Notices

Back to square one

Old 09-10-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Hope all is going well Eric. If you need some help with your recovery plan why not run what you have past us first?
Scott, each day I'm doing the following:

Do something healthy,
Reach out to friend(s),
Consider my addiction/recovery for 15 minutes,
Read or listen to something I like,
Do some smalltalk with people.

Really small steps but things I haven't been doing and they are things that are definitely good for me.

I haven't gotten into the trigger stage of the plan yet.

Hope everyone's doing ok.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi eric

whats holding you back on making a definite plan as outlined in the links above?
Old 09-12-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I fell off the wagon

Hello-
My name is Cassandra...I was sober for 2 years and recently fell off the wagon...at first I was able to control how many drinks I could have and now I'm out of control. I'm filled with guilt, shame and regret! I thought I could be in control but I was wrong. I've never gone to AA and I think that's the best step for me since I feel like I can't do it on my own...can I just show up to any group meeting? How does it work? Thank you!
Old 09-12-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Cassandra - you can just show up at any AA meeting, yes. You'll find a lot of support and information here on SR too, congratulations on taking some positive steps towards getting sober.

You may want to start a thread in the Newcomer's forum too if you'd like, you can meet a lot of people in your same situation there.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome Cassandra - you can just show up at any AA meeting, yes. You'll find a lot of support and information here on SR too, congratulations on taking some positive steps towards getting sober.

You may want to start a thread in the Newcomer's forum too if you'd like, you can meet a lot of people in your same situation there.
Thank you for responding!
Old 09-12-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Cassandra
Old 09-13-2016, 01:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Cassandra,

Yes you can just show up at a meeting and you will get an idea of how a meeting works. My suggestion is to observe closely and if you see someone who appears to have what you want, ask them to spend some time with you to explain the AA program of recovery, which is a different thing to the meetings.

For myself I was too fearful to front up to a meeting on my own, so I rang the AA helpline who put me in contact with a recovered alcoholic who explained the whole deal, and then took me to a meeting that night. It was good for me knowing what to expect and what not to expect, and having a buddy take care of me those first few weeks.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi eric

whats holding you back on making a definite plan as outlined in the links above?
Hiya Dee.

I was going to ask for some advice on that.
I've been trying to adapt it to suit me.
For example I don't need anybody to know a good time when it's safe to leave me alone. I get that's aimed at people with mental illness issues where there might be safety concerns.
Once I've stopped drinking, I really don't need people around. In fact, I'm probably better with nobody around!

One thing I cannot figure out (which is the eternal question for all alcoholics) is IF I START, HOW DO I STOP BEFORE OBLIVION HITS.

I guess I'm not going to figure that out so my efforts have to be avoiding that first drink.

On another note, as I mentioned in a previous post, I've been trying to make small talk with people for a few minutes per day. Yesterday, my daughter and I took my mother's dog for a walk around the area I grew up in. We met two people (separately) I knew growing up. Usually, I would put my head down and pretend I didn't see them. See, I hate small talk. Yesterday, I had such a blast reminiscing with these guys. I was left with such a good feeling.
Folks, I would recommend spending a few minutes each day reaching out to folk to talk about the weather or sports or the damned government or whatever.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chachperez1984 View Post
Hello-
My name is Cassandra...I was sober for 2 years and recently fell off the wagon...at first I was able to control how many drinks I could have and now I'm out of control. I'm filled with guilt, shame and regret! I thought I could be in control but I was wrong. I've never gone to AA and I think that's the best step for me since I feel like I can't do it on my own...can I just show up to any group meeting? How does it work? Thank you!
Hi Cassandra.

2 years and off the wagon.
I have been that soldier.

Congrats on seeking to get back on the horse.
Keep in touch with people here.
There's a million years experience on these boards.
All the best my friend.