SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   One of the most telling moments... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/395940-one-most-telling-moments.html)

Redmayne 08-13-2016 01:17 AM

One of the most telling moments...

In January of this year (2016), here in the UK, Channel 5 tv broadcast one of the most groundbreaking, not least for the courage and honesty of the participants. Eight men and women from all walks of life, titled,'My name is ... I'm an alcoholic,' based on the fact that it's reckoned there are 8 million alcohol dependant people (jury's still out on that, not least because reports suggest there's an increase in middle aged and older people,like me, drinking alcoholically behind closed doors) in the UK.

The participants, one of whom, regrettably relapsed just before the programme was broadcast descent into alcoholism and drinking....including their recovery in a manner, which we all know resonates in a way that no other can when one drunk talks to another...

One of the most telling moments, there were many, in it was when, David (52), a former editor of one of the UK's national daily tabloid newspapers. Not that it really matters, as we all know alcoholism is no respecter of class, race, gender, age or (dis)ability . Was asked, on leaving a rehabilitation facility, along with others, to sign out...

At which point, he stated that he knew that since that time over half those who signed the register with him that day, were dead!

Which underscores, and I'm not that old that I don't know I'm repeating myself and no doubt will do again...that alcoholism is the only illness/disease that'll kill you, whilst at the same time telling you, you haven't got it!

As it says in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' , 'Remember we deal with alcohol cunning, baffling, powerful.'

Darwinia 08-13-2016 02:20 AM

Is there a link where one can find this broadcast?

joandmelandhan 08-13-2016 02:31 AM

Try this.....

https://www.my5.tv/im-an-alcoholic-m...lic-my-name-is

Jo x

steve-in-kville 08-13-2016 05:46 AM

I wonder what the figure would be here in the US?

Bird615 08-13-2016 06:14 AM

I don't know about death, but in 1981 here in Canada, I was told on leaving the treatment centre that something like only that 2 out of 10 of us had a chance of making it without relapsing.

I figured I was one of those 2 until 30 years later. I know I'm very fortunate to have made it back.

steve-in-kville 08-13-2016 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Madbird (Post 6089578)
I don't know about death, but in 1981 here in Canada, I was told on leaving the treatment centre that something like only that 2 out of 10 of us had a chance of making it without relapsing.

I figured I was one of those 2 until 30 years later. I know I'm very fortunate to have made it back.

Somewhat related to this, I was told that for as many years as a person was addicted, that was how many tries it would take to quit. Old wives tale?

(Don't mean to hijack this thread...)

Redmayne 08-13-2016 10:52 AM

Common sense ...

Given I suffer from alcoholism which as I understand it is a two fold illness/disease comprising of a physical allergy and a mental obsession ( see 'The Doctor's Opinion' in the book 'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed.) as opposed to an addiction to alcohol, which comprises solely of a mental obsession, I really couldn't comment.

But common sense aligned with the fact this is the Alcoholism forum suggest it's an old wives tale...perhaps not least because alcoholism is the only illness/disease that'll kill you whilst at the same time telling you, you haven't got it! Which indicates the chances of quitting and then picking it up again either don't really exist or are at best limited...as I understand it death tends to be permanent.

Che 08-13-2016 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville (Post 6089698)
Somewhat related to this, I was told that for as many years as a person was addicted, that was how many tries it would take to quit. Old wives tale?

(Don't mean to hijack this thread...)

Worse. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

One of the scariest things you can read about when learning about drugs and how they work is the failure rates for people who try to quit once they've become addicted.

I also think there's a tonne of people who don't question enough how much and how often they're drinking.

steve-in-kville 08-13-2016 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Che (Post 6089904)
Worse. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You mean like addicts make it harder on themselves by believing those *alleged" facts?

KAD 08-13-2016 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan (Post 6089363)

Apparently the link won't work in the US?

Forward12 08-13-2016 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by GetMeOut (Post 6090441)
Apparently the link won't work in the US?

It's trying to get me to register. I'm not sure if this is the same video, but I found this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDXM2DxW_Jg

Dame 08-13-2016 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville (Post 6090249)
You mean like addicts make it harder on themselves by believing those *alleged" facts?

Quite possibly? I'm not going to pay any attention to ANYONE who suggests I will fail. I will happily attend to those who relate their successes and encourage mine.