SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   This has been a tough weekend! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/398090-has-been-tough-weekend.html)

steve-in-kville 09-25-2016 01:33 PM

This has been a tough weekend!

Not sure whats up. This weekend was the toughest weekend I ever experienced since I'm sober. Its not that bad stuff happened, but I feel kinda empty and drained. Its not that I am angry or sad. Just drained.

Maybe a new normal? I no longer have the whiskey to dampen things anymore. Perhaps reality is setting in...

tomsteve 09-25-2016 02:32 PM

it could be the fog has lifted- the mental and emotional stuff going through yer mellon is exhausting ya?
but it isn't a new normal. more just a part of the recovery process your body has to go through.

steve-in-kville 09-25-2016 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by tomsteve (Post 6148919)
it could be the fog has lifted- the mental and emotional stuff going through yer mellon is exhausting ya?
but it isn't a new normal. more just a part of the recovery process your body has to go through.

Meh. Could be. Hoping it passes. I am really tired, even though I didn't do much all day. I was gonna go for a bike ride but felt too drained.

REsoberALITY 09-25-2016 02:57 PM

Hang in there! I can't agree more though, recovery is physically as well as mentally exhausting. and when will I able to take what my body is telling me as "face value" per say!? (Normal if you will) I've only known how my body feels drunk, hungover and recovering so far.

Gottalife 09-25-2016 03:31 PM

Forgive me if I have missed something, but I once attempted recovery in a similar fashion. A bit of excercise, diet, and distraction, and I got about the same results.

I lasted a good time, about two months as I recall, but it did not get any better, in fact it got worse and worse until I ceased to function altogether. I returned to my old solution, alcohol.

The lesson I eventually learned was that active and specific measures were needed to treat my alcoholism. My approach had not done that.

Optimini 09-25-2016 03:38 PM

As long as its temporary, I think it's normal. I think everyone goes through this, but alcoholics probably don't notice due to hangovers.
If it's an ongoing thing, go to your doctor for a check up, get some blood work done to make sure you are ok.

Hevyn 09-25-2016 03:39 PM

Steve, I had similar feelings for the first few months. It's a huge adjustment for us. The exhaustion (both mental and physical) went away with time. If it doesn't get better I hope you'll check with your doctor.

Dave42001 09-25-2016 04:15 PM

Hang in there Friend!!! Kudos to you for posting.. Hope you have a good week!!

Candela 09-25-2016 04:44 PM

keep the faith

Dear Steve:

Please know that we are here to support you. I had a tough weekend myself. As someone who has sobered up, relapsed, and sobered up again, I am very familiar with the cycle of early sobriety. Right now I am on another day 7 - my last day 7 God willing - and I feel at certain moments as if I'm made of glass. My own thoughts and emotions make me feel like I could break any minute. Then I take a breath and remind myself that anything worth having is worth working for. If sobriety were easy a lot more of us would be sober.

People get sober in a lot of different ways and there are a lot of great resources on this site. This girl has to do AA and work the steps, it's the only thing that works for me. Otherwise, it is too easy to forget who I am - a person with the disease of alcoholism. So - despite the emotional ups and downs I feel, the physical implications of my drinking (liver pain and exhaustion), and the stress I am feeling about some major things in my life - I hang on to the fact that I am sober today. And today - like every day - that's all that matters.

Please keep sharing and posting. It does get better!

steve-in-kville 09-25-2016 04:55 PM

Thanks for the replies, folks.

I think I not getting enough sleep. Since I sobered up, I really need a solid 7 hours, if not more per night. I think its all part of the healing process, at least I hope so.

Dave42001 09-25-2016 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville (Post 6149067)
Thanks for the replies, folks.

I think I not getting enough sleep. Since I sobered up, I really need a solid 7 hours, if not more per night. I think its all part of the healing process, at least I hope so.

I believe it!! our body's heal when we sleep!! Eat healthy and often, take a walk for a bike ride and sleep!!!!

Keep up the great work!!! One day at a time!

Maudcat 09-25-2016 09:27 PM

Early days are hard, Steve. It will get better, bit by bit. Promise.

DolAndel 09-26-2016 01:28 AM

Good luck getting some better rest. Would it help to program more distractions throughout the day on weekends? Hope this week goes better for ya bud!

zjw 09-26-2016 05:54 AM

in early sobriety i was pretty neurotic about taking my vitamins and such.

for me at the end of the day if i've eaten well excercised and so on and i'm still tired I have to remind myself i'm not superman and it is indeed normal and ok to take some time for some R&R. Booze always made me feel like i was superman and could tackle everything. After I quit I realized I couldnt just pile tons and tons of stuff on me and drink the stress away. I had to tackle what i could be ok with that and realize its ok to be tired.

ScottFromWI 09-26-2016 07:57 AM

Sleep was a biggie for me too. I still only get about 6 hours a night, maybe 7 if I'm lucky but getting them all in a row really helps. And it does get better over time Steve - keeping somewhat active, eating well and trying to keep stimulation to a minimum ( and eating ) the last hour or two before bed really helps me. I find that even if I am reading here on SR or watching some videos on an iPad right before I go to bed it makes it more difficult to fall asleep.

SoberCAH 09-26-2016 11:05 AM

Sorry you are going through a choppy time, Steve.

My recovery has not been entirely static.

There have been some valleys along the way.

For me, prayer, working the AA program, diet, exercise and meds (for occasional depression and insomnia) have been helpful in my efforts to get and stay sober and to live a life to good purpose.

We are all very happy you are with us.

dwtbd 09-26-2016 12:15 PM

Hope it's a temporary thing, I had similar experiences. making sure to try and get a decent of sleep certainly helped and thinking about a better diet, vitamins,proper hydration( and don't skimp on the ice cream :) ), and if you can work it into the schedule try exercising, a bike ride or even just a good walk , early , helps jump- start the day. It's a little rough motivation wise to get it started early but it can soon become a welcome ritual.
wish you well and keep truckin! You're doing great!

steve-in-kville 09-26-2016 12:22 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

I think sleep is a big one right now. My sleep patterns/habits have really changed since being sober. I am finding that I really need a solid 7 hours/night. Being that is gets dark by 7pm makes it easy!

I also commute to work by bike, so that tends to wear on me a bit. I am also having to learn how to relate to the family. Spending quality time in the evenings instead of being locked away in my room drinking until I black out.

dwtbd 09-26-2016 12:42 PM

Lol, riding bike: exercise early check :)