SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Any good cures for insomnia?? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/397773-any-good-cures-insomnia.html)

EventHorizons 09-18-2016 08:59 PM

Any good cures for insomnia??

Hi everyone,

I was doing pretty well for awhile. After day 4 or 5 was finally sleeping pretty well. I don't know what happened, but it sorta tanked at day 10 or 11. Now it's hard to get a good night's sleep.

I'm not saying that not sleeping will cause me to drink, but it sure does weaken my strength to resist my triggers and my temporary (hopefully) fragile mental state.

I could get ambien or the like from the doctor, but as silly as it sounds for an alkie, I hate taking most pills cause I feel crazy the next day. I do take a melatonin every night but lately that hasn't helped either.

Does anyone have any goods "cures" from the early days of quitting??

Thanks! Goodnight everyone.

EH

Dee74 09-18-2016 09:04 PM

I think insomnia is pretty much a part of withdrawal for most of us.

It usually took me a few days to a week to get back into a normal sleep pattern - I didn't take any meds, but there's some good common sense tips here

10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices
Insomnia Tips - How to Get Better Sleep

D

SoberLifeForMe 09-18-2016 09:33 PM

I drink a hot mug of Sleepy Time tea a little while before bed. That seems to help. Maybe that's worth a shot.

StormiNormi 09-18-2016 11:09 PM

Lifestyle cookies

I swear by them. Two before bedtime with sleepy time tea. My favorite is the blueberry and brown sugar.
Not too sweet. I think they are made by Christies

Notimetoloose 09-18-2016 11:50 PM

A good 30 minutes in a magnesium bath and chamomile tea...good luck.

Loekken 09-19-2016 02:37 AM

I wanted to embed this vid but can't get it to work,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2c4L6ovffg

I personally found this both interesting and relaxing.

EventHorizons 09-19-2016 04:05 AM

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! Last night wasn't too bad. Part of it may just be the stress of things to come.

Plus, it's possible I may be spending a little too much time here late at night. I may need to start my booster shot of support a little earlier in the evening. :)

EH

JesseJe 09-19-2016 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by EventHorizons (Post 6141274)
Thanks for the thoughts everyone! Last night wasn't too bad. Part of it may just be the stress of things to come.

Plus, it's possible I may be spending a little too much time here late at night. I may need to start my booster shot of support a little earlier in the evening. :)

EH

The blue light from computer screens affects melatonin production, it's best to stay away from computers and phones for a few hours before bedtime. Also keep lights dim in the evening.

There is also an app called FLUX which removes the blue light from screens when it is dark outside.

Good luck!

zjw 09-19-2016 05:49 AM

i often wonder how many grown adults with kids go to bed and sleep soundly for a solid 8 hours or so regularly.

I think in my case what I think might be insomnia might just be life.

EventHorizons 09-19-2016 06:08 AM

Thanks JesseJe, I actually use an app called twilight that turns my screen a very dim red at night, and it wouldn't seem like much, but it does help a little. That, and I've started using a sleep mask and that also has helped quite a bit. I'm up from 3 hours (when I'm not drinking) to a good 5 because of those changes. I'm not sure a solid 8 will ever happen, but as part of my sober plans, I'm trying to find some solid time for more exercise, and maybe that can get past 6 hours.

And unfortunately zjw, I have no kids to blame for my bad sleeping habits. The little voices in my head are plenty to keep me up at night! That should be my next post - how do you stop a racing mind when it's bed time??

Thanks!

EH

carlingford 09-19-2016 06:29 AM

I take magnesium and a warm Glass of Milk, it helps me get about 7.5 hrs during week and 8 hours at weekend. (as kids still asleep and no school) should really go to bed earlier also I have my bedroom totally blacked out not a piece of light coming in.

zjw 09-19-2016 06:46 AM

That should be my next post - how do you stop a racing mind when it's bed time??
I battled that for a very long time. I finally have a handle on it most of the time now. I had to just tell my brain to stop wtf am i thinking about this at 3am etc.. now is not the time. someitmes get up walk around then go back to bed. It took a while but i dont have this problem to much anymore thankfully.

I know a facemask can help me stay asleep once the sun starts coming up.

I tend to have the most trouble all night long till about 5 or 6 am thats when i start getting reallyg ood sleep but then by 730 its time to get up so i'm SOL.

Maudcat 09-19-2016 06:50 AM

Warm milk with cinnamon and honey is good. Sometimes I have a cookie with it. I can't fall asleep if I am hungry. Melatonin hasn't worked for me. Sometimes an otc dram of night time sleep aid is helpful, though I try to lean more on the milk. Not being able to sleep when I first became sober was the worst!

Forward12 09-19-2016 06:53 AM

It is a bit rough during the first few weeks, but if needed good ol' benedryl works well. If you do need something stronger, there are quite a few non-addictive prescription sleep aids as well.

EventHorizons 09-19-2016 08:00 AM

I will definitely look into the magnesium. I read in one place, melatonin can actually be detrimental to you - heart palpitations, and constricted bloodflow??? Anyone else ever heard that? I will say though that the vivid to bad dreams thing about melatonin is real. I used to take a quick dissolve to help go to sleep, and a slow release to stay asleep, and the dreaming thing was definitely real. I did wake up a few times with heart palpitations, but I always chalked that up to the alcohol.

And zjw, what is it about 4-6am??? I swear if I could sleep from 4 or 5am until 9 or 10am, I would be a different person!! Too bad work doesn't see it that way.

EH

zjw 09-19-2016 08:24 AM

yeah i couldnt agree more on the timing. if i could just stay in bed and sleep from 4-6am till 10 or whatever i'd be a happy camper and not to unhappy about all the other wasted hours of the night.

last night i oddly had a 4 hour stretch of sleep i was out cold for 4 solid hours. first time that has happend in i dunno how long. Tho i want to say a couple months back i had a long stretch too. that sorta thing is so rare for me like once every 10 years maybe?

I tried magnesium myself it helped relax me and such but I honestly woke up still sluggish and relaxed so it kinda backfired. Benadryle back fires for me also makes me short of breath. Melatonin again I wake up sluggish.

I just deal with it anymore try and do my best to up my odds but thats about all i can do.

I am glad i got the racing mind stuff under control for the most part. I used to wake up mind racing about work at 3am. I"m liek OH COME ONE i didnt ask for this i didnt wanna wake up and think about this> I'm not getting paid at 3 am to solve the companies problems etc.. I eventually got control of this and it doesnt really happen much anymore.

carlingford 09-19-2016 08:36 AM

I find it good for a long deep sleep, 1 tab 45 minutes before retiring, Magnesium aids in calming the nerves and relaxing the muscles, which in turn can help individuals to fall asleep. Best of ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Upstairs 09-19-2016 08:47 AM

I went through a really bad three months stretch of insomnia this year. I have been taking magnesium at night and I'm prolly not supposed to mention specific medical sleep aids. Anyway, I found a really cool room helped me about as much as anything. I put in a window a/c unit and cranked it up at night with the door closed.

SoberCAH 09-19-2016 10:31 AM

1. Plenty of exercise;

2. A shower before bedtime;

3. Reading a good book;

4. Closing the door to the bedroom (with the cat on the other side of the door);

5. Wearing a sleep mask (making the surroundings seem pitch black); and

6. Trazedone.

EventHorizons 09-19-2016 11:22 AM

Hey Carlingford, can you tell me what Mg supp you take and where you get it. If that's against public forum rules can you just PM me?

And lol sobercah, I hadn't thought to add trazadone to my list. :o)

As for the AC on -20F, I do like that as well, but GF limits how low I can go, otherwise she's under 10 blankets at night.