SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Dog Died (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/396864-dog-died.html)

Leaflet 08-30-2016 06:26 PM

Dog Died

I adopted a heartworm positive German Shepherd from the pound a few months ago. He made it through all of the treatment injections, and he recovered. He made it out of the kennel rest period. Then, today, when I came home from work in the early afternoon, he was dead in the back yard. The only warning was that he had been urinating in the house for the last couple of days. (That's why he was outside when I wasn't home.) He didn't seem super sick, though he never did become an energetic animal. I was going to give him a few more weeks, and then take him to the vet to ask if I could do anything for his lethargy. He was such a sweet boy, and he was so loving. He was a beautiful dog, and it just breaks my heart that he didn't make it. I haven't been drinking, and I don't plan to go back to it, but I wish something would make me feel less sad.

suki44883 08-30-2016 06:31 PM

Oh, leaflet...I am so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose one of our fur babies. I am glad you aren't drinking though. It wouldn't help anything. We have to face these things with a clear head. I know it hurts. (((HUGS)))

Dee74 08-30-2016 06:36 PM

I'm sorry for your loss leaflet. hope you an find some comfort in the fact you made his last days special ones.

It's tough feeling sad but that's a natural reaction to loss - don't fight it - you'll get through it without drinking :)

D

MariahGayle 08-30-2016 06:51 PM

I'm sorry leaflet, it's tough to lose a pet. As Dee said, he was loved & taken care of in his end days & that is a wonderful thing. Be kind to yourself.

eeerooo 08-30-2016 06:53 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. From one doglover to another.

Caramel 08-30-2016 06:55 PM

My sincere sympathy also. Dogs are special.

least 08-30-2016 07:37 PM

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog. :( I know how painful it is to lose a furry friend. You gave him a good life. Treasure the memories. :hug:

Soberandhealthy 08-30-2016 07:43 PM

Im so sorry I feel your pain, I would be lost without my poochies. You did a great thing for him you gave him a home, thank you for that and feel better soon

GroundhogDay 08-30-2016 07:45 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss and very grateful for the love you showed him at the end of his life.

teatreeoil007 08-30-2016 07:48 PM

Sorry about your dog! I love German Shepherds!

Quincy 08-30-2016 07:49 PM

Oh Leaflet, I am so sorry to her about your dog. I've had dogs all my life and know how tough it can be when you lose one. Have you ever heard of the "Rainbow Bridge"? If not, look it up it's a nice story about when we lose a animal friend.

Delfin 08-31-2016 12:15 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss, Leaflet.

Delfin

Gottalife 08-31-2016 01:03 AM

So sorry to hear of your loss. I lost a dog one time when I was drinking. Just about broke my heart. You see, he was the only friend I had left in the world.

skipper123 08-31-2016 04:53 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. Dogs become our furry children and it is heartbreaking when they cross over the rainbow bridge.

August252015 08-31-2016 05:24 AM

More hugs and big sympathy here. I am a lifelong dog lover; I still mourn one in particular who died 5 years ago- he was my precious love.

You will be ok- and find a place in your heart that your baby can rest. You know drinking won't help- stay strong.

Leaflet 08-31-2016 06:47 AM

Thank you all for your positive comments! I did speak with the vet this morning, and she said it's likely he had an embolism. She said they die instantly like that, so it helps to know he wasn't scared. She said it happens sometimes with heart worm patients. Still sad, but doing okay.

Ariesagain 08-31-2016 06:56 AM

I'm sorry, Leaflet, I know how much it hurts. Thank you so much for making his last months happy ones.

Cherrybreeze 08-31-2016 07:50 AM

I am so sorry. Losing a pet is devastating. :(

I'm wondering if the dog was diabetic and it was not known? The urinating issues and lethargy could point to that. I know that that doesn't help now. :( Stay strong and stay sober. Hugs!

Anna 08-31-2016 08:01 AM

How wonderful that you rescued this beautiful animal from the pound and gave him a loving home for the last months of his life. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beloved pet.

Soberwolf 08-31-2016 08:18 AM

:grouphug: