go along with my fresh made popcorn when I got home. I opened up to a very close friend about what was going on, and here I sit, posting to this group.

This routine worked today. Oh, throw in some prayers. And I did not share in AA, I seldom if ever do, I just don't do the sharing thing very well, but I needed to be there with others like me and it helped a lot. If nothing else, it was a very good distraction, and this has always helped me, especially today.

Thanks for letting me brain dump and vent here. It's what helps me the most.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you did everything right! Good job.
If its a serious craving, reaching out to a fellow sufferer is priceless.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey hope your evening is going well! You're prepared which is great and venting always helps. Stay strong and remember it will pass
Old 09-26-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One hour and 11 minutes away from one more day without a drink. I like my chances. I might be turning into a morsel of chocolate though.....or my blood will be a little darker.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through whoda

D
Old 09-26-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Whodathunk View Post

Had a rough day yesterday that carried into today and I got that very familiar desire to drink.
I have had a rough couple of weeks now. Thank God no desire to drink over it all. We must get to the point in time where we realize that a drink will only make matters worse. How many times will we touch a hot stove ??????????

M-Bob
Old 09-26-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Whodathunk
Old 09-26-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Human

So admirative of your strength! Glad you made it through
Old 09-27-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Whodathunk View Post
Had a rough day yesterday that carried into today and I got that very familiar desire to drink. I don't think I will ever forget this feeling. I usually get to feeling better in the afternoon but not today, so I took time out from work to eat a very filling afternoon lunch, I wanted to feel full. On the way to my 5:30 meeting I loaded up on Nestle's Semi Sweet Morsels and Diet Dr Pepper's from the grocery store to go along with my fresh made popcorn when I got home. I opened up to a very close friend about what was going on, and here I sit, posting to this group.

This routine worked today. Oh, throw in some prayers. And I did not share in AA, I seldom if ever do, I just don't do the sharing thing very well, but I needed to be there with others like me and it helped a lot. If nothing else, it was a very good distraction, and this has always helped me, especially today.

Thanks for letting me brain dump and vent here. It's what helps me the most.
When you say you seldom sahre, do you mean speak during the meeting, or do you keep completely to yourself?

Sharing a smile with a newcomer, welcoming the new person, encouraging someone who is struggling, just sharing a little of your ESH with the people around you, before and after the meeting, that is just as much sharing, and will probably do you a lot more good.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I generally don't share (talk) in the meetings. If I have something to share I will, but most always go to listen and be with others like me. I now that just by being there I am in a way helping others since we have all been told this. Yes, I do smile, I say hi, and I am not rude to people. I just don't share.