SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   No Withdrawal Symptoms (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/397918-no-withdrawal-symptoms.html)

vikmaniac 09-21-2016 11:58 AM

No Withdrawal Symptoms

Hello guys,

Im a newcomer to your great forum.

I started drinking regularly when i was 17 years old. After i got away to study (20 yo) i increased my daily intake about half a bottle of wine a day or mores everyday. When i became 26 i was drinking every night about 8 litres of beer (sometimes more) an the next morning i was able to go to my work. Until last year when i had 3 really bad panic attacks and i was diagnosed with General anxiety Disorder. I kept drinking the same amount but i wasnt able to go to work. Now i decide to stop because i think alcohol makes my anxiety worst.

My question is the last 3 days i drink a pint a day just because im afraid i will have withdrawal symptoms. But i didint had any ? Is that normal ?

ScottFromWI 09-21-2016 12:16 PM

Welcome to SR vikmaniac. Withdrawal symptoms generally occur only when you quit drinking completely, although that's not always the case. Since you are still drinking, albeit not that much, you might not be experiencing withdrawals symptoms yet.

Having said that, withdrawals can potentially be severe...so if you decide to quit entirely seeing a doctor is a very good preventative measure.

steve-in-kville 09-21-2016 12:41 PM

This method isn't the most popular here, but I did a taper over the course of 5 days. The many, many times I quit cold turkey I suffered horrible withdrawals: aches, pains, insomnia (big time!), when I did dose off I had nightmares, and my anxiety was off the hook.

This worked for me, but not sure I would recommend it to everyone.

vikmaniac 09-21-2016 01:01 PM

Thanks guys for the immediate response. Im really glad i can share my thoughts with someone tha knows what it fills like

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville (Post 6144437)
This method isn't the most popular here, but I did a taper over the course of 5 days. The many, many times I quit cold turkey I suffered horrible withdrawals: aches, pains, insomnia (big time!), when I did dose off I had nightmares, and my anxiety was off the hook.

This worked for me, but not sure I would recommend it to everyone.

Steve i was planning to taper but i didn't had the time because i have some really importand exams so i can't.

Scott the the problem is tha i doesn't drink to relief my symptoms i just drink because i'm afraid of the symptoms. I wake up normally every morning, and drink late at evening just because i 'm afraid to left myself without any alchohol, i don't even fell the need to do it, i read a lot of articles on the internet and i didn't read something like this.

As you can imagine because of my GAD i feel very scared about not having symptoms. I know it sounds stupid , but if i had any symptoms i was gonna treat them as i should.

Thanks again for your time

ScottFromWI 09-21-2016 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by vikmaniac (Post 6144467)
Scott the the problem is tha i doesn't drink to relief my symptoms i just drink because i'm afraid of the symptoms. I wake up normally every morning, and drink late at evening just because i 'm afraid to left myself without any alchohol, i don't even fell the need to do it, i read a lot of articles on the internet and i didn't read something like this.

As you can imagine because of my GAD i feel very scared about not having symptoms. I know it sounds stupid , but if i had any symptoms i was gonna treat them as i should.

I don't think it really matters why you are still drinking - either to avoid symptoms or because you are afraid of symptoms. Bottom line you are still drinking and if you decide to stop, seeking some medical advice is a good idea to avoid any possible bad side effects.

I am diagnosed with GAD myself and specifically health anxiety so I understand very well what you are going through. I felt the same way when I quit. And one time I ended up in the ER because I didn't seek help first. It ended up being nothing major but i was foolish to do it on my own. It's far better to be safe than sorry.

steve-in-kville 09-21-2016 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 6144548)
Bottom line you are still drinking and if you decide to stop, seeking some medical advice is a good idea to avoid any possible bad side effects.

It's far better to be safe than sorry.

Better advice than we can give you. Be honest with a doctor. Home detoxes are possible but too many of us free-lanced it and could have (or did) ended up in the ER whether we wanted to or not.

Forward12 09-22-2016 08:30 AM

Not everyone has withdrawl symptoms and it varies from person to person. Some people can come off the booze and experience little, while others it can be violent.