Notices

Things only an addict would understand...

Old 09-02-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

I don't know. At some time or another, we'll all say things that we don't mean or understand when we don't know what to say.

We try to find common ground when people we know are suffering, and we rarely do this perfectly well. This is, to me, more often an act of compassion, and probably a dose of fear, than otherwise.

When we accuse someone of hurting our feelings when there was no intent, we often neglect the fact that we are essentially doing the same thing.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leaflet View Post
What's funny is I completely don't understand what it's like to be a non-addict. Why the hell would anyone want to drink a glass of booze just to enjoy it? I mean, I just don't get it, and I don't think I ever have. Every time I have ever had alcohol, whether consciously or not, I was drinking to get drunk. I've always wondered what it is like to be able to drink normally. What happens differently in those peoples' brains? Such a mystery!
I used to be a 'normal' drinker though. That's how I started out, I'd like to think. Only later on did it become a problem.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loekken View Post
I used to be a 'normal' drinker though. That's how I started out, I'd like to think. Only later on did it become a problem.

I think it does us some good to think back how our alcoholism progressed.... not to dwell on it, but how one thing led to the next. And we became full-blown alkys!!
Old 09-03-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
zjw

from day one i drank for that buzz and hopefully to get trashed. I can say i never liked the taste. I think my taste fro beer was an aquired one and I often wonder now that its been 5 years if i'd un-aquired it. I"m not about to find out however. but the reality is it all tasted liek garbage to me. I think my AV had me convinced otherwise after a while because it new this foul taste was teh delivery system of the goods etc.. so bad became good.

that being said from a taste standpoint if your not an alcoholic why on eary would you wanna drink the stuff it tastes terrible to me lol.

Gee I'm hot and thirsty i'll have a few shots of vodka... Or gee I'm hot and thirsty I'll take an ice cold lemonade or something. What sounds more appealing.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
zjw

its like when i had the first few cigarettes i'd cough get dizzy sick possibly puke few hours later i was having another. the insanity of it.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
Gee I'm hot and thirsty i'll have a few shots of vodka... Or gee I'm hot and thirsty I'll take an ice cold lemonade or something. What sounds more appealing.
Around here, that's a loaded question.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
I think it does us some good to think back how our alcoholism progressed.... not to dwell on it, but how one thing led to the next. And we became full-blown alkys!!
Oh I dwell on it constantly, can't help it. I analyze everything. People tell me to 'let go' of the past but I'm not able to just do that. I consciously suffer and keep going back to what originally happened and let it nag me. Maybe it's unhealthy.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh I dwell on it constantly, can't help it. I analyze everything. People tell me to 'let go' of the past but I'm not able to just do that. I consciously suffer and keep going back to what originally happened and let it nag me. Maybe it's unhealthy.
considering ya say ya consciously suffer,i dont think its MAYBE its unhealthy.

i dont know anyone who isnt capable of getting out of the past and live in today. i think the main thing is they have to WANT to.
then learn how.

i was able to and also stop analyzing everything. well worth learning how and the effort i put in to live in today.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post

i dont know anyone who isnt capable of getting out of the past and live in today. i think the main thing is they have to WANT to.
then learn how.

i was able to and also stop analyzing everything. well worth learning how and the effort i put in to live in today.
It's not that I don't want to - I am not able to. It's not the same. You can say I should make a conscious choice and let go more, but that wouldn't be facing my real issues. So, I keep analyzing. Again, this is just my personal thing and it's great of course when you seemingly have been able to move on better. It takes time of course and is - again - an individual journey.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post

then learn how.

Lately I've been trying to think back to what milestones caused me to increase my consumption. And to be quite honest, I don't remember any!!

I do remember things that did not help the situation (i.e. working night shift, financial struggles, etc.). They may not have been the root cause of my drinking, but they certainly did not cause me to stop drinking!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It's not that I don't want to - I am not able to. It's not the same. You can say I should make a conscious choice and let go more, but that wouldn't be facing my real issues. So, I keep analyzing. Again, this is just my personal thing and it's great of course when you seemingly have been able to move on better. It takes time of course and is - again - an individual journey.
i didnt say you should make a conscious choice to let go more.that wouldnt have worked for me either.
keeping it simple,
my thinkin and my solutions kept me in the problem- keep on analyzing with my thinkin and i kept stuck, which i did for many,many years.
so i used solutions others have used.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I got thinking about this a lot since I started this thread earlier. There are some days I don't even want to think about the past. I simply want to leave it at exactly that, in the past. Concentrate on the here & now.

Other times I want to figure out where I went wrong. And why. Maybe its the mood I am in? Who knows....