Notices

Not a hangover

Old 08-28-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not a hangover

I woke up this morning with an aweful headache and nausea .... It was nice to try and figure out what was causing it and not just assume it was a hangover. 21 days sober! I wonder how many serious health issues are covered up by people just assuming the symptoms were alcohol induced?
Old 08-28-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope you feel better Ladybug
Old 08-29-2016, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember very specifically having the flu in 2010 and being very aware of the fact that having the flu (and not drinking for a week) actually felt better than the daily alcohol withdrawal I had every single day. I drank 365 days a year so I had actually forgotten what it felt like to not be hung over.

I had a pinching pain in my right side for the last four years of my drinking. Of course the doctor was the last place you'd ever find me so I self-diagnosed my liver as having problems. There were times when I thought, What if it's something else? Like cancer? I could broken my legs and I wouldn't have gone to the doctor because then my drinking would come up. There is quite a long period where you can lie to your doctor about your alcohol consumption and get away with it. I was at the point where it was visible on my face and I knew my bloodwork would show it. I was right. It did.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I remember very specifically having the flu in 2010 and being very aware of the fact that having the flu (and not drinking for a week) actually felt better than the daily alcohol withdrawal I had every single day. I drank 365 days a year so I had actually forgotten what it felt like to not be hung over. I had a pinching pain in my right side for the last four years of my drinking. Of course the doctor was the last place you'd ever find me so I self-diagnosed my liver as having problems. There were times when I thought, What if it's something else? Like cancer? I could broken my legs and I wouldn't have gone to the doctor because then my drinking would come up. There is quite a long period where you can lie to your doctor about your alcohol consumption and get away with it. I was at the point where it was visible on my face and I knew my bloodwork would show it. I was right. It did.
What was the pain in your side?
Old 08-29-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Soberwolf! I started feeling better by noon. Still not sure what brought it on. Maybe my body was so use to waking up feeling bad it didn't know how to feel good in the morning yet. LOL
Old 08-29-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At 21 days it could still be withdrawals, depending on how much and how long you drank.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
What was the pain in your side?
Liver inflammation, aka alcoholic hepatitis. High enzymes in blood work. I had a ct scan and bloodwork at 18 months sober and all was healed. If I had continued drinking I believe I would be dead by now.

It came down to a choice. Keep drinking and die or stop and live.

Ivecbeen sober for 26 months.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Liver inflammation, aka alcoholic hepatitis. High enzymes in blood work. I had a ct scan and bloodwork at 18 months sober and all was healed. If I had continued drinking I believe I would be dead by now. It came down to a choice. Keep drinking and die or stop and live. Ivecbeen sober for 26 months.
I see- thanks. It's amazing what eliminating alcohol will do.