Notices

When the novelty wears off

Old 08-18-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When the novelty wears off

I am feeling today like I miss drinking on these days when things seem to suck. At least when I was drinking I was able to escape the suck-i-ness of these days. Except.....I am not a normal drinker, and can't even have a sip, it would lead to blackout. Always has, did during my last relapse, 100% certain it would happen again. And I can't go through that again.

It sucks that others can have a crappy day, have a drink to take the edge off, unwind a little, and not lose control of their drinking. But it is what it is.

Just needing to vent is all....can't drink, not gonna drink.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drinking never solition i experinc that for years, just covering problems with nice curtain. Better to deal with evrything awake. My opinion is that but even i cant do that
Old 08-18-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry you are having a bad day Whodathunk....but it sounds to me like your addiction is really talking a strong game today. You do not "escape" the suck-i-ness by drinking, only postpone it and make it worse actually.

I think your post is a pretty clear reminder of why being sober and "not drinking" are 2 entirely different things. Life is not good all the time, and we all have bad days - and we always will. Getting sober means finding healthy ways to face our problems and work through them. You coming here and talking about it is actually a "coping" mechanism in itself when you think about it - It's helping you process whatever it is that's actually bothering you rather than getting drunk in hopes of avoiding it. Sharing is a very powerful tool, keep at it!

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 08-18-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

We won't just have 1 drink though will we ?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

bad days come and bad days go- sober or drunk.
maybe you should look for ways other than alcohol to unwind and take the edge off?
maybe put pen to paper and make a list of things youre greatful for,which can start with knowing alcohol isnt the solution.

got any hobbies?
Old 08-18-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You'd be amazed to see how most people DON'T drink on rough days
Old 08-18-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

It sucks that others can have a crappy day, have a drink to take the edge off, unwind a little, and not lose control of their drinking. But it is what it is
yeah thats about all you can do is accept it and move on. it would be easy to play the victom card poor me i had a bad day and i cant cope with it without booze and someone else gets booze but not me poor me poor me pour me another drink. Yeah that would be all to easy.

its much better to just accept that it is what it is like you said and just move on. least you get to go to bed wake up start a new day and take another swing at life. thats the cool part the crappy days do indeed end and we can start another day the following day and hwo knows it might be a good one.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing (venting) this, it's been useful to me too, so not such a crappy day when you help somebody else?
Glad you're not drinking,
xx
Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Funny how we drank to escape, but wound up desperate to escape the consequences of our drinking. Every time I drank to escape something, I always ended up feeling much worse. I've never awakened regretting staying sober.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Whodathunk View Post
It sucks that others can have a crappy day, have a drink to take the edge off, unwind a little, and not lose control of their drinking. But it is what it
More people than you realize can have a crappy day AND NOT DRINK. Period. Some have healthy ways to deal with it, to take the edge off and unwind. Some just suffer though the misery of a crappy day. Or days.

But they don't drink. So neither should you. Stop romancing what normal drinkers can do. That ain't us.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So sorry you're having a rough day. And I don't think you are playing the "victim card." I'd rather you come here and rant rather than drink. Life is pretty sucky and yay to those folks who can do the perpetual optimist thing. Frankly, I believe that people - drinkers or no - should get a d*mn trophy just for getting through every day without completely losing it.
PM me if you want to rant some more. But WARNING: There's a fair chance that I'll get you to laughing before we get too far
Old 08-18-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on reaching out to others instead of picking up a drink. I force myself to remember the disasters I created while drunk, the awful hangovers because I've proved to myself that I can't have a drink or two. Once I pick up a drink I can't stop.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I just needed to brain dump and vent. Putting it down 'to paper' always helps me, and this is my place to do it. I made it thru the bad part and feel pretty good now (well, better). 'This too shall pass' is ALWAYS the case, and I am always refreshingly amazed how good I feel when it DOES pass, and I did not drink because of it.

Your comments meant a lot!
Old 08-18-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Get out and take a walk or a good run... Go to a meeting and talk with a new guy still shaking.. We have to practice living life on life's terms!! Go get em!!
Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't let yourself MISS drinking, you need to work on changing how you think about alcohol. Because that is the fastest way to relapse.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When the 'novelty' of sobriety began to wear off, I noticed serenity in my life, for the first time in a long time. What I used to call boredom, I now call serenity. It's all about how you see things.

I also started practicing gratitude early in recovery and it was a big boost to my whole life, not just my sobriety. It gives me a very positive outlook.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

What I wouldn't give for one bad day. Since my daughter was diagnosed with cancer and eventually died. Then the total meltdown of grief afterwards which is on going I have had 800 - 900 bad days in a row. But what would a drink solve? Would it make my problems any less? Would a drink solve anything? Nope, all a drink will do is make a horrible situation worse. So I have no choice but to deal with life on life's terms. Life certainly isn't easy but is a whole lot easier than being an active alcoholic
Old 08-18-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
Funny how we drank to escape, but wound up desperate to escape the consequences of our drinking. Every time I drank to escape something, I always ended up feeling much worse. I've never awakened regretting staying sober.
So true. You go out for "a beer" to shake off a little problem, hours later, you've got many big problems. Just yuck
Old 08-18-2016, 10:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
fgo

Most people I know wouldn't even think about having a drink after a sucky day, but we aren't most people.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have a non-alcoholic friend who lost a family member this week, very unexpectedly. Her husband (light drinker) suggested that she buy wine to take the edge off. She mentioned that he brought some home.

I forget how it came up but she told me later in the week that the bottle was unopened.

Many people feel no need to take the edge off with a substance. They just don't even think about it.

A few years ago a friend told me that she was so stressed out at work that she was coming home everyday and drinking "a beer." Yes, I typed that correctly and you read it correctly. A (one) beer. It was the frequency that was concerning her. I think her beer phase lasted about a week until she felt it was becoming too expensive.

This example was especially interesting to me because this was when I was in the depths of my alcoholism.