Notices

When the novelty wears off

Old 08-19-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes the novelty does wear off and the hard times come.. I always think though, the harder time comes if I drink. It's never ever ever worth it.

Stay strong, stay clean!
Old 08-19-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Che

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
More people than you realize can have a crappy day AND NOT DRINK. Period. Some have healthy ways to deal with it, to take the edge off and unwind. Some just suffer though the misery of a crappy day. Or days.

But they don't drink. So neither should you. Stop romancing what normal drinkers can do. That ain't us.
I think that's it. Normal people don't drink just because they're having a crappy day. Part of why you're an alcoholic is that alcohol is your first solution to anything.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think there is too much credit being given here to the 'non-alcoholics' who might be inclined to have a drink when they get home after having a crappy day, or after ANY day. I doubt all non alcoholics who drink only drink because they like the flavor, but maybe I am wrong. I have been to many conferences, some very large ones, and I could count on both hands the people who did not have a drink, especially if they were free, after the days were done. I doubt conference goers are not a reliable sample group, yet maybe most conference goers are alcoholics and I just did not know it.

Why are there so many bars and restaurants that serve drinks and are frequented at all hours? I would guess that IF there is a high percentage of the people drinking there who are alcoholics (which I think we can all agree there are many blackouters and people who should not be driving after drinking), then there would be even higher numbers of DUI fatalities and arrests then there are. Nope, I think there are many people who just want to have a drink before going home, or to feel a little better (which is not JUST a sign of being an alcoholic).

Call me cynical....

Today is day 402, God willing tomorrow will be day 403.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Whodathunk View Post
Nope, I think there are many people who just want to have a drink before going home, or to feel a little better (which is not JUST a sign of being an alcoholic).
It really doesn't matter what we think of "those people" ( normal drinkers ). We are not one of them. And no amount of resentment by me ( or you ) towards them will change that fact.

The fact is we live in a world where temptation will always abound, so we need to change ourselves to live within it. And accept that we simply cannot drink, whether it seems "fair" or not.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That's a great thing I've learned in recovery. I always have the option to drink but I choose not to because I know what the outcome will be. Sounds like you do too. I try not to focus on what others choose to do because that's not my reality. Focusing on things that others do that I CHOOSE NOT to do seems silly. Actually it's a great way to feed my alcoholic voice. It doesn't need any more strength than it has. Lol.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

ScottFromWI, I don't think I mentioned resentment. I am quite fine being sober. Sorry if I misled.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I had to plan things to do that I liked ahead of time so I didn't give myself a chance to think about other people being able to drink.

Tonight I'm getting takeout seafood and watching Money Monster. The trailer to the movie is great. I had this plan in place midweek.

Idle time feeds the AV. Pre planning eats chunks out of that idle time.