Notices

Genetics

Old 09-05-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Genetics

Hey everyone, I have a pretty basic question ...
I haven't ever gotten drunk and I stay away from alcohol. I have had some of it though (not a lot and only on several occasions that can be counted on my fingers). Never went to a college party too, for example, because I'm not interested in seeing the certain types of visuals that will occur, plus it's a loud and obnoxious environment.

Yesterday I saw wine bottle in the refrigerator. Something overcame me and I had a big compulsion to drink it by myself, and had this compulsion for three hours. After I woke up today I started to think about it again. In a related note, several months ago for several weeks I had the desire to drink sake. That's because months before I had a little bit of sake enough to make me a tad silly (but the silliness went away in less than an hour and I was fine). I thought about it a lot.

Why? I think (not sure) a close family member of mine had alcoholism but they fought it before I was born and so they never drank alcohol ever again. So I feel as if this is genetic for me. That's why I stay away...
but I'm not sure where the compulsion came from, it might be it's just 'novelty' or 'interest', but I don't derive pleasure from it, nor see any attraction in it. I might be concerned for a foolish reason, or not.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The most credible explanation I have heard is that alcohlism is both genetic and environmental. In other words you could be born with the gene, but it would take some environmental factor (trauma, drunk parent) to turn it on. This explains why alcoholism can run in families but skip a generation, and why not veryone in such a family would necessarily be affected.

In respect of the different stages of the illness, it was explained to me that alcohohl use disorder has a very long tail. Nearly all sufferers will spot the pattern and straighten out before the situation becomes hopeless.

Even in AA , the big book speculates that many of us could have quit on our own power has we done so early enough, though it adds that few of us would have been motivated to do so.

At the end of the tail is a small group of medically hopeless alcoholics for whom there seems no solution. I was one such.

You seem to be in a position where you could chose to stick with your long term strategy of avoiding alcohol. Given what you described, it would seem a wise course and should keep you safe with out any real inconvenience at all. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Might be the attraction to novelty, sure. It started out that way for me. I was 15.

Given what you know about your family history, and your self-described 'compulsion' to drink that bottle, it would be wise to consider all options, one of which is to redirect your novelty-seeking impulses elsewhere ... how about try an activity that interests you? Or travel somewhere?

You are so wise to consider your options from many angles.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hard to say for sure, even those of us that drank for decades and fully accept our addiction aren't sure what cause is or "why" we are alcoholics.

I think it's great that you are cognizant of it though and wary of the possible downfall of alcohol.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i took my 1st drink at(i think) 13. i wasnt a full blown alcoholic right then and only drank maybe every other week(-not that there was anything acceptable about a 13 year old drinking.
the one thing that stuck with me after the 1st drink i remember taking- the feeling it produced.i liked how alcohol took everything away and made me feel good.
BUT
i didnt face that "everything" that alcohol took away. eventually i couldnt stop at feeling good.
i crossed the line into alcoholism.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Genetics do play a part, but that doesn't mean you will become an alcoholic. There are plenty of wine/beer connoisseurs in the world that love booze, but for the flavor, and not to get drunk. Alcoholics on the other hand have only one goal, and that is to get trashed.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I rarely say this, but I would be very careful if I were you. It sounds to me like you have a compulsion to drink, and that's the worst. I had it. Never physically addicted, but strong mental compulsion. Fixation. Associating drinking with various pleasurable situations.. people, places and things.. like romance, exotic places, etc. Boy did I have that.

As far as running in families, I personally believe environmental factors play the biggest role. The 'gene' is really nothing more than being born an emotionally sensitive or high anxiety individual. But add in the trauma, chaos and general dysfunction typically found in families with addiction, and those types will typically seek relief in the same manner they saw modeled by their parents. The first few drinks bring such relief.. but we know how that goes.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

The phenomenon of novelty is universal. Yet not everyone is drawn to alcohol or drinking to satisfy their curiosity.

Most people who are new here don't tell the full story in their first post or first few posts, and I don't think that they should feel a need to. It's a matter of building trust until there's a time when each of us feels comfortable enough to add details that we may have left out at the start. I'm not saying that we're liars when we do this, only that it's a natural reaction when engaging a group that discusses very personal and very complicated thoughts, feelings and behaviors. Same thing happens when we meet someone new who may become a friend.

You've commented on a couple of compulsions around drinking and, from what you wrote, it seems that avoiding alcohol for you is effortful. Neither of these things means you have a problem with alcohol, but both are common to people who do. It also sounds as though there may be other reasons why you avoid activities that involve drinking and other people, juxtaposed against the times you experienced a compulsion to drink when you were alone.

Yes, there is a genetic influence for addictions and, as Gottalife commented, there are other factors involved as well, such as environmental influences, temperament (also influenced by genetics), psychological traits (such as susceptibility to anxiety and depression), life events, and much more.

Tell us more about yourself, if you're comfortable doing so.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Genetic and environmental as another poster said. My biological father and grandfather were both alcoholics and it killed them. Have several other big drinkers in my family. I grew up with alcohol too, it was usually around in family settings and I began drinking socially with friends around age 13. My own alcoholism was building up throughout adolescence before it became more problematic in my early 20s and forward. I'm 34.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
The most credible explanation I have heard is that alcohlism is both genetic and environmental. In other words you could be born with the gene, but it would take some environmental factor (trauma, drunk parent) to turn it on. This explains why alcoholism can run in families but skip a generation, and why not veryone in such a family would necessarily be affected.

In respect of the different stages of the illness, it was explained to me that alcohohl use disorder has a very long tail. Nearly all sufferers will spot the pattern and straighten out before the situation becomes hopeless.

Even in AA , the big book speculates that many of us could have quit on our own power has we done so early enough, though it adds that few of us would have been motivated to do so.

At the end of the tail is a small group of medically hopeless alcoholics for whom there seems no solution. I was one such.

You seem to be in a position where you could chose to stick with your long term strategy of avoiding alcohol. Given what you described, it would seem a wise course and should keep you safe with out any real inconvenience at all. Good luck.
Agree with a lot of this. The BB specifically talks about a type of heavy drinker who is not, in fact, an alcoholic. Many of us "real alcoholics" (p 417) tried this practice for a long time before we accepted that we were truly in the alcoholic camp.

I look back and see where both genetics and environmental factors played a part in my alcoholism. My mother is an alcoholic and it does in fact run strongly on her side of the family. I am an alcoholic; my brother is - for now- a heavy drinker. We do worry about him. I hope his life will not unravel because of his choices, as mine did. It's often a dangerous combination when you have both of these elements in play.

I'd say your historical practice of abstinence is an excellent way to go. There is truly NOTHING better when drinking, for an alcoholic in recovery - normal people are already experiencing the better side of life. IMO, being aware of your situation and of the possible risks you face is smart. Stay on the best side of life.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I believe it is both environment and genetics as well. I come from a long line of alcoholics, and for years could drink socially and then leave it alone. I figured, too, that since I KNEW I could be predisposed and have seen so much of it, that I wouldn't "let" it happen, or just maybe that it wouldn't....until it did. The wheels coming off was swift and maintained in my head that I could be different. I wasn't.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't know why you're recently become interested in alcohol, but certainly genetics is a factor in alcoholism. Seems to be a factor in about half the cases, https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-he...-use-disorders, but the other half doesn't have a genetic history. I think all that can be said is, a family history of alcoholism increases the risk that drinking will lead to addiction, but certainly doesn't guarantee it.

My mother's family has some history of alcoholism, but my mom (dad too) was a teetotaler. I never asked, and both are long gone, but I wonder now if mom didn't ever drink because of that history. Your genes are what they are, but the one absolutely vital ingredient in alcohol addiction is drinking lots of alcohol, so not drinking at all guarantees that you can't ever become an addict. That's sort of the philosophy of most of us who used to be addicts - the way out is total abstinence.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you
Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

unless alcoholism has affected your immediate family mom, dad or sibling I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill, have a drink and don't make a big deal about it if you don't like it be done with it and if you like it and can drink moderately well have a drink for me