Notices

Non-Alcoholic Wine & Beer

Old 09-21-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have never tried non-alcoholic wine, because I don't see the point of it. I did not drink wine because I liked the taste of it, to be honest.

I am also uncomfortable drinking out of a wine glass or champagne flute now - it is way too close a behaviour to alcoholic drinking. I have had to retrain my mind in so many drastic ways to get away from drinking, including changing routines, changing the way I spend my time, changing thought processes, changing reactions ... why would I put myself in a position where everything is exactly as it was when I was drinking except what is in the glass?

To each her own, of course, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I think - good on you for the 3 weeks and getting through the wedding without drinking, but I'm with your hubby on this one!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SomeSortOfHuman View Post
Hello,

I'm on 3 weeks and just wondering what people think about non alcoholic wine and beer in early sobriety?

I have been trying a few non-alcoholic wines and beers in the evening - many are awful, but I've found a couple that I like the taste of, and I enjoy the familiar ritual of opening the bottle, using the nice glassware etc. I find it comforting to continue the ritual of the habit in the evening - holding a cold beer bottle or an elegant wine glass - even though the substance in the glass isn't alcohol. Bottles of alcohol free beer were a life-saver at a recent wedding, where I didn't feel like drawing everyone's attention to the fact that I wasn't drinking.

Do you think there's any harm in this? My way of thinking about it is that my priority is keeping alcohol out of my mouth - so I can drink anything else in any kind of fancy glass if it helps! But my husband (a moderate drinker) worries that I might be playing with fire. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!

x
Well, to each his own but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

I think your husband is correct.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I personally don't find NA beer or wine to be an issue, I have one on occasion and there is no pull at all for me to have the regular. I've also had one or two maybe once a month (or less) in the last 4 months.

I agree with some of the previous posts, though - it seems to be the ritual that you're seeking, that gives me the impression that you are resistant to completely letting go of drinking, or changing what was. That I think is more telling than what you're putting in the glass.

I also do believe that most people don't notice and/or don't care if you're not drinking with them. I've had a couple of offhand "pregnant?" comments (I'm 36), but for people that I know, I've usually just said, "I quit drinking." Some ask why (not in a nosy way even, more curiosity) and I stay vague - but I've never had a person, after knowing that, be anything but positive/supportive.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Terrible idea. It's like saying, I had a bad experience falling into an active volcano, but this time I'm only on the edge of the volcanic volcano and it's a non-volcano, so it's all good, right?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I drank the non-alcoholic beer early on in sobriety but finally thought what's the point? I might as well be drinking a Topochico bottled water (fizzy water, now my favorite) or just water.

If it is ritual you are looking for, I get that, just take an empty wine bottle, wash it out, and fill it with water and put a cork in it. Then pour it in your nice wine glass. Now you have the ritual covered.

If you are worried about what your friends, your group, would think if you were the only one not drinking, I would try telling them that you stopped drinking. If they persist in being nosy, find new friends. Most people get it.

I specifically tell people now who DO ask why I am not drinking, that I used to be fine with alcohol, but now I am not fine with it, and they really don't want to see me after I have a drink. I have only said this a few times, and it is quite interesting how some react positively, like they themselves have been looking for something to say themselves, others just don't get it, but that's there fault. One person has said "Oh, you're an alcoholic", and I said yes I am, and now I don't associate with that person anymore.

When you get sober, and when you stay sober, what we hear really is true, you will lose friends, and some friends you need to lose. The good friends will continue to be good friends. Otherwise, why would you want them as friends anyway?

But that is your choice, one of many choices, and we all have choices we have to face and make ourselves.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Some people have strong opinions on this one.

There is more alcohol in orange juice than in N/A beer.

My drink of choice was wine, haven't tried any of the N/A ones but I do drink N/A beer. There are only a couple that taste good, though (St. Pauli Girl and Beck's). I can only drink one, though, and beer wasn't something I drank a lot of when I was actively drinking.

I don't see a problem drinking the N/A stuff or putting seltzer water in a pretty wine glass.

I also drink a lot of tea, iced and hot. Before I go to bed, my "ritual" will be to have some tea and honey. And La Croix makes a wonderful carbonated coconut water. It's really your choice -- if drinking N/A beer or wine keeps you away from the real stuff, then go ahead. Just don't make it your only beverage!
Old 09-28-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is more alcohol in orange juice than in N/A beer.
I never drink orange juice the way I drank beer - but I did drink NA beer the way I drank beer.

Behaviors.

D
Old 09-29-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I never drink orange juice the way I drank beer - but I did drink NA beer the way I drank beer.

D
Haha, good one!

I wasn't much of a beer drinker before and I can only drink one N/A beer. I think bc I am actually drinking it for the taste, not the sensation. Plus, it's pretty filling.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
I think bc I am actually drinking it for the taste, not the sensation.
I tried all of the NA beers and I cannot name one of them that I enjoyed the taste of. To me NA beer is kind of like dehydrated water...doesn't make a lot of sense, ya know?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

the last time I drank near beer 25 years ago I drank a 12 pack, I was early in sobriety a couple months sober and that was the last time I tried that for 23 years, and then I! well you can guess the rest.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I was under the impression that NA beers has a small amount of alcohol in them. I have tried them before and not only did they taste like water, but they certainly didn't do anything to diminish the cravings...

I now drink a lot of coffee and pop.. love caffeine.. lemonade, root beer.. that's the only kind of beer I drink now!
Old 09-29-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

So my weight hasn't budged in the last six weeks, cause I haven't really decreased liquid calories lol
Old 09-29-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I was under the impression that NA beers has a small amount of alcohol in them.
They do. Up to .5%. So it's not a lot, but a six pack of NA beer can be about the equal of one regular beer.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Cool

Actually most NA malt beverages average closer to about .5% (some as low as .3%, idk) alcohol content, and most American beers average about 5% (approximately 4.85%). Therefore, it would take approximately 10 NA malt beverages to equal one regular beer (60 NA malt beverages to equal a regular 6-pack)..

To get a buzz on, I usually started with a 12-pack. In order to do that with NA malt beverages, I'd have to down 120 of them; that just ain't gonna happen unless I were to do all my drinking while sitting on the toilet..................lolol

(o:
Old 09-29-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Drinking beer was part of my old life not part of my new. NA beer is just teasing your addiction. I drank to get drink and no amount of NA beer is going to take me where I want to go
Old 10-02-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It's my firm belief that the "safety" of NA beer is what started my gradual descent into relapse.

After ~6 months of total abstinence, I had an NA beer. And although I may have fooled myself into "thinking" that I wasn't romanticizing the traditions and behaviors which framed my former binge drinking, I was dead wrong.

Months later, I was at a restaurant that didn't serve NA beer, but the server boasted about a "low alcohol" (~2%) beer that was highly recommended.

So, I had one of those. And then continued to drink them on occasion for a few more weeks. It wasn't a huge leap from there to allowing myself to have a "real" beer here and there...just on special occasions.

That quickly lead to regular "real" beer drinking. But ONLY on the weekends!

It was a matter of weeks before I was drinking daily, and ultimately back to 18-20 cans of beer per day before checking myself back into detox a week ago today.

You MIGHT be ok with an NA beer or wine here or there; more importantly, you might not. In my experience, the gamble isn't worth it, and it's not one I'll ever take again.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

After posting on this thread, I coincidentally had my first sip of "alcohol removed" wine on the weekend. I went to visit my sister and her husband, who both drink. They had bought the NA wine for a laugh. They hadn't bought it specifically for me, apparently.

I had a sip to try it. The wine was so awful tasting that the only reason I would have kept drinking it was to have the "feeling" of drinking wine again. I could see no other reason so I poured it down the sink. Along with the warnings on this thread, it has convinced me more than ever that it would be a slippery slope for me.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yah, taste of na beer andwine is just not great. That's why I switched to more flavorful soft drinks. Mio makes little flavor thingies that you can squeeze into your water. The lemonade one is pretty good, and I don't get the calories of sugary drinks like lemonade and oj. V-8 juice is good too. Look at me, a walking advertisement today!
Old 10-03-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Yah, taste of na beer andwine is just not great. That's why I switched to more flavorful soft drinks. Mio makes little flavor thingies that you can squeeze into your water. The lemonade one is pretty good, and I don't get the calories of sugary drinks like lemonade and oj. V-8 juice is good too. Look at me, a walking advertisement today!
I LOVE the Mio drops. Orange Tangerine is my fave!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I say if it helps you get through a difficult time then why not.