Notices

Today was a rough one!!

Old 09-03-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Today was a rough one!!

Boy did I have cravings this afternoon!! I tried every "head trick" in the book, too. Finally realized I was simply hungry. I was active most all day and hardly ate. So I went to the store and bought some mixed nuts and dark chocolate. That always helped.

Lesson learned.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, and I stopped at Wendy's and got a big greasy double cheeseburger!!

Crisis avoided!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did the same thing today, double cheese burger
Old 09-03-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

I've got a Double Deluxe burger at Culver's penciled in for tomorrow, always good for what ails ya.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent job getting through the cravings! And this thread is starting to make me hungry!! Might need to put a "double bacon" something on my list for tomorrow as well.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a much more delicious treat, way to go steve.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Nice work and good lesson learned for sure Steve! I used to drink many of my meals, amazing how much better real food makes you feel!
Old 09-03-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Someone in AA told me once that alcohol has a lot of sugar in it. When we crave it sometimes our bodies are just craving the sugar that we are missing from drinking. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've found ice cream really helps, lol!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you tried urge surfing and breathing exercises? When simple halt doesn't cut it for me those practices have really helped me.
Good job on not caving!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done. HALT (Hunger-Angry-Lonely-Tired ) has been very important to my recovery. Both in the early weeks / months when the cravings and compulsion was strong, when any of those things could trigger me and easily have led me to drinking. But also now, while I still have my alcoholic thinking to work on if I'm going to remain comfortable in sobriety. Last night was one of the times when 2 of those HALT triggers were rattling away, and I needed to work my program hard to find acceptance and regain some serenity (enough so I'd get a good night's sleep anyway).

Please continue to be watchful of all those triggers. If there is nothing else in your daily plan, at least have routine strategies in place that will protect you from those four things.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
HALT (Hunger-Angry-Lonely-Tired )
I never took that seriously until yesterday! I was pretty much active all day with cooking and some garden work. Then relaxed and started to watch a good (I hope!) TV series I got on DVD.

Went to the grocery store (that's right beside the liquor store at that) and got some snacks for the weekend. The old self of getting stocked up for the holiday weekend crept up on me. Once I had some food, I was fine.

Feel like a champ this morning. Up early, deboned some chicken for soup and may go for a run before church.

Thanks for all the encouraging replies!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I've got a Double Deluxe burger at Culver's penciled in for tomorrow, always good for what ails ya.
Wendy's in our area prolly makes the best burger as far as fast food goes. Burger King isn't too far behind. A local tavern makes a killer burger at a great price... but I was in no condition to patronize such an establishment, if you know what I mean!

Best $6 I spent all week!
Old 09-04-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HALTT: hungry, angry, lonely, tired, thirsty (for water).
This has saved my butt from giving in to my AV so many times. It is so very important.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Well done. HALT (Hunger-Angry-Lonely-Tired ) has been very important to my recovery. Both in the early weeks / months when the cravings and compulsion was strong, when any of those things could trigger me and easily have led me to drinking. But also now, while I still have my alcoholic thinking to work on if I'm going to remain comfortable in sobriety. Last night was one of the times when 2 of those HALT triggers were rattling away, and I needed to work my program hard to find acceptance and regain some serenity (enough so I'd get a good night's sleep anyway).

Please continue to be watchful of all those triggers. If there is nothing else in your daily plan, at least have routine strategies in place that will protect you from those four things.
As usual, I am with berrybean. Every morning I do five things- I jot them down in my day planner and cross them off, even though I know exactly what they are! I am nearing 7 mos sober and this is still an important, regular habit. One of the items is HALT. I check myself every morning. I often jot a little note next to it- woke up tired, not hungry because had dinner so late, whatever. Notes to self, so to speak.

I also think of this throughout the day, especially when I know I am probably not hungry but thirsty.

I got hangry in my drinking days, and now it is more likely that I will get tired and irritable, or impatient, so I watch for the "restless, irritable and discontent" feelings. AA really encourages you to guard against these and I find it very good practice.

Also, sugar cravings are very normal. I feel mine have gone on too long- on top of a healthy diet I still eat ice cream every day- so now I have started a supplement program, largely of pro-biotics, and designed to help curb sugar cravings.

I am a big believer in occasional treats (even daily when we need them)- as long as your health and weight is where it needs to be!!