Notices

Fatty liver

Old 09-08-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fatty liver

I've been cutting back on my drinking over the past 18 months or so. The amount that I was down to was almost moderate, maybe 10 drinks over three days in a whole week. I used to drink 5 a day, every day, on average for probably 20 years.

I got a lot of anxiety as I gradually sobered. Most nights a week I wasn't drinking and maybe I was getting clarity about my life but whatever it was the anxiety was bad. I started getting a queasy, nauseous feeling with the anxiety. I started taking Ativan and for the most part it got rid of the nausea but the doc ordered an abdominal ultrasound too. It showed evidence of a fatty liver. All my liver and other blood work was normal. Liver enzymes were low normal. (There was one high reading last year.)

The doc said it could return to normal and to stop drinking entirely and check again in six months. Has anyone been in this situation?
Old 09-08-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Rob32u View Post
Has anyone been in this situation?
What situation is that, Rob? Being told by a doctor to quit drinking? Or being told their liver would return to normal if they quit.

I was told to quit, but not for my liver. I didn't listen. Not being able to quit for my health was one of the things that convinced me I was an alcoholic. But it took other circumstances to get me sober.

Are you going to take your doctors advice?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, in the sense that I had a fatty liver, stopped drinking, watched my diet a bit, and after a checkup - a year later - it had returned to normal.

A fatty liver can be cured, almost always, provided you do stop drinking.

But as already said, also, for me, it wasn't the only motivation to stop, by far. In a way, it was almost a side effect of trying to correct an insufferable lifestyle. But it's a good warning sign, and I think you should consider following your doc's advice.

Good luck, it can be done.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, I don't mind quitting. I was already mentally prepared for that anyway. But rather, experience with fatty liver issues... Do they generally improve the way he said they might?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChiefBromden View Post
Yes, in the sense that I had a fatty liver, stopped drinking, watched my diet a bit, and after a checkup - a year later - it had returned to normal.

A fatty liver can be cured, almost always, provided you do stop drinking.

But as already said, also, for me, it wasn't the only motivation to stop, by far. In a way, it was almost a side effect of trying to correct an insufferable lifestyle. But it's a good warning sign, and I think you should consider following your doc's advice.

Good luck, it can be done.
Thanks!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My neighbor, 36 year old beautiful best friend died in July from hepatic cirrhosis, we had a LOT of fun leading up to her decline. Before she passed I made Dr apt., found my blood work was way over the limits and fatty liver confirmed. So I stopped drinking that day and that was 52 days ago. Already blood counts back into normal range and in general everything is better. I can't bring her back but I can honor her memory by honoring my liver. I'm glad you are here,
Old 09-08-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had similar lab results, but after 6 months of sobriety all liver enzyme levels are normal.

On another note, the anxiety you are feeling is a symptom of withdrawal or detoxification from alcohol. I think it will continue to happen until you completely stop drinking.

Your mind is rebelling against the lack of alcohol...
Old 09-08-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fatty liver is actually pretty common and many people have it even if they don't drink. The good news is it's reversible, on the flip side, it's the first stop towards cirrhosis.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mklove View Post
My neighbor, 36 year old beautiful best friend died in July from hepatic cirrhosis, we had a LOT of fun leading up to her decline. Before she passed I made Dr apt., found my blood work was way over the limits and fatty liver confirmed. So I stopped drinking that day and that was 52 days ago. Already blood counts back into normal range and in general everything is better. I can't bring her back but I can honor her memory by honoring my liver. I'm glad you are here,
Thanks. So sorry about your friend.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Has anyone with fatty liver felt the nausea feeling I described.? Ativan seems to eliminate it but I worry there might be something physical too.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You really should be talking with your doctor about this Rob. Comparing symptoms with others really won't give you a good idea of what's going on in your body. Nausea can be a symptom of just about anything with both physical and psychological causes.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The nausea is also a symptom of detoxing, but ScottFromWi is correct in saying that you should talk to your doc.

I would say that the best way to get rid of all of those symptoms is to stop drinking and let your liver and your mind heal. I know it's not easy, but the first step is not drinking today. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

An update...

Since I posted above, I have had an endoscopy, an abdominal MRI, and another ultrasound of the liver to check blood flow. The MRI was normal, including the liver, which is weird considering the first ultrasound said fatty liver. The blood flow liver ultrasound was also normal. So it sounds like the liver isn't too bad.

The endoscopy revealed gastropathy in lower stomach, basically an erosive inflammation. Probably caused by NSAIDS, alcohol, and or anxiety. I'm on prescription Pepcid to heal it. The nausea I had seems to be getting a bit less frequent.

So I now know there was a physical component to the nausea, not just anxiety. And alcohol may have been a cause. And maybe the nausea was even causing the anxiety, I don't know. But today is 30 days without a drink for me. It's probably been almost 30 years since I've gone that long.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 30 days Rob

I know one thing for sure...not drinking is definitely better for your health - both mental and physical
Old 10-04-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob32u View Post

The doc said it could return to normal and to stop drinking entirely and check again in six months. Has anyone been in this situation?
Over the years I have had a few friends in that situation (as shared a few times on this site).
It's nothing to play with -- listen to your doctors advice.
MB
Old 10-04-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sober style

Great news, Rob. Hope you stay quit!