Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else every experienced this after binge drinking

Notices

Old 09-18-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For weeks on ends.

When you stop drinking for the first two or three nights, these things happened:

1. You cannot sleep. You keep waking up what seems like every 30 seconds/1 minute. When you arrive at a point of actual sleep, you just jolt back up awake and this goes on throughout the night and morning until finally at 6 or 7 A.M., you're able to get some rest.

2. You have really terrifying nightmares.

3. On day two or day three, you start to wake up gasping for air.

After Day 4 and 5, you feel better and nothing else happen.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, those can certainly be common symptoms of withdrawal. They generally get worse each time too. Eventually they can become dangerous or even life-threatening. While somewhat rare, seizures, strokes and cardiac arrest are also severe complications of withdrawals.

The good thing is that all withdrawal symptoms are 100 percent avoidable....you actually get to choose if you have them again or not.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joybot View Post
For weeks on ends.

When you stop drinking for the first two or three nights, these things happened:

1. You cannot sleep. You keep waking up what seems like every 30 seconds/1 minute. When you arrive at a point of actual sleep, you just jolt back up awake and this goes on throughout the night and morning until finally at 6 or 7 A.M., you're able to get some rest.

Oh my goodness, yes. I would even wake up to see things that were not there... one time there was a deranged old lady in the corner wielding my bandage scissors and about to pounce on me!

Ugh. Thanks for the reminder, not going back to that nonsense.

Hallucinations are a symptom of alcohol withdrawal, for sure. You're not crazy.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Oh my goodness, yes. I would even wake up to see things that were not there... one time there was a deranged old lady in the corner wielding my bandage scissors and about to pounce on me!

I suffered from sleep apnea when I was drinking you may wish to quit drinking because a multitude of health problems disappeared when I stopped poisoning myself including sleep apnea
Old 09-18-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Yep. Sounds familiar. I haven't had to deal with any of that crap for the past 7+ years and I couldn't be happier
Old 09-18-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I tried to quit a few months ago, and the hallucinations were crazy. Two nights in a row I saw some very odd things... More than once I was startled awake to see some cartoonish character approaching me. The weirdest part was when I would hear voices, and music playing. One day at work I even asked somebody if they heard that song playing. Talk about awkward. Haha. Unfortunately I turned to drinking again, but now I'm one month sober. No withdrawal symptoms this time.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a month, too. Was on the phone with a friend in recovery today, and we talked about the "pink bubble" or whatever you want to call it.. the honeymoon phase when you first quit and you feel utterly fantastic. Because the other shoe is gonna drop eventually.. Anyway...
Old 09-18-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have a month, too. Was on the phone with a friend in recovery today, and we talked about the "pink bubble" or whatever you want to call it.. the honeymoon phase when you first quit and you feel utterly fantastic. Because the other shoe is gonna drop eventually.. Anyway...
Congratulations on one month!!!

I've been having that same thought recently. At the moment it seems too good to be true.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back again Joybot
When did you stop drinking?

D
Old 09-18-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AJJ510127 View Post
Congratulations on one month!!!

I've been having that same thought recently. At the moment it seems too good to be true.
It's good to be aware that we are going to have days when things are very, very hard, and start anticipating and making an action plan for that, because we know we CAN stay sober no matter what happens to us.

I feel like I shouldn't say that in here almost... but why kid ourselves. The withdrawal mess does pass. Other things won't pass as quickly.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Personally I've never had that but everyone withdrawals differently.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by Joybot View Post
For weeks on ends.

Every single time I quit cold turkey! The first 3 days were sleepless, and when I did sleep I had nightmares.

That's why I tapered the last 5 days before I went sober. Took some discipline, buy way less pain and suffering!
Old 09-18-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder. Crap. All of it. I sleep like a baby and wake up well rested. No morning anxiety attacks. No retching in the shower.

You can leave it all behind you.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
Thanks for the reminder. Crap. All of it. I sleep like a baby and wake up well rested. No morning anxiety attacks. No retching in the shower.

You can leave it all behind you.
^^^^ this reminded me: I can actually take a legit nap on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon for maybe an hour. Instead of passing out by 2pm and waking up at 3am feeling like absolute death!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Usually I had a massive anxiety along with depression, fortunately the depression stopped after a couple days.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Numbers 1 & 2 yes, but not number 3. However, 1& 2 were bad enough. Thankfully, it passed after a couple of days.

I never want to experience it again.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Good to see you back again Joybot
When did you stop drinking?

D
It was a family intervention. I was going through this never ending loop of Heavy drinking night after night after night. I'm so glad I am on the other side of it now. I can't imagine just being such a total wreck anymore. Besides, I would never give up feeling wonderful. I am back to love being healthy. It was November 2011 (The day I register) is when I was overtaken by something that entered my body and has consumed me from within for five years.

Roughly about a year now.

Alcoholism doesn't care if you're Ernest Hemingway or Joe Blow from down the street. It will eat you alive if you let it.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I would get nightmares when withdrawing, I usually only have nightmares very rarely. I would experience a kind of semi-conscious sleep where I would perceive being awake and experiencing something or someone in the room attacking me (for example a dog biting my face, something other uncomfortable). I would think this real but it would a very 'real' bad dream. I would hear things too, bad voices in my head, in this semi-conscious state. Difficult to describe but very unpleasant.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Almost every time, and throw on top of that crazy sweating, anxiety, sometimes the shakes, it's no fun, that's for sure.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Matt M

100% yes.

When withdrawing I get that for about three days.
I've had withdrawal seizures in the past tho, so my withdrawals are about ten times worse than they used to be.