SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Day 365!!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/397296-day-365-a.html)

MrSmith 09-08-2016 06:57 PM

Day 365!!!

1 year today. I have 365 days.
I sit here excited and amazed, like others who have posted here before, I never thought that there was any way that I could do this. As my drinking progressed, I had totally convinced myself that I was in control, that I didn't have a problem, and that I was choosing to drink each and every day because I wanted to, not because I was addicted.
Then, for the 3 millionth time, I hit rock bottom in my marriage, with my kids, and in my life. I realized (for some reason) that this time, enough was enough. I was tired of waking up each morning with a sick feeling in my stomach. I hated that the first thing I thought when I opened my eyes in the morning was "did I mess up last night?" Did I say something horrible to my wife? At times, I would wake up and my adrenal glands would empty because I just couldn't remember. Even if I hadn't done anything wrong, I wasn't sure. I would say something to my wife to try to gauge her mood without letting her know that I didn't remember or really know what happened in an effort to see if she was upset with me.
Every morning, I would have that conversation where I would say unequivocally to myself that I knew that I wasn't going to drink "that much" today. But, of course, I would - again and again.
Just like many of you, the first few weeks were difficult. I had all of the symptoms you would expect as my brain and body got used to the fact that my brain wasn't being marinated with Vodka anymore on a daily basis. I remember the moment that I first noticed the sky, and how everything around me seemed so bright and colorful and new.
I also remember having moments where I felt really sad. Like a good friend had died or like my girlfriend in high school had broken up with me. I was mourning the loss of my daily pint of vodka. I would get sad because I knew I could never have another drink again. How crazy is that? I remember crazy insomnia, the weird dreams, and the feelings of total embarrassment and regret as I fully embraced how crazy stupid I had been. I remember just having an overwhelming feeling of despair, even though I knew without a doubt that drinking was the source of 99.9% of all of my marital problems, I still missed it.
I would have moments of intense craving that I would just have to endure. I would also have to feel. Feel real emotions that I could do nothing about but just sit with and fully know. It was a crazy time.
Slowly, though, the clouds lifted, the cravings subsided, and I could go to sleep without any sleeping pills. My relationship with my wife started to heal and grow again. We would laugh together, sit and talk at dinner, and I would actually hear her. She had many moments where she would get afraid that I had slipped. If I deviated from my normal schedule in any way by stopping at the grocery store on the way home, or if I stopped to get my oil changed in my car where I would normally come straight home, she would call all panicked and convinced that I had messed up my sobriety. I learned that the best response to her was to simply be very explicit and forthcoming about exactly where I was and what I was doing. I owed her at least that much. I needed to reassure her completely until she was satisfied.
We are back now, high school sweethearts that have beaten the odds.
I have lost 55 pounds - stopped having to take blood pressure medicine, high cholesterol medicine, anti-depressants, and I have stopped having sleep apnea where I had to sleep with a mask on during my drunken stupor sleep. I am a totally new person who now has 1 year!
I normally don't post this much, but today is special and I hope that it will encourage someone else to take that first step or even that 365th step to remain sober. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, there is hope. Thanks for listening. How many days do you have? How is it going for you today?
Now onward and forward towards day 730...

Dee74 09-08-2016 07:18 PM

I'm really chuffed for you Mr Smith - congrats :)

D

Caramel 09-08-2016 07:24 PM

So happy for you, well done! Forward and onward!

ScottFromWI 09-08-2016 07:26 PM

Congrats and thanks for sharing a fantastic story too, it's truly an inspiration for all of us.

Opivotal 09-08-2016 07:28 PM

Congratulations, MrSmith! :c011:

waynetheking 09-08-2016 07:28 PM

Congratulations on 1 year mrsmith. You're well on your way to a new and exciting life without king alcohol. AWESOME job man.

fantail 09-08-2016 07:49 PM

What a wonderful story. Congratulations!

Notimetoloose 09-08-2016 07:52 PM

Congratulations....and a wonderful post, full of amazing benefits...don't ever take your sobriety for granted.

MrSmith 09-08-2016 08:53 PM

Thank you

Thank you everyone.

JD 09-09-2016 04:29 AM

One year is fantastic! Great going and make sure we see your positive post next year. You got this.

Time2Rise 09-09-2016 04:35 AM

Well done Mr Smith. I'm very happy for you.

skipper123 09-09-2016 04:38 AM

Congratulations mr.smith. I hope to make it there one day! I can so relate to waking up wondering what I did the night before and who was mad at me!

least 09-09-2016 04:47 AM

Congrats on the first of many sober years! :scoregood

Soberpotamus 09-09-2016 04:50 AM

Congrats on a YEAR! :)

SomeSortOfHuman 09-09-2016 05:27 AM

Thanks for posting this MrSmith. Massive congratulations!

That "What did I do last night?" feeling really is horrible, although I still get it even 10 days into sobriety... Just habit, I guess - those brain pathways can't re-wire themselves quickly enough! Feeling quite low today, but reading this helped - so thanks again.

Wishing you many more sober days! x

MrSmith 09-09-2016 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SomeSortOfHuman (Post 6127771)
Thanks for posting this MrSmith. Massive congratulations!

That "What did I do last night?" feeling really is horrible, although I still get it even 10 days into sobriety... Just habit, I guess - those brain pathways can't re-wire themselves quickly enough! Feeling quite low today, but reading this helped - so thanks again.

Wishing you many more sober days! x

Thank you SomeSortoHuman, you should know that you too will come to a day where you wakeup and feel excited about your day. The beginning is so very difficult, but it does get better. Remember that your brain is so used to being fed the booze, that it now thinks it's normal for it to be there. So much so, that it will crave it. But just try to remember that it does get better, that there are normal stages to your recovery and we all went through them. I hope today gets better. You 've got this, and it really is worth it....I promise.

Bobbieka 09-09-2016 06:54 AM

Well done, Mr.Smith! That is so exciting!

KAD 09-09-2016 07:14 AM

Excellent job on a year of sobriety! Parts of your story sound identical to mine. Feels great to leave that madness behind, doesn't it? :)

ChloeRose63 09-09-2016 07:18 AM

FANTASTIC!!!!
You are an inspiration!

fini 09-09-2016 07:50 AM

Mister, that's great!