SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   My Cousin drinks but isn't an alcoholic (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/397752-my-cousin-drinks-but-isnt-alcoholic.html)

Joybot 09-18-2016 11:59 AM

My Cousin drinks but isn't an alcoholic

He cracks open a bottle of beer after work each evening. One bottle. No more. No less. He doesn't get wasted. He doesn't try to get wasted. As long as he can have that one bottle. He's good.

Even at BBQ parties, he has always manage to just have one beer the whole entire day, or evening.

He can't remember the last time he got physically drunk. He said it was back in College but those were few and far between.

I know of this because he's my cousin and I've been around him. He's a one beer guy. I don't know how he does it but he said this to me:

"Have you ever tried to drink more than one bottle of Coke?"

And I said "No."

"Exactly."

ScottFromWI 09-18-2016 12:06 PM

Yep, it doesn't make sense to us, just as most people can't understand why we can't drink "just one"

MIRecovery 09-18-2016 12:25 PM

Went out to dinner yesterday and my wife didn't finish her wine. I told her anyone who left alcohol on the table is guilty of alcohol abuse. She laughed and said that is why you have a problem and I don't

JeffreyAK 09-18-2016 12:44 PM

Yeah, as it turns out *most* people are like that, they can take it or leave it. But most of us never have been, so we can't understand. :)

FBL 09-18-2016 12:51 PM

Know what I used to call the first 10 beers? A good start:)

Lightning Bug 09-18-2016 12:57 PM

My husband can make one beer last an hour, sometimes two. I never understood that.

BrendaChenowyth 09-18-2016 02:22 PM

You notice this and it makes you feel jealous and bitter, no? I totally feel you on this... My best friend tells a story of once being at a party when "suddenly" all his friends stopped drinking. He asked them why and they said they were all out of mixers, so they stopped drinking, they could not make any more drinks. My friend was not just baffled but pissed off because he couldn't understand why, HOW, they could just be done drinking when there was still plenty of alcohol left. And I completely get that, because I am an alcoholic. I will never understand just having one drink or having any sort of a voluntary stopping point. And I HATE IT that other people can effortlessly handle something that just runs me...

Gottalife 09-18-2016 05:15 PM

"...easily able to control his desire for alcohol, the only effort necessary being that required to follow a few simple rules." Doctor's opinion.

" We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it." 10 step promises.

Both these quotes are true in my experience. Staying sober is almost effortless as it never occurs to me to drink. I have this whole new attitude, and it came as the result of working those steps, not with skill, but with honesty and an open mind.

Joybot 09-19-2016 12:09 AM

I once saw a man dropped a bottle of Jack Daniel as he was wrestling to open his door.

It was like a nuclear explosion.

dox 09-19-2016 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover (Post 6140514)

A good start. LOL

That's what I call the first ten years!

But, I know what y'all are on about.

My wife has one or two bottles of beer a month.

Sometimes she doesn't finish a 12 ounce bottle.

Doesn't make me angry or jealous.

Makes for a cheap night out . . .

nowadays.

Mountainmanbob 09-19-2016 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Joybot (Post 6140453)

Even at BBQ parties, he has always manage to just have one beer the whole entire day, or evening.

Sounds just like my wife.
One glass will do for her.
Don't we still, find it rather amazing ?

M-Bob

BlissWithin 09-19-2016 04:49 PM

A curious thing I remember from my drinking days is that I never got to get a beer go warm in my hands.

MelindaFlowers 09-19-2016 11:19 PM

Your cousin is like 98% of the people I know.

I went to a Halloween party (after sobriety) and there were 12 beers (total, in the house) for eight people. There was one beer left when everyone went home.

Boleo 09-20-2016 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover (Post 6140514)

Know what I used to call the 3 most important things in life?

Beer... and a couple of other piddley-assed things that you don't need to worry about if you have enough beer.
:lmao