Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Loneliness, and Rejection Threatens to Spawn a Relapse

Notices

Loneliness, and Rejection Threatens to Spawn a Relapse

Old 09-15-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Sue

D
Old 09-16-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I might try AA if there was a meeting remotely nearby. Hazard of living in the boonies, I guess.

I'm home from work for the night, so now the real test begins. I'm about to dive back into The Witcher 3, since it keeps me pretty well engaged. I'm tempted, but I recognize it as self-sabotage, and am kicking it away.

I've promised myself that I'll pop up in here again if I feel myself gravitating toward booze.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like a good plan to me. Someone is always here on SR and there is a live chat room too if you have the urge for some real-time conversation.

If you are considering AA and you don't have a way to get to an in-person meeting tonight there are online AA meetings - just google AA online and you'll find several. Some even use audio/video chat platforms so you can see and hear each other.

Reading the big book online is a great exercise too, it's free and even if you never plan on going to an AA meeting in your life there is plenty of good information in it.

Lots of podcasts out there on addiction as well, and we have a book thread here as well.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Alright shadow the weekend is here. What's your plan to stay sober today. Today only. I don't care about tomorrow. I want to know about today. What's your plan?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
Alright shadow the weekend is here. What's your plan to stay sober today. Today only. I don't care about tomorrow. I want to know about today. What's your plan?
I haven't eaten anything yet today, so I'm going to go make a late breakfast. Then I'm planning to either play around with some software I'd like to learn, play a video game, and maybe watch a movie or two, or binge watch a TV show.

I made it through last night. I can make it through today.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeekendShadow View Post
I haven't eaten anything yet today, so I'm going to go make a late breakfast. Then I'm planning to either play around with some software I'd like to learn, play a video game, and maybe watch a movie or two, or binge watch a TV show.

I made it through last night. I can make it through today.
Great attitude!!!! Yeah, staying busy is very important, especially in early sobriety. Staying distracted is very important. The important thing to remember is that those cravings are short-term. Try to eat something. Do you have anything sweet to eat or drink? For some reason, eating and drinking something sweet seemed to make a difference for me. Have a great Saturday! John
Old 09-17-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Getting a Little Harder

Took a nap, still feel sluggish and foggy-headed. From what I've read this is more or less to be expected. My last drink was sometime very early Tuesday morning, and now it's Saturday... So realistically, that makes this my fourth full day sober.

If I can get through it.

The loneliness is crowding in on me a bit, the sense that I'm the last person left on the planet, nobody cares about me, etc. That voice that says "to hell with it, you know you're going to kill yourself anyway, might as well get sozzled" gets louder when that happens.

I'm determined not to give it a foothold... but wavering ever so slightly. Hence this post.

Making a sandwich and diving back into my game, I think. Anything that keeps me from getting in the car and going to buy booze.

I'm very thankful for this site right now. I could've written notes to myself, but that never appealed to me, because it underscored the loneliness. Maybe setting it down here will help me push through and keep the promise my past self made, and that my future self will be bummed out about if I break it. :/
Old 09-17-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Catch 22

I am also new in recovery and battle a lot. All I can say try and keep things simple. Don't drink and let the rest just happen.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Try to look at it this way. Every time you post your connecting with people all around the world. So in a way, your not alone. I know this isn't the same as having people you can hang around with, but it's a start. You know drinking will just keep you isolated with virtually no chance of making real connections with people. Stick with your plan and don't give in to the negative thinking, and things will get better. You can do this. John
Old 09-17-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Stay strong shadow! I'll be doing the same thing with Fallout 4 tonight! Good luck!!!
Old 09-17-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Heh. Stayed up way too late playing. This game is pretty excellent... and frigging huge. I'm going to lean on it heavily, I think.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I was just thinking about the title of this thread. For me, lonliness and rejection spawned recovery. Ain't that a turn up for the books?
Old 09-18-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

God was the only thing that could alleviate the loneliness I had been trying to numb with alcohol. It's not for everyone, I know, and it wasn't for me, for years... until it was...
Old 09-18-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 5 proceeds apace. Hanging in there so far.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

There's been a war raging in my abdomen for much of the day, and now I've got a stitch in my right side, around my ribs. But I'm sober. Making progress.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better soon. John
Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi John,

Glad you are here, and glad you have stayed sober the past few days.