Notices

8 months.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Life is what you make it, but you're the only one that can do it. I only wish you could believe in yourself like many of us here believe in you.
FBL is exactly right sleepie. You are the only one who can do this. You receive a massive outpouring of support here and every single person wants you to succeed, but you are the only one who can do it.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
FBL is exactly right sleepie. You are the only one who can do this. You receive a massive outpouring of support here and every single person wants you to succeed, but you are the only one who can do it.
for me that is a very lonely feeling. when i was sobering up and even now at times. I feel at the end of the day the only one who can fix me is me no one can reach inside of me and rewire me etc... and then I feel very alone.

anyone else ever feel like that? like despite all the support all the books all the meetings at the end of the day its you alone with yourself that has to get it done in this life.

I dunno maybe a bit off topic i guess. But sometimes it stunk that someone couldnt jump in my body and do it for me but thats just the wayt htat it is i guess.

The upside tho is you realize how strong you are and figure out what your made of.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
for me that is a very lonely feeling. when i was sobering up and even now at times. I feel at the end of the day the only one who can fix me is me no one can reach inside of me and rewire me etc... and then I feel very alone.

anyone else ever feel like that? like despite all the support all the books all the meetings at the end of the day its you alone with yourself that has to get it done in this life.

I dunno maybe a bit off topic i guess. But sometimes it stunk that someone couldnt jump in my body and do it for me but thats just the wayt htat it is i guess.

The upside tho is you realize how strong you are and figure out what your made of.
I agree - it is a lonely feeling. When I finally realized what my addiction was and that I was the only one who could fix it, I was scared out of my mind. And I absolutely wished someone could jump in and "fix" me with a pill, a special technique, etc. Same thing with my Anxiety - i kept wanting my therapist to give me some magic technique that would just make my anxiety "go away". I still do sometimes to be frank.

But that doesn't change the facts - and the fact is that the problem lies within each of us. And while we all have the responsibility to make changes if we want to get better, that also means we have the power within us to do so. Each and every person has that power.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

See ya guys I have to try and rest. I've been up since yesterday.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello Sleepie, and congratulations on eight months! I think one thing you might think of to celebrate this hard won milestone is to pick a lovely new avatar, or if you are able, treat us all to one of your marvellous drawings. I hope you get some rest.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

8 Months is fantastic Sleepie!!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sometimes rest is the best medicine. Hope you feel better soon, Sleepie.

Whenever I feel down, I listen to some favorite music. Here's one I needed to hear this morning, especially with all the political crap going on this election season. The song is about people coming together for change, but I also think it works from a "finding the power within ourselves" perspective. Also, I like Patti Smith songs in general

Old 08-24-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Way to go Sleepie on your 8 months. You have come so far, and we are all so proud of you.
Please don't do anything you will regret...
Old 08-24-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great job!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Others have been careless in how they treat me, why then should I care how I treat myself?
all the more reason not to drop the ball when caring for yourself, surely, Sleepie?

D
Old 08-24-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well I've been taught not to stick up for myself and to accept a bashing. So then how am I to do that?

Irony is, alcohol was the only thing second to benzos that freed me from the pain that others cause. I recall taking a benzo after a particularly nasty, entitled person at work near each morning and just feeling the relief wash over me knowing that I could take a beating and collect another meager paycheck, scrape through another day.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why continue to live by what is obviously bad advice?

D
Old 08-24-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Maybe that's what the universe wants for me.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I include sticking up for myself In taking care of myself. Why fight the beat down? I'm like a boxer, I don't want to get up anymore. I've learned. Shut up and take it. I have anxiety dysthymia and depression from basically being treated this way. I don't have it in me anymore. It's gone.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you feel that way, sleepie.

D
Old 08-24-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm sorry I've been made to feel that way.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I'm sorry I've been made to feel that way.
oh, you absolutely have the power to change that Sleepie

Hope you have a good rest of your day night and that tomorrow is a little brighter for you

D
Old 08-24-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I know this- when I hurt someone I apologize. I apologize for my actions, not for their feelings. But, that's just me. I was forced to grow up pretty quick and pretty hard, so maybe those who had easier, softer upbringings don't feel as responsible for their words and actions.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The theme of all your posts over the past week have hinted that you are being "beat down" or disrespected and that you are seeking an apology Sleepie. All I see from people here is love, sympathy, kindness and encouragement. Every thread you start is filled with it...literally hundreds of responses.

The only conclusion I can draw is that there must be something you are not sharing or not seeking help for that needs immediate attention. You've refused to see a therapist about your depression and anxiety, is it that? You need help...plain and simple, just like a lot of us...like I do. Or is it your relationship with your BF? If so maybe it's time to finally move on.

Bottom line though, no apology from wherever you seek it will solve your problems. Action on your part will.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yeeeahhhh!! Way to go girl!!! so proud of you!!!
Definitely something missing in the equation my dear... keep reaching out and reaching for more. Some great posts here... the power is yours if you choose it to be, to make change, and change is hard at the best of times. But we don't have to be defined by our pasts or even our perceived inward or outward "flaws"- no one here is perfect. Everyone here is capable of achieving anything they want. even you hun. We set our own limits.