Notices

Big Life Changes Support Group Part 3

Old 09-28-2016, 12:23 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

IMG_0729.JPG
Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

I want to share a little tool or approach that's been helpful for me lately. It's a little system to identify cues, behaviors, and patterns, with the goal of reworking a bad habit.

Here are the categories:
Emotional state
Other people
Immediately preceding action

You keep a journal, writing these down when you feel the urge to do your bad habit.

In my journal, I have a log of these for mine. I just write them in blocks going down the page.

Here's an example:
Location (sitting at desk)
Time (3:36 p.m.)
Emotional state (anxious, bored)
Other people around (no one)
Immediately preceding action (checking email)

You then begin to look for emerging patterns across categories. For me, personally, I've noticed patterns only in emotional state and immediately preceding action. There were will be strong emotions I'm feeling and it's typically when I'm checking emails. I noticed I would check emails AFTER I experienced these feelings, probably in an effort to avoid feeling them.

So now, the journaling has replaced the email checking as well as the habit. And eventually, I won't need to journal it anymore. Actually, I've stopped journaling and am now just feeling the feelings. But I am staying cautious so as not to replace with another action that becomes a habit.

Basically, it's just changing habits. Replacing a bad one with a more acceptable or good one. However you want to see it really. And it's working well. Thought I'd share.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

I'm concerned about copyright and trademark issues with the puppetry on YouTube. I'm looking at puppets and thinking that before I do anything at all, legally, I might need to go the route of getting custom puppets made, because what if I use a mass produced puppet? If I put this up on YouTube, there might be issues at some point. I don't see anything addressing this on Nolo. Does anyone know about using Avvo.com?

I guess I should make a phone call to an attorney?
Old 09-28-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Three IP attorneys responded to my query on Avvo. They all say I need to discuss details with an IP attorney. They believe I will be safe as long as I use generic puppets. They think I still ought to consult with an intellectual property attorney before I start.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Wow, so complex--and no doubt expensive!
Old 09-28-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Nah, well ... not expensive, yet. The complexity is only that there's IP to be protected in all directions ... the rights of the producer of the puppet brand I use, my own rights, and if I use a custom designed puppet, then that designer's rights as well.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Those sorts of issues are only expensive for people who have lots of money to lose - i am a repeat offender when it comes to breaches of copywrite. It usually involves a legal letter followed by an apology from me (until the next time)

Albert Camus lead a real life as well as being an intellectual. He played international football (soccer) - Algeria or Tunisia I think.

The car that he died in is called a Facel Vega. They are extrordinary cars. Available Gardner had one when she lived in London

Last edited by saoutchik; 09-28-2016 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Autocarrot
Old 09-28-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Wow! How interesting about Camus!
Old 09-28-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good grief! Auto correct has declared war on me "Available Gardner" should read Ava Gardner. Sometimes I really loathe smartphones.

I reckon France must be the only country in the world were you can write "intellectual" in that space on the passport reserved for Occupation

Here is a Facel - an HK500 -"probably the apogee of European Grand Tourer styling in the 1950s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20160928_211357.jpg (25.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 09-28-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

I knew you meant Ava

The book I've been reading shares details about that car, and the wreck, and the trip they were on, as well as the manuscript he was carrying in his briefcase. It all really is interesting.

I found his mother interesting, too. She was mostly mute and illiterate, and sat facing and staring out a window much of the time. Really tragic. It also claimed or maybe quoted him saying how much (the entirety) of his writing was written for his mother.

He never knew his father; he died when Camus was around a year old.

It states women would flock to Camus. I am not exactly sure why, but he had a certain charisma.

And one odd thing -- he drove slowly because he was afraid of going too fast in a car.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Big life changes I hate being 65... really Kids...

funny these are to be the golden years... prayed hoped and watched for the last 10 years that my Hubby would be off the meds and be better little by little ... so kids here is the new what for.. called home on Monday at lunch to see how he was doing with the grass in the yard and the weeds. we have a mower and a spreader for grass stuff. and he has had such fun with it.... to hear a voice on the phone that was lost... I fell I could not find my phone... rushed home he had fallen from the 8 foot ladder.. in ER from 12:54 to 9:30pm they did a ton of stuff. for his neck shoulder and back and then for bleeding brain.... kids and beans they kept patting me

no broken bones Ardy he does not have anything broken.. but you know what I can read a hospital face in a heart beat... he was with our family Doc today.. they want to do test on his brain.. they feel as I do if he is passing out.. if the head aches are something to watch.. if the mood swings ... if kids I live in so many IFs.. sad... I love my Eddie Lee so much... don't know what I would do if I had not found all of you.... please say some prayers for us...

for my inner child watches his inner child and I know that our time here for him is not as long as mine.... Drugs Drinking and living on a short candle ... babes in my heart it will rob you of time you really want with that special person..... and there is no going back...

Love Ardy... forever and a day and 20 years more my Eddie Lee....
Old 09-28-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jennie, it makes sense to do the homework on the puppets before you start investing a lot of time and money into the project. It could make things much simpler from the start and you would feel you had protected yourselves.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Ardy, I do hope your husband is ok. And that you are, too.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

I'll be praying for you and Ed, Ardy.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Love to you J. ♥

ardy dear, that must have been so frightening. Sending prayers for you and Ed.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Sao, I thought you were making a serious comment about Ava Gardner's extracurricular activities!

I really hate posting from my phone; I'm forever fat fingering--and because of autocorrect, I end up spouting even more nonsense than the norm.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ardy, prayers for you and your husband.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ardy, I am sorry to hear about Ed, I really hope he gets better soon, good luck

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Sao, I thought you were making a serious comment about Ava Gardner's extracurricular activities!

I really hate posting from my phone; I'm forever fat fingering--and because of autocorrect, I end up spouting even more nonsense than the norm.
LOL! I did hear that she cheated on Ole Blue Eyes, usually it was him doing the cheating so she must have been quite a girl

Jen, I did not know he didn't like driving fast. I have a vague recollection that he was a passenger and it was his publishers car that crashed but I may be wrong (too lazy to Google it)
Old 09-29-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ardy
Old 09-30-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

I hesitated going forward with the puppets, only because I felt that it might not be necessary. Well, it isn't. But if it facilitates my writing, it would be silly not to do it. As of right now, I don't expect the puppet show to be the end result, so I am not too worried about the legal side of things, especially if I don't upload to YouTube. I will make videos to refer back to if needed. But I believe that once I do a performance with them, it will be all that's necessary for me to 'log' that away in the brain for reference later, if that makes sense.

Ok, so I have three puppets ordered. Right now, I'm just going to focus on the three dominant animals -- parrot, hippopotamus, and goat. Might not even need the others.

Also ordered a thing that will attach my iPad to my standard camera tripod. There are some apps that might help with filming. Again, might not even edit or need to edit.

I see the puppet performance as more of a 'first draft.'