SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Tired... loss of sexual desire. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/396542-tired-loss-sexual-desire.html)

Jeffery 08-24-2016 05:02 PM

Tired... loss of sexual desire.

This is yet another attempt at not drinking. Day 17. Still tired, almost constant headache, and my man hood doesnt work like it used too. I started exercising 3 days ago. Please tell me this will get better. I am approaching 39 years of age.
Been drinking lots of water and eating healthy.
I feel i finally get that I cant control my drinking. Been easy so far other than the side effects.

ScottFromWI 08-24-2016 05:22 PM

It will definitely get better Jeffery! 17 days is great, but it's still very early on...our minds and bodies need time to heal. Also remember that we sometimes just have bad days, life simply has its ups and downs. Keep up the exercise and get enough rest, you'll improve slowly but surely.

JD 08-24-2016 05:25 PM

Hi Jeffery. 17 days is very early in recovery. Hang in there it does get better but takes time. I'm almost a year sober and every day is a little better. You're doing great but don't expect miracles over night.

teatreeoil007 08-24-2016 06:41 PM

Decreased libido is very common in early sobriety. It's a brain thing...your brain re-configuring itself. ... be patient and stick with it; good job on exercising. It will be worth all the health benefits.

zjw 08-24-2016 07:06 PM

I oddly didn't have that issue but it does get easier otherwise 17 days is a big deal I too am approaching 39 good job at quitting get it over with etc.. I did have one friend who had low testosterone issues years agoe tho so who knows maybe talk to your doc about it?

leviathan 08-24-2016 07:29 PM

Like previous post pointed out- very common. I liken early sobriety to clinical depression, as the chemical component is similar. Depression is a libido killer.

I endured a dip during the first two months. The third saw me better than ever. LOL!

On the testosterone front, nothing improves a man's numbers like dumping the beer out.

redneckrecovery 08-25-2016 12:37 AM

it will come back. I was in the same boat. Your body is very damaged and is repairing itself. Give it time and keep working out. I did the exact same thing, I'm now 4.5 years sober and have a 600# deadlift with a crazy libido..

it gets better, a little bit everyday

FBL 08-25-2016 03:46 AM

I was pretty much in the same boat, Jeffrey. Give your mind and body some more time to heal. Most importantly, don't go back to drinking. I don't mean to brag, but in my case, the sex drive came back in spades:)

Mountainmanbob 08-25-2016 03:48 AM

Stay sober and things should improve try some prostate vitamins.
Mountainman

Jeffery 08-25-2016 05:27 AM

Glad to know it will get better eventually. It seems like the feeling like crap is never gonna end. Ill stick it out. Hopefully exercise will make me feel better too.

zjw 08-25-2016 05:43 AM

excercise helps. i started by walking then took up running. it relieves frustrations and anxiety and i swear you sweat out the toxins and such.

Ooona 08-25-2016 05:52 AM

I am finding that for myself, part of the component of sex is also the intimacy peice.
Got to the point that 99 percent of the time that I was intimate with my husband, I was under the influence of alcohol. Many times I was anesthetized to the point that I couldnt really experience complete fulfillment, but went through the motions, completely detached from the intimacy part.
In order to seriously enjoy that experience requires me to be open and vulnerable which is something, like I said, I havent experienced for a very long time.
This is improving very slowly and I am so very grateful to have a patient and kind spouse who is helping me to trust and open up to true intimacy again. I already ( day 25 here) am enjoying our time together much more then when I was drinking when I couldnt remember much less truly enjoy our sexual life.

Give it time and I think you too will find the experiences much better then you've ever had drunk!

advbike 08-25-2016 09:55 AM

It will get better.. lots better, Hahaha..

steve-in-kville 08-25-2016 03:38 PM

Check out the Men's Room here on the forums. Lots of threads about this topic. Your not alone. I'm two weeks into it and my wife was starting to wonder....

SlickRick07 08-25-2016 03:53 PM

Things sometimes don't just magically get "better." You are 39, at an age where testosterone has already started declining. Alcoholism likely accelerated that decline. Eat a good diet, lift weights. If you still feel the same in 3 months get blood work and have your hormone levels checked. You might be a candidate for Testosterone Replacement Therapy. But, don't listen to people that tell you things will magically get better. Be realistic, and reassess after 3 more months.

Zebra1275 08-25-2016 07:39 PM

Hopefully exercise will make me feel better too.

So will a proper diet.

When I was drinking I ate a lot of fast food and other crap. Watch what you eat and you will heal even faster.

advbike 08-26-2016 10:24 AM

Well it will, for sure. It certainly got better for me Jeffery, and I'm considerably older than you. Can't keep away from my gf, lol.. But you gotta take care of yourself. It's priority one.. eat right, keep active, exercise hard, get good sleep. Never take another drink. Cheers.

Jeffery 08-29-2016 09:56 AM

Made it 3 Weeks. Finally feeling more normal. :c011: Being sober rocks. I got done some stuff I have put off for years this weekend.

Thanks for your support.

thomas11 08-29-2016 11:24 AM

Just stay the course, everything will level out. Its hard to know how long, but it will. Congrats on 17 days.

Mountainmanbob 08-29-2016 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=Jeffery;6113247]Made it 3 Weeks. Finally feeling more normal. :c011: Being sober rocks. I got done some stuff I have put off for years this weekend.

That will make one feel good. And when we are feeling good about ourselves it can only help our sex drive.

If I'm emotionally down -- seems other body parts may follow.

Have fun -- put no stress on yourself.

Mountainman