SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Possible wet brain (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/397796-possible-wet-brain.html)

amuawad1 09-19-2016 07:53 AM

Possible wet brain

Please can someone help, I'm running out of options. 15yrs ago I used to drink very heavy. I then stopped for a long time. I started doing it sensibly about 10yrs ago, but then stopped 3 years ago to look after my mum and I was doing fine till this year when I started getting excruciating pain in my head, ringing in my ears with fast heart rate. Doc has been no good. And hospital are dragging their feet. Does this sound like wet brain?

doggonecarl 09-19-2016 08:15 AM

Welcome. Sorry you aren't getting the answers you need from your doctors. If a hospital can't diagnose you, I'm not sure how an anonymous forum could...even if it was within forum rules to give medical advice, which we can't.

And stay off of doctor Google, it's just going to make you anxious.

ScottFromWI 09-19-2016 08:16 AM

Welcome to SR amauawad1 and sorry to hear of your troubles. As Carl mentions, we cannot give medical advice here per forum policy. I'm sorry your doc has been unhelpful, can you see a different doctor by chance?

Opivotal 09-19-2016 08:31 AM

Welcome amuawad!

So sorry you're having pain. As posted above, it's impossible for us to "guess" what's going on. I hope you continue to follow up with your Doctor.

I had headaches the first couple of weeks, but they went away.

Soberwolf 09-19-2016 10:06 AM

but an MRI can discover wet brain as I've had one luckily I must have had a guardian angel or something because the drs were serious luckily I was ok & it wasn't that

Did your dr organise a scan ? because really wet brain is treated at a hospital & what did you mean by the hospital dragging thier feet can you explain further on that

SoberCAH 09-19-2016 10:33 AM

Glad you are with us.

I hope you stick around.

I really don't think people suffering from wet brain have the cognitive skills to realize it (I may be wrong about this - it's just my observations).

Keep us posted.

I hope you succeed in getting and staying sober.

Boleo 09-19-2016 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by SoberCAH (Post 6141766)

I really don't think people suffering from wet brain have the cognitive skills to realize it.

CATCH 22 - If you're sane enough to recognize that you are going crazy... You must not be crazy.
:e136:

tomsteve 09-20-2016 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by amuawad1 (Post 6141595)
Please can someone help, I'm running out of options. 15yrs ago I used to drink very heavy. I then stopped for a long time. I started doing it sensibly about 10yrs ago, but then stopped 3 years ago to look after my mum and I was doing fine till this year when I started getting excruciating pain in my head, ringing in my ears with fast heart rate. Doc has been no good. And hospital are dragging their feet. Does this sound like wet brain?

welocome. what im reading is you stopped 3 years ago and havent been drinking in 3 years? im no expert but dont think the symptoms of wet brain pop up after 3 years sober.

Gottalife 09-20-2016 03:01 AM

About a year before I got sober I spevt ten weeks in the sanitarioum with about 50 Korsakov (wet brain) patients. They appeared pretty normal to me except that they could not take in anything new, and were incapable of living out in the community.

Some examples were the lady I met on arrival who was going to take me to the staff bar that eveneing. The Man who greeted me and invited me to join him for a beer in the upstairs bar. This was where I caught on, there was no upstairs.

Then there was the chap who was given the job of polishing the brass door knobs. Rag and polish in hand he did the job, then, as he walked away, he looked in his hands, saw the polish, and went back and did it again. He did this for mote than an hour before one of the staff noticed.

There was this chap, Des W. who we got to meet in the hospital after he had a heart attack. He was right on the edge of Korsakovs, and only began to remember us after a week or so of intensive visiting. He just couldn't remeber anything new, and was very confused.

He began to come right, it seemed there might be hope for him, but then he was discharged without support, went back to his old hovel where his alcohilic roomate gave him one more drink. The next week we saw him looking forlornly through the steamed up windows in the lock up Korsakovs ward. A very sad story.

As far as I can recall, none of them talked to me about any physical symptoms the like of which you describe. In that sense they seemed to run quite well.

SoberCAH 09-20-2016 12:55 PM

Thanks, Gotta, you just taught me more about wet brain than I ever knew.

I would say I slew a lot of brain cells over the 13 years I drank alcoholically every night, but a few of the lucky ones have remained at some level of communication over the years.

I appreciate the insights.

I consider myself blessed that I got sober when I did (at age 31).

I had a great uncle, who, like myself, was a lawyer, but he lived on skid row near the Mississippi River in St. Louis until he finally died (many decades ago).

I am grateful that I haven't been a statistic like he was.

Dee74 09-20-2016 04:49 PM

Hi and welcome amuawad1 :)

I'm just an ordinary guy and not a Doctor, but as far as I understand it, wet brain is a kind of dementia, and nothing in your post suggests to me that you have dementia :)

If your current Dr can't give you any answers, I'd definitely chase up a second opinion?

D

EndGameNYC 09-20-2016 05:15 PM

You didn't explain it, so I have no idea what you mean when you say the doc isn't helping.

If you've been susceptible to hypochondria in the past, then it's unlikely that anyone can allay your fear.

amuawad1 10-04-2016 04:35 AM

Thanks to all for the reply. I'm probably just being silly. I FINALLY got an MRI appointment this morning for the 27 th of this month. So just a bit more waiting. It's just all the waiting that's driving me nuts. Know there's no structural damage which I'm happy about. Just want to get the all clear inside. Yes I know...Gross! Lol

amuawad1 10-04-2016 05:57 AM

My doctor diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia and then shipped me off to neurologist who I see 1 every 2 months.

ScottFromWI 10-04-2016 06:07 AM

Hope that your scan goes well and that you can work out a plan to mitigate the circumstances with your neurologist.

Maudcat 10-04-2016 06:18 AM

I am glad that you have an answer. Knowing what is wrong is helpful, at least. Good luck going forward.

Soberwolf 10-04-2016 07:45 AM

Best wishes with the apt

Maudcat 10-04-2016 08:06 AM

Hey, amuawad1, just a quick follow-up: my sib has Wernecke-Korsakoff syndrome, aka wet brain, as the result of an alcohol-related seizure several years ago. It presents with him as memory loss, an inability to track days of the week, balance problems, and some confusion of events. Thought you might like to know. Peace.