Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Telling the world you're sober? (without bragging)

Notices

Telling the world you're sober? (without bragging)

Old 08-13-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Haha I like that Facebook for drunks.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I don't broadcast it, I let my actions speak for themselves. Every year I simply post the number that represents my years clean. My AA and SMART friends know what that numeral means, the others probably think I accidentally hit the keyboard and posted.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post
Haha I like that Facebook for drunks.
EX-drunks.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
[K]nowledge of a past drinking problem can throw red flags for an employer. most have dealt with relapses and the problems they create for a company.
I was very fortunate on my current job in this regard. I had lost my last job due to being twice caught drunk on the job. Then, the very next day, totaled my car and got my first DWI. When I returned from rehab, I needed a job ASAP. A placement service found the one I have now. I worked as a temp for 90 days, but did the absolute best I could and was offered a permanent position. During the interview, they asked if they would find anything if they did a criminal records check on me. I told them, yes, they would find a recent DWI conviction. I was also very upfront about having lost my last job. I didn't go into specifics or talk about being an alcoholic in recovery or anything like that. That wasn't the information they were asking for. I just shared that I was dealing with some very personal issues and was in therapy for it. That seemed to be enough for them and they hired me. Been there a year this month.

So, it doesn't always work against you, but if pressed for info they could find out on their own, don't make yourself too vulnerable to those who might use it against you.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

You just never know... that person who is interviewing you for a job could be an ex-addict himself!
Old 08-14-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My sobriety is very private.

If I knew somebody before 2014 then they knew I was in alcoholic because of my behavior and the drunken phone calls and many other things. These people know and we don't talk about it .

If I met somebody after 2014 then they don't know anything other than that I am a nondrinker.

I actually told my mom that I do not care to talk about it. We made a deal that as long as I stay sober it will never be mentioned again.

I would never tell a coworker or boss.

I have gone out with coworkers to happy hour and I order soda. Once a coworker asked me if I drink and I said no. He actually asked me why and I said just to be healthier. I think I also said that I had turned 30 and decided that I didn't want to drink anymore.

So even with coworkers I'm not vague. I'm forward that I do not drink alcohol. Do they suspect? I honestly don't care. What's there to gossip about somebody who doesn't drink ?
Old 08-14-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD View Post
I can't remember telling anyone that I got sober, including my wife. I just show it by not drinking. I wasn't fooling anyone that I had a problem and they see the difference. And tomorrow marks my 11 month.
That's interesting. I didn't tell my husband either. Took him a few months to ask about it.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Kept it on the hush.
Nobody's business.
Besides most people
may not drink, but
everyone has some sort
of dirt or skeletons in their
closet.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Again, interesting responses. Your folks put a lot of thought into this.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I envy those of you who got a handle on this before too many people knew about it. I hid myself behind that kind of anonymity for most of my 28 years of drinking alcoholically. It emboldened me. If anyone really knew, they weren't saying anything, and that was as good as getting away with it. It wasn't until I lost control of what I was doing that I finally attracted the attention of those around me. Can't "unring" that bell. But, of late, I have become much more protective over my personal life. I'll share some things in meetings but, in everyday life, I keep it to myself. People already know much more than I ever really would have wanted them to.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

No way would I post on facebook anything about my addiction. Nor would I ever mention it in an interview for a job.

But I did end up telling several co-workers that I'm an alcoholic and go to meetings and have been sober a very long time. But I do not recommend this for most people.

I do not regret telling my co-workers either. It's not like I'm running for the president of the United States or some very important position. I'm just a worker among workers.

It seemed to relieve the anxiety for me and to just be honest of telling them who I am as many co-workers tell me their interests as well as their drinking and drug usage.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yes, in time all of our family and friends will know that we are sober but, I would not want to broadcast my sobriety to the rest of the world. We learn as we are around for a while, most times best when kept to ourselves.

M-Bob
Old 08-14-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My drinking and pilling brought me into the limelight because I felt the need to drive while blackout drunk, fall out of my car, get arrested, lose my license and go to rehab. I live in a very small town. That said, everyone is so glad I stopped this behavior and have been very supportive. My clean actions and quietness is all I can give them.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Our AA home group meeting has a Facebook page and I was asked to join a while back. I told them that I don't do Facebook. Now after hearing about some of the drama on their page, I think that I have made a good decision not to participate.

One of the reasons that I got sober was to be drama free.

M-Bob