Notices

Terminal Uniqueness

Old 09-05-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Terminal Uniqueness

One thing of which I have become increasingly aware in sobriety is my connection with the rest of the human race. Terminal uniqueness, for me, extended far beyond the experience of alcohol addiction alone. Even though, for years, I did put more focus on the differences rather than the similarities between my addiction and that of others, I also believed I had an edge on my awareness of existence, in general, and that my perceptions and life experiences were outside the realm of what others could understand or that I could even explain or describe. I may still fall far short of doing that effectively, but I have noticed more recently that my awareness has expanded to embrace my fellow travelers through life. I know we all do still have our various quirks, likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses, outside influences beyond our control, our own individual conceptions and perceptions of the meaning of life, and every nuanced behavior as expressions of that. But now when I look at other people, I feel a stronger bond with them because I recognize that we're ultimately all here for the same reasons. None of us chose to be born, and none of us can say with absolute certainty why we are here, why any of "this" is here, but most of us would fight to the death to stay. We value above all the experience of life. It has given me a new appreciation for life, and for the lives of others, and has opened my eyes and ears to what others have to share and what I might be able to share in return. It's a bond of implied kinship. As Martha Stewart would say, "It's a good thing."
Old 09-05-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great observation GMO. I found that my addiction was very selfish in almost all areas of my life. Working on that has been key in my recovery, and it takes a long time to re-learn correctly. It's a work in progress too!
Old 09-05-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post. I found travel really opened my eyes. Living overseas in a developing country even more so. We're all the same. Seeking happiness, security, a future for our children, and some form of fulfillment. We all have burdens and struggles, but some, and often it's the poorest among us, toil with such grace. Yes, I have been very selfish also. After seeing what I have, I realize I have no reason to complain.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

If the world and the people in it existed in the way that I'd want them to be, everyone would be unhappy. And I don't have time for all the complaining.

The major reason why we can differentiate ourselves and other people from everyone else, in any meaningful way and in any area of life, is precisely because we are all much more alike than otherwise. And if one person can accomplish something, then so can someone else.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep. Very important for us to understand this and shift our thinking.

I remember the first time I heard someone say "you're not a special snowflake." I didn't quite know how to take it, in a recovery frame of mind, but working through the understanding of my place in the world along with everyone else's has been huge in my progress.

Good post.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i'm unique just like everyone else