Notices

Nalmefene/Selincro - scared!!!

Old 09-09-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nalmefene/Selincro - scared!!!

Hello,
so I drink a bottle of wine every night. Mostly due to boredom but I'm finding it very hard to break the routine. Although I don't experience physical side effects when I don't drink I find I have a strong psychological addiction to wine.
So I bought some Nalmefene to help me break the routine and develop a healthier evening routine. But since purchasing the medication I've read horrible stories of side effects. I'm very scared of these! Also read that you may not be able to drive the next day - which I definitely need to do for my job. Can anyone give me some advice/insight? It would be greatly appreciated!
Also I know that there's no magic pill I hope that if I'm able to break my routine of drinking EVERY night it will give me the time to form healthier routines which will include working on the root cause of my alcoholism. At the moment drinking wine takes up all of my free time. I wake up, go to work, drink then go to sleep! Thank you,
Old 09-09-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does your doctor know you're planning to start this medication?
Old 09-09-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The doctor says as long as you stick with it it can help (in conjunction with therapeutic interventions) but the problem is making sure you stick with it! I'm guessing the reason people don't stick with the medication is because the side effects are so bad -any experience with them?
Old 09-09-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Did your doctor prescribe this medicine? I wouldn't be taking something I knew little about.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maz - welcome back

I know you just want experience but sometimes what was OK for someone else may not be right for you and vice versa.

If you didn't go through a Dr I think it's wise to do that.

I know the NHS can be difficult to negotiate but that doesn't change the fact professional medical advice is the way to go, especially if you're on other meds or have other health problems. Not everything is suitable for everyone.

If it was prescribed for you, I'd check with the prescribing physician and explain your fear.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry!!! I read some previous posts and didn't realise that this site was opposed to medications etc. I have a tremendous amount of respect for folks on this site and didn't mean to cause any offence! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think the issue is medication itself, but we're not allowed to ask for/provide medical advice. I don't think this medication is available outside of Europe? So there wouldn't be much the North American contingent could offer, anyway.

Hope you'll stick around anyway!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by maz36 View Post
Sorry!!! I read some previous posts and didn't realise that this site was opposed to medications etc. I have a tremendous amount of respect for folks on this site and didn't mean to cause any offence! Keep up the good work!
SR is not "against" medication at all, the forum rules simply don't allow for medical advice to be given for the safety of all forum members. Many people here take meds but in accordance with their doctor or therapists recommendations. Meds can and do help a lot of people when used appropriately.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No withdrawal is a good start. Buy alcohol-free wine if it's not financially stressful. Just an option.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maz - as others have said we're not against medication at all

We can't recommend things. but we can share our experience for sure...

as i said before though thats problematic cos there's no guarantee you'll react the same way as someone else.

I think discussing your fears with your Dr is a better call than goggling up Selincro horror stories or asking members here if they've tried it?