Dilemma at work

Old 09-25-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Dilemma at work

Good morning everyone,

I am a in bit of a dilemma. I am an RN in a REALLY busy emergency room so you can imagine the stress level (I have NEVER gone to work drunk btw). In July, I had a c/t scan done and was diagnosed with a concussion due to injury. My doctor has yet to clear me to go back to work due to the symptoms I am still having so I have nothing to do all day and started drinking an entire bottle of rum every day since then.

Unfortunately, my primary practices at the hospital I work in so all his notes are in the same computer system as the one we use in the ER. He is also good friends with my nurse manager.

How can I approach him that my symptoms were't getting better and masked by the alcoholism and that I want medical advice to quit?
crypto80 is offline  
Old 09-25-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: US
Posts: 5,095
If you're worried about you privacy can't you see a different dr?

If you're bored while out of work, how about an AA meeting? That can really help with your recovery.
entropy1964 is offline  
Old 09-25-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mountainmanbob's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lakeside, Ca
Posts: 10,208
Possibly ask for a referral to a doctor outside your hospital ASAP.

Your doctor probably won't even question why.

Mountainmanbob is offline  
Old 09-25-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
If you're worried about you privacy can't you see a different dr?

If you're bored while out of work, how about an AA meeting? That can really help with your recovery.
I'm sorry, I meant medical treatment because I'm planning on going cold turkey.
crypto80 is offline  
Old 09-25-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,912
What level of medical assistance would you like? If you are thinking medical home detox, maybe going to an walk-in clinic (Urgent Care or something similar). Or perhaps see a private doctor?

I also work in a major hospital and see a primary care doctor there, plus some other specialists as needed, simply because it's most convenient and cheapest for me. But I never used the same hospital for addiction-related issues. I went to a private rehab and see mental health practitioners also in private. Segregating treatments may not be the best solution though if you think that the consequences of your injury are influenced by your drinking and vice versa because, as you said, the alcohol might mask some symptoms or make others worse. But if you are thinking a supervised detox might be helpful and take other things from there, another doctor could be a solution for detox. But I would look into other, follow-up treatments as well since it seems like you cannot control your drinking. It is not going to be easy after stopping for a while.
Aellyce is offline  
Old 09-25-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic
Gottalife's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Thailand
Posts: 6,594
You mentioned alcoholism in your first post. There is no medical cure for this. Medical supervision is often desirable during detox for the reason that withdrawals can be dangerous on some cases.

This will get you clear of the booze, but it will not keep you sober. It is one thing to stop, I have done it a thousand times, but quite another to stay stopped. If you are an alcoholic of my type, even after a long period of abstinence, if you should pick up you are guaranteed to lose control again.

The suggestion made earlier to use the time you have tocheck out the AA program for permanent recovery is a good one.
Gottalife is offline  
Old 09-25-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sugarbear1's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 15,880
What, if any, were you drinking before July and how often?
sugarbear1 is offline  
Old 09-25-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader
ScottFromWI's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 16,945
I'd say go to a differrent hospital or a private rehab center if you are concerned about your relationship with coworkers. However, lying ( or withholding ) info from your primary care physician is not really Helpful in the long run either.

I am assuming that if you work in an ER you've seen some of the possible complications of withdrawals, so I'm glad you are seeking medical assistance.

Think of what advice you would give a patient under your care that was in the same situation you are.
ScottFromWI is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 AM.