Notices

Keeping it in limits

Old 08-20-2016, 01:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping it in limits

Hi. Yesterday didnt drink at all. Day before was not good.

Today had two beers and one cigaret. This monday is my birthday and im wery comfused.

Can i stay with it in limits like two or one beers few cigarets. Or do i need to quit at all.

My mind iswery comfused dont know what to do.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

As others will tell you moderation for an addict is just a long drawn out torture. Only you can decide what is best for you.
We will support you.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alkolik

I dunno about you but I can't keep my drinking in control. Tried for 20 years. Never could.

Think about it - if you could, why are you looking for a place like this?

D
Old 08-20-2016, 01:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I Alkolik,

sure you can keep it to one or two drinks and the occasional cigarette - if you are not an alcoholic. Why not give it a try.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I Alkolik,

sure you can keep it to one or two drinks and the occasional cigarette - if you are not an alcoholic. Why not give it a try.
I realise that's in the Big Book Mike - but this is not a general public kind of board.

I think everyone who lobs here has some kind of problem.

Speaking not as staff, but as just another SR member, I dunno - I think we can do better we can do better here than 'go try it'?

some first hand experience maybe?

D
Old 08-20-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I realise that's in the Big Book Mike - but this is not a general public kind of board.

I think everyone who lobs here has some kind of problem.

Speaking not as staff, but as just another SR member, I dunno - I think we can do better we can do better here than 'go try it'?

some first hand experience maybe?

D
Go try it was exactly what I did Dee, and it was invaluable experience in identifying the real problem. Just as in AA it is a mistake to assume that everyone coming through the site is an alcoholic. My experience is that it is wiser to help them identify the problem. If they get to do that, they have a much stronger chance of finding the right solution. Nothing undermines recovery more than doubt about what the problem really is.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My mind trics me. Im lying to myself. Alcohol = trouble for me. I cant keep it in limits. I hawe to quit totally and forever. These days hard for me.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

This is my experience, but I tried moderation many times over many years. It never worked. I could be ok for awhile but I was soon right back to where I was before. I didn't really want to admit that my problem was really that bad and I had lost the battle. I think just about everyone of us has tried moderating at some time. It is very rarely successful.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Well let's do this. Start a new thread in your life. 'I am going to quit.'
Old 08-20-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do this bud
Old 08-20-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alkolik View Post
My mind trics me. Im lying to myself. Alcohol = trouble for me. I cant keep it in limits. I hawe to quit totally and forever. These days hard for me.

There you go.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Not to be too blunt, but if it goes anything like it did for me: You're lying to yourself. I couldn't moderate. I was an addict. Addicts don't do "moderation." Its full speed ahead.... or nothing at all. There is/was no "in between" with this.

But that's just me.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"Total abstinence is easier to maintain than perfect moderation"

How many times have we all tried and failed? It took me 30 years of hard drinking to figure this out. For me that was the great illusion of alcoholism. It's called insanity.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tried what your trying many times. It just doesn't work. I always end up back to making a mess of my life. Giving up drinking is very hard, but well worth the battle. What your going through is pure torture IMO. Sounds like your working hard at something and getting nowhere. Maybe time to change course. Good Luck. John
Old 08-20-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dont know how or why, alcohol part of my life i realize that. Im not big drinker like before, drinking just few beers if i drink and not at same time. Like two now and two more 6 hours later. But its still alcoholism i think because if i drink only one beer, that moment i want that one beer urgently and relaxing when i got ut.

Dont know what i hawe to do. Drinked two more now. Actually its not effect anythink like before but i fear about if i go back to past lost days bad days.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Greetings, Alkolik, from a fellow August 22nd baby!

As others have said here, and as I have discovered countless times, moderation might as well be considered an impossibility for the alcoholic. The way you describe your drinking and your inability to stop once you start, you fit the description. At least from that perspective. It's seems to be causing you more torture and misery to try and control it than to just not do it at all, right?
Old 08-20-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Dont know what i hawe to do.
You have two clear choices.

1. Admit/accept that you have a problem with alcohol and quit drinking completely.

2. Keep drinking and see what happens.

You already know what will happen actually, your history as you've described it indicates that sometimes you cannot control how much you drink. You cannot ever "go back" so to speak...once you are an alcoholic you always will be. And most likely things will get worse.

This community and many others like it are here to help if you choose #1.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You are right scott. I know whats going to happen. Ive just come back from military service, there ive not able to drink, only once in two three weeks. So i come back and for now i hawe control about my alcoholism but its come from my military days, in few monts i know because of relaxing of civil life im gona get out of control again.

You are right. I hawe to quit. Its wery sad. Dont know what i will do without alcoholl at all and without cigarets.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Alkolik,

About not knowing what to do without alcohol: I was a social drinker in my 20's. At the age of 31 I just lost interest in it and became a complete non-drinker for 22 yrs. Because of a change in my life I started drinking wine for 3 yrs. I very much regret it, because I loved my sober life - REALLY loved it.
If you don't give it a try you'll never know. Take a few months off, and I'll bet you'll see things a bit differently.
You keep mentioning your upcoming Birthday. Congrats on that. I stopped celebrating birthdays around the age of 25 or so. It isn't a big deal to me. In fact you could choose ANY "holiday" to excuse your drinking. There are plenty of them and we use them all of the time. But Tuesday will just be "another day." Will you have a reason for drinking on Tuesday? There will always be a reason to drink if you want one.
You can do this.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are right. I hawe to quit. Its wery sad. Dont know what i will do without alcoholl at all and without cigarets.
Well, if you go down the route of recovery, you can end up doing pretty much whatever you want, because you can regain control over your life. You can start to appreciate things in your adult life just as you did before you started drinking. You can be emotionally available for your lived ones. You can learn things and do so many more things than you could drunk or hungover. You can be honest and proud of yourself. You can find hope. And people here can tell you how they achieved these things, which might give you some idea of how you can do it.

Life does get better. We get better.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB